Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 PM

667 posts, read 2,300,983 times

Advertisements

I cook ALOT! And my husband is always inviting people over for "my" dishes, because he loves to show off that his wife is a good cook!

And I make most of my dishes from my head, no recipes (usually... there are those moments), some memorized & most not.
I just don't know what to consider "my" dish. I'm not a gourmet cook, I'm from Louisiana & I am absolutely into putting a Cajun spin on just about everything, but I do make alot of differnt types/styles of dishes.

What can you claim as your own?
Something that is made often from the top of one's head?
A dish that is just thrown together even though you know that this dish has been made before, but with your own twist to it?
A dish that you have perfected in your own little way over the years that originally started as a recipe?

How do I determine that it's MY recipe/dish?

Last edited by collected_eve; 01-02-2008 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,562 times
My husband says I'm "pretty good with the slop dishes." Sounds so appealing doesn't it?? LOL. He's talking about my left over inventions. I'm a good cook, but I'm the queen of one dish left-over masterpieces. LOL. Give me some chicken, sour cream, can of cream of something and look out!!! I'm my own hamburger helper .

Old 01-02-2008, 01:32 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I can be a bit of a "what do I have in the cupboard" kind of cook but I seem to have perfected this yummy beef and wine stew ( sometimes I use Guiness), with mushrooms, carrots, lots and lots of herbs ( fresh and dried), onions, garlic, tomato and vegetable paste and a hint of balsamic vinegar.

I first cook it for a 3 hours on low heat. Put it in the fridge overnight and then re-peat the process for another couple of days. By that time the meat is incredibly tender, and everything beautifully marinated in its own juices.

I also make quite a good chicken ( breasts) , marinated with five-spice, olive oil ( and a drop of sesame oil) and garlic, then grill it or fry it very gently and serve with noodles. It actually tastes quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink