Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 07:40 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,623,751 times

Advertisements

It’s not news that soda is bad for us. But it is jarring to witness the physical effects drinking too much of it has on our waistlines.

George Prior, 50, has guinea-pigged his body to do just that.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/its-not...089767387.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 10:23 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,842,291 times
Lol yet another example of how moderation really is the key.

Who's going to drink 10 cans of pop every day for a month? Also, the calories in the pop are what mattered with respect to his weight gain. If he'd eaten 10 avocados a day for a month, he'd have gained the same amount of weight.

So the headline "This is what happens when you have 10 Cokes [or avocados] a day," is meaningless.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:15 PM

837 posts, read 961,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
If he'd eaten 10 avocados a day for a month, he'd have gained the same amount of weight.
If you bothered to read the article, you would have seen the explanation for why calories and sugar were responsible for this sort of weight gain. The article also isn't just focused on weight gain, but expands on other health risks caused by consuming so much sugar...not just extra belly fat on your frame.

I'm not sure what data you're basing your statement on concerning avocados yielding the same weight gain. Avocados are processed by the body very differently than artificial soda and are full of good fat and only 1.3 grams of sugar per avocado. I imagine that would cause a much different variety of changes than binging on 390 grams of sugar and empty calories.

Quote:
Ten cans of soda seems excessive, but Prior was consuming just twice the amount of added sugar that the average American eats daily. According to the USDA, Americans eat 156 pounds of added sugar every year, which breaks down to 194 grams per day. During his challenge, Prior drank 390 grams of added sugar daily.

The Recommended Daily Allowance of sugar for men is 36 grams, and 24 grams for women.

"Most people know that soda is not good for them, but for some reason, they think the risk of excess sugar consumption is less than that of having too much saturated and trans fat, sodium or calories," Kristin Kirkpatrick, R.D, wellness manager at the Cleveland Clinic, told Yahoo Health. “Perhaps it’s sugar’s lack of sodium or fat that makes it the lesser of several evils, or perhaps people are simply of the mind frame that what they don’t know won’t hurt them.”

Sugar not only makes us pack on pounds, but it can also damage your heart, is linked to cancer, is as toxic to your liver as too much alcohol and can even make your brain age quicker and accelerate memory loss.
The comparison to avocados is a little weird since the issue highlighted here is sugar. Not consumption of monounsaturated fats.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:28 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,439,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Lol yet another example of how moderation really is the key.

Who's going to drink 10 cans of pop every day for a month? Also, the calories in the pop are what mattered with respect to his weight gain. If he'd eaten 10 avocados a day for a month, he'd have gained the same amount of weight.

So the headline "This is what happens when you have 10 Cokes [or avocados] a day," is meaningless.

Man, I worked with a guy who was doing 10 in an 8 hour shift. I'm telling you, his teeth looked like they were made of paste, and I am CONVINCED he didn't actually "drink" the pop. I now believe he would just put the can to his mouth, and the pop would be absorbed by his teeth, and be immediately directed into his blood stream.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:57 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,040,317 times
yuck.... can not imagine consuming so much soda..... I may have ONE fountain soda a month....

Old 12-03-2014, 10:07 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,480,233 times
At one point my husband was drinking alot of Coke. Ten cans a day seems about right. He decided to quit, switched to one large coffee a day. Almost instantly he lost a noticeable amount of weight and got his gout under control.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:59 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,568,656 times
What his sequel going to be? "This is what happens when you eat 10 bags of sugar in a week."

What a clown.

p.s. - "alot" isn't a word. Like "alittle" isn't a word.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:14 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,480,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What his sequel going to be? "This is what happens when you eat 10 bags of sugar in a week."

What a clown.

p.s. - "alot" isn't a word. Like "alittle" isn't a word.
Gee thanks. I will let my autocorrect know! I personally never argue with it.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:07 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
Can of coke has 140 calories.

10 cans per day = increase of 1400 calories per day

<sarcasm>And he GAINED WEIGHT!!?!!??</sarcasm>

Shouldn't this be filed under "no s@#t"?

A rice cake has 35 calories. If you eat 40 rice cakes per day with no additional exercise.. I suspect you'd wind up looking much the same as this guy. Doesn't mean that rice cakes are bad for you.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,724,515 times
Our former roommate's son drank Coke like this. His teeth were brown and eroded--his front teeth were nubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink