Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:32 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I got I what you were going for....but it's not really an excuse for snubbing others because of a random TV show.
I get what you're saying -- it's painting with a wide brush -- but it happens all the time, regarding pot lucks or something else. You get an idea in your head and it's hard to banish. I'm guilty of that too. Here's a weird example of what I mean: I have to get the head and foot stones for my father's grave. In thinking of a personal message to have engraved on it, I came up with something that I loved. But if one particular letter got dirty or covered or something so that it couldn't be seen, it would change the entire meaning. The likelihood of that happening? Probably zilch. But the idea got in my head and I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I changed what I'm going to have engraved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 10:36 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Is this nasty comment really necessary? Seriously?

You can't belittle people who are concerned about the hygiene and food preparation practices of others. Afterall, they will be consuming food (and possibly germs) generated in that person's home. They have every right to privately and openly question it.

It has nothing to do with people "so princessy and [thinking they are] above everyone else."

If you personally are preparing food for others, and know that your working/cooking conditions are sanitary, then you truly have no legitimate reason to sound snarky or derisive in your post above. Do you?

Denigrating others and their legitimate concerns is not cool.

Rethink and or Reread your posts prior to posting them.
Oh, step off. Most of us don't die because be eat a bit of tainted food once in a while. That's why humans vomit and have diarrhea. I have never--never--become ill from food I've eaten at a pot luck.

Old 12-18-2014, 01:34 AM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
I like Potlucks. I live in the Pacific Northwest we invented them.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:20 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
So all your co-workers are the same as someone on an episode of horders?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I doubt that her dog is a hoarder.
She would be if I let her. I actually do have coworkers but they work from home too.

Quote:
I got I what you were going for....but it's not really an excuse for snubbing others because of a random TV show.
That episode loomed large. I'm lucky that I haven't had to creatively decline since seeing it. I've been to other potlucks that were fine, but it ruined me for office ones. I really think you're getting overly emotional about this. *shrug*

Old 12-18-2014, 04:50 AM

555 posts, read 804,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
'Tis the season for holiday potlucks, is it not? Do you like potluck dinners or luncheons? I must say I have mixed feelings about them. On the one hand, it is kind of fun to try a lot of different food prepared by friends, family, colleagues (in the case of workplace potlucks). Lots of variety, styles, techniques, and so on. But on the other hand, the thought of eating food prepared in who knows what kind of sanitary kitchen conditions is the thing that niggles at me when I think about it too much...ha! That, and when people participating in a potluck bring a bag of Doritos from the gas station or a bottle of Coke.

How do you feel about potlucks? Love them? Hate them?
Love potlucks. Of course, there's all that food without putting in the time to prep that food, but it's great place for getting recipes, too. Having grown up attending potlucks that were real potlucks (homemade food, usually the recipe that was the pride and joy of the person cooking that dish), and not just a mishmash of takeout, Doritos, and such, I'm somewhat dismayed by what I've noticed to be the increasing prevalence of non-homemade dishes. But as long as the majority of food is homemade, I say that's OK by me. Besides, there's always going to be someone who doesn't cook -- those are the people who get assigned to bring (store bought) "drinks" and "napkins, plates."

Old 12-18-2014, 07:26 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
I used to go to church "fellowship meals" with my parents. Dishes were mostly vegan, though a few had cheese.

Millet or quinoa patties, muffins without eggs... salads, lentil soup... Some just opened cans of olives.

Even after a long sermon, it was hard to work up the appetite for such unappealing food.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:21 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
My neighborhood has several a year. The gluten free bring gluten free, the vegan bring vegan.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:28 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Having grown up attending potlucks that were real potlucks (homemade food, usually the recipe that was the pride and joy of the person cooking that dish), and not just a mishmash of takeout, Doritos, and such, I'm somewhat dismayed by what I've noticed to be the increasing prevalence of non-homemade dishes.
Can you really blame people, though? If you're in a workplace where a significant number of people are wrinkling their noses at homemade offerings, it would be hard to rationalize why taking the time and effort is worth it. I know I wouldn't put in the effort again if my dish got snubbed.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:51 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
In my last job I worked with 2 ladies who made a big deal about how they would never eat food from someone else's kitchen because "you don't know where their hands have been". It did come off as snobbish and made me feel bad, even though they weren't talking specifically about food I was planning to bring. From their comments, I assumed my food was going to be boycotted as well. I'm scrupulous about cooking in a clean kitchen, and with clean hands, as I believe most people are, and it was pretty offensive.

If I stated I would never touch the keys on a fax machine without wiping them down with disinfectant wipes first because "you never know where people's hands have been", I wonder what the reaction would be from my 2 office co-workers? You'd better believe they would be offended. Same thing with the food prep. It's the attitude of "I know I'M clean but not so sure about you", that is offensive.

If I held that kind of attitude I'd never have had the chance to taste some really delicious food and get new recipes to try.

Old 12-18-2014, 12:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
In my last job I worked with 2 ladies who made a big deal about how they would never eat food from someone else's kitchen because "you don't know where their hands have been". It did come off as snobbish and made me feel bad, even though they weren't talking specifically about food I was planning to bring. From their comments, I assumed my food was going to be boycotted as well. I'm scrupulous about cooking in a clean kitchen, and with clean hands, as I believe most people are, and it was pretty offensive.

If I stated I would never touch the keys on a fax machine without wiping them down with disinfectant wipes first because "you never know where people's hands have been", I wonder what the reaction would be from my 2 office co-workers? You'd better believe they would be offended. Same thing with the food prep. It's the attitude of "I know I'M clean but not so sure about you", that is offensive.

If I held that kind of attitude I'd never have had the chance to taste some really delicious food and get new recipes to try.
Somebody should follow those people around Lysol-ing everything they touch, and then be all, "What? I'm just keeping germs down...NO OFFENSE."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink