Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,773,252 times

Advertisements

I was in the supermarket yesterday looking for yogurt with no sugar and out of all the brands there wasn't one that had no sugar. Whats up? They don't have to use sugar to make yogurt do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 07:52 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,275,144 times
Plain greek yogurt doesn't have any added sugar. All yogurts, however, have naturally occurring sugar, as do most dairy products.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:22 PM

147 posts, read 178,217 times
I'm Bulgarian-American so I have to say this:

You can EASILY make your own yogurt and it tastes far better than anything you can find in the store. Yogurt makers come with individual cups with lids, really simple and it's just the culture and your choice of milk.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:42 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinska View Post
I'm Bulgarian-American so I have to say this:

You can EASILY make your own yogurt and it tastes far better than anything you can find in the store. Yogurt makers come with individual cups with lids, really simple and it's just the culture and your choice of milk.
How sour is the product? What strains do you recommend to cut down on acidity/sourness?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
Milk contains naturally ocurring sugar called lactose. That sugar is reflected in the nutritional information. Plain unsweetened Greek yogurt nutrition information will show grams of sugar, but it is the natural sugar, not any added sugar. The flavored yogurts often have added sugar.

Make your own yogurt - it's easy! You don't even need any special equipment. A few pots, a few glass jars with lids, a heating pad, and a few towels can work.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 PM

147 posts, read 178,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
How sour is the product? What strains do you recommend to cut down on acidity/sourness?
I have no idea what is happening to supermarket yogurt, to me it tastes spoiled. Homemade yogurt tastes a bit tart, but smooth, never sour.

I just use yo-gourmet out of the box, but you can order culture bulgaricus online from different retailers.

Also PeachSalsa is correct about lactose, that always irritates me when people say: "yogurt has more sugar than a snickers bar". Well sure if it has jam, but still, factor in the milk sugars...

Old 12-01-2014, 09:27 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
As previous posters have said, sugar-free yogurt does not exist, as milk naturally contains sugar. You should be able to find yogurt with no added sugar, though.

Can you find Mountain High yogurt? I buy the plain, full-fat version, in a large tub (I think 32 ounces). It's thick and creamy.

As for the slight sourness, you get used to it. I eat plain yogurt with sweet fruit like peaches or strawberries, and it's really good.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:23 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
As previous posters have said, sugar-free yogurt does not exist, as milk naturally contains sugar. You should be able to find yogurt with no added sugar, though.

Can you find Mountain High yogurt? I buy the plain, full-fat version, in a large tub (I think 32 ounces). It's thick and creamy.

As for the slight sourness, you get used to it. I eat plain yogurt with sweet fruit like peaches or strawberries, and it's really good.
Yes. Buy plain yogurt and add some sliced peaches or strawberries. It's not sweet and it's healthier.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
As has been noted, all yogurt has lactose. But believe me, the yogurt craze only started when companies added artificial sweeteners and promoted it as a "diet"food. Few people like the tang of plain yogurt, which happens to be my preference. I always liked the real thing and was eating it before it became a fad.

Don't worry about the natural sugar present, and steer clear of artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, and "shoo-fly pie"varieties. Yogurt is a very healthful food in its natural state.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I recommend making your own at home. It's super easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink