Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,565,794 times

Advertisements

Love them. Unless you get the potluck nazi in the mix who tries to control and coordinate how many salads, who's bringing what, "Oh, no dear you can't bring another pasta dish..."

The alternative would be something prepared by someone else anyway, unless you cooked it all yourself.

And when you get your choice ahead of what you must choose to eat on some day in the future, I always ended up wishing I'd ordered the other dish ha ha. Dang, that salmon looks good, why did I order chicken again!"

EDIT: CSD610, we were posting at the same time LOL! I like the idea of a list, and then let people police themselves as to whether there are too many pasta dishes, etc. It's the control freak I could never stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 PM

32,968 posts, read 36,456,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Love them. Unless you get the potluck nazi in the mix who tries to control and coordinate how many salads, who's bringing what, "Oh, no dear you can't bring another pasta dish..."

The alternative would be something prepared by someone else anyway, unless you cooked it all yourself.

And when you get your choice ahead of what you must choose to eat on some day in the future, I always ended up wishing I'd ordered the other dish ha ha. Dang, that salmon looks good, why did I order chicken again!"

EDIT: CSD610, we were posting at the same time LOL! I like the idea of a list, and then let people police themselves as to whether there are too many pasta dishes, etc. It's the control freak I could never stand.
I guess I've been lucky. All of the pot luck dinners I've participated in involved cash for the main course, grilled food or BBQ, and everyone contributing salads, side dishes and desserts. I think a bit of organization is necessary. You don't want everyone to show up with a salad or a dessert.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,318,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I guess I've been lucky. All of the pot luck dinners I've participated in involved cash for the main course, grilled food or BBQ, and everyone contributing salads, side dishes and desserts. I think a bit of organization is necessary. You don't want everyone to show up with a salad or a dessert.

I always knew what I was going to bring though because someone would always put Pizza for me and it wasn't me doing it.
They all loved my homemade pizza and it was required at every potluck; it is a good thing I did not mind making and carrying that thing to work every other month.
I think it weighed 5 pounds.......LOL

Old 12-11-2014, 11:48 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,241,263 times
I don't like them, I'm allergic to gluten and other things so I just find it a big pain in the butt.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:16 AM

32,968 posts, read 36,456,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I always knew what I was going to bring though because someone would always put Pizza for me and it wasn't me doing it.
They all loved my homemade pizza and it was required at every potluck; it is a good thing I did not mind making and carrying that thing to work every other month.
I think it weighed 5 pounds.......LOL
Oh, now I need some of your pizza. I know how good pizza tastes, and I just can't do it at home. I've tried.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:24 AM

23,253 posts, read 29,103,005 times
Being I work with so many Filipino's at a LTC/Rehab facility, we're bound to get lots of Filipino food at the pot lucks. Every night I'm there, they're always there to share their food with other workers, and, in general, I just don't care for their food! Some of it is just OK, some of it too foreign to my taste buds, and some of it tasty.

I've been a great cook for decades, and perhaps I'm just too fussy, but, overall, I'm not all that crazy about pot lucks!

Old 12-12-2014, 06:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,755,002 times
Since I became a contractor and got out the office environment about 15 years ago it's one of the things I miss. However I do get invited to many of my suppliers and clients potlucks. Yum just show up with some liquor or soft drinks depending and CHOWTIME.

My wife is usually the brings the best dish to her office parties. She gets requests for certain dishes at certain times or the year alobondiga soup, pozole soup, fresh lasagne and tamales are the most requested this time of year. poeple just don't understand the time effort and money that goes into making them. It's not a casserole dearie.

Oh can your husband make one of his fresh berry or double fluffy pumpkin pies with the home made crusts?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I don't like them, I'm allergic to gluten and other things so I just find it a big pain in the butt.
So bring something yourself that you CAN eat and that others will enjoy, too!

I used to be an extremely picky eater for about the first 20 years of my life (before my husband got me hooked on a couple of things and then took me to where they didn't exist, and I got over it gradually). Even then, back in the dark ages, I knew that I could join in the festivities by bringing something I liked for myself and others to enjoy. I didn't have to eat what others brought, if they were things I didn't enjoy, or bring attention to the fact that I didn't care for them, but I could still be social.

How do you deal with going to someone else's house for dinner? Or do you just not do that?

Old 12-12-2014, 08:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,897,654 times
I love them; the least of my worries is germs, heck, most of us come in contact with germs every hour of every day, even in our own homes whether we think so or not and I am not going to worry about who does and does not have a pet. This Sunday evening our small bible study class is having a pot luck, just appitizers but there will be a good selection I am sure. The host home is furnishing all the alcohol, we are doing the rest. I am taking cocktail cream puffs, 1/2 with seafood and 1/2 with chicken salad.

Old 12-12-2014, 08:53 AM

696 posts, read 908,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
...."Christmas in the South" potluck (favorite southern US comfort foods)...
Chitterlings and possum. Bon appetit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink