Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 06:06 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times

Advertisements

They picked manicotti for New Jersey, and it cracked me up because it was so true. My family is only part Italian, but pasta side dishes are expected at any banquet, not matter your ethnicity. I remember my grandmother (of Eastern European extraction) getting cranked when one of her senior lunch banquets came up short. "JrzD, they didn't even have pencil points with the meal!"

Manicotti was another common side dish in my family. Someone was always making it for whatever meal - Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter...

So they did get that right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:22 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Very interesting! I was brought up in NY and now live in Ohio. String Bean Casserole is popular in both places. As are creamed miniature onions.

This Thanksgiving I am adding a Grits Souffle, a recipe that I got from you, No Kudzu.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Turkey tamales....eh....probably not. Traditional tamales though...yessir!

Old 11-22-2014, 04:09 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I'm in Oregon, and one year a friend of mine decided to have Thanksgiving Oregon-style with salmon, which I thought was a novel idea.

Old 11-22-2014, 07:34 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
They've got turkey tamales for Texas. I agree about tamales, but I've never seen turkey tamales here.
I know. We grew up making hundreds of dozens of tamales every year, never turkey and never at thanksgiving. I saw that picture and it made me want to barf!

They didn't even spread the masa right. I guess they are made that way so the ends are twisted and tied, instead of rolled and folded.

Should have picked pecan pie. Have a bumper crop of pecans from my trees this year.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:44 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Oyster dressing for Alabama?!?! It's good, I know, but it's primarily limited to the Gulf Coast - an area that might account for 5% of Alabama.

Oh, and those shrimp-stuffed mirlitons (chayotes), attributed to Louisiana, are very good.
I made oyster dressing when I lived in North Carolina... and I moved there from Pennsylvania. What are you going to do about that?

Old 11-23-2014, 07:04 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
They picked manicotti for New Jersey, and it cracked me up because it was so true. My family is only part Italian, but pasta side dishes are expected at any banquet, not matter your ethnicity. I remember my grandmother (of Eastern European extraction) getting cranked when one of her senior lunch banquets came up short. "JrzD, they didn't even have pencil points with the meal!"

Manicotti was another common side dish in my family. Someone was always making it for whatever meal - Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter...

So they did get that right.
Sounds like a stereotype to me. This might come as a giant shock to people, but long before Italians made their way to Jersey, which was mostly less than one hundred years ago, Jersey was primarily populated by Dutch, English, Swedish and a few other northern European groups and some black people, NOT Italians. I don't know anyone who would put manicotti on the table for Thanksgiving. I have heard of Italians eating lasagne on Thanksgiving before the turkey, but that's not the norm for non-Italians any more than would be wonton soup or burritos on the table.

I'm certainly glad that Italian food made its way to my home state, but it's not traditional holiday food for the rest of us.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:41 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Sounds like a stereotype to me. This might come as a giant shock to people, but long before Italians made their way to Jersey, which was mostly less than one hundred years ago, Jersey was primarily populated by Dutch, English, Swedish and a few other northern European groups and some black people, NOT Italians. I don't know anyone who would put manicotti on the table for Thanksgiving. I have heard of Italians eating lasagne on Thanksgiving before the turkey, but that's not the norm for non-Italians any more than would be wonton soup or burritos on the table.

I'm certainly glad that Italian food made its way to my home state, but it's not traditional holiday food for the rest of us.
I'm with you MQ. The only time I saw pasta on a holiday table was when we were guests of an Italian family.
The first time I experienced that was at a boyfriend's house. I ate the pasta, and was floored when it was taken away and replaced by a full turkey dinner. I was already full. I do appreciate an invitation to the fish feast on Christmas Eve though!

I was sure NJ would get credit for cranberries, not manicotti!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:40 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Fun article trying to find one particular recipe which represents each state. Quite a kerfuffle over Grape Salad for Minnesota. Many are laughing at that saying they never heard of it.

'Grape Salad' Is Not Minnesotan, And Other Lessons In Cultural Mapmaking : Monkey See : NPR

For N.C. it picks Sweet Potato Cornbread which I've never heard of either but we surely do love our cornbread and sweet potatoes so why not put the two together.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ates.html?_r=0
The facebook thread about the grape salad is a riot....even quiet nasty by Miinesota standards. (There is a reason people call it 'Minnesota nice'....lol).

I agree it sounds horrid...and if so many people have never heard of it...than the ball was really dropped even if the writer of the article double downed on it on facebook.

I've had Sweet potato cornbread at a restaurant in Raleigh...so that is pretty on spot.

Wisconsin (where I currently live)...ah....wild rice...yeah....but really...it's all about the cheese or beer.

Ohio (where I grew up)....yeah....I've had the pea and pearl onion dish quite often...it's okay...but not really sure just how 'ohioian' it is.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:17 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Interesting list and while I do not agree with many being traditional dishes, I did print a few out to try myself. Not for Thanksgiving but for other times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink