Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,686,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Love them. Unless you get the potluck nazi in the mix who tries to control and coordinate how many salads, who's bringing what, "Oh, no dear you can't bring another pasta dish..."
I'm fine with this being planned. At one of my previous workplaces, we would do a sign-up with room for x number of entrees, x number of sides, whatever. if it wasn't broken out into categories, lunch was 10 bags of chips, a couple of varieties of Lofthouse sugar cookies, and about a 20 people scrapping over the contents of a single bucket of fast food chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 09:46 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,289,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
Chitterlings and possum. Bon appetit!
Uh, no. We're not that far south.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:54 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,135,787 times
I loved them and still do we had one lady she was german and she would make the best struedel and omg I loved that stuff . Then the Asian lady brought cabbage rolls and I always made a pig of myself over those too . I took a homemade pizza and a chicken paprikash and everyone gushed over that ....

Old 12-12-2014, 01:01 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,289,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Love them. Unless you get the potluck nazi in the mix who tries to control and coordinate how many salads, who's bringing what, "Oh, no dear you can't bring another pasta dish..."
I have never been to a potluck that didn't have a list of some sort.

I always bring my Teriyaki chicken wings.

I like them okay. If I could just grab my food and go back to my office, I would enjoy it more. It's the obligatory socializing that comes with the potluck that I can't stand.

Old 12-12-2014, 01:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,912,967 times
We had a Christmas potluck where I worked and all the single guys brought something from a grocery store bakery. One of the engineers brought a frozen pie, straight out of the box - it still had ice crystals on it.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:29 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,936,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
We had a Christmas potluck where I worked and all the single guys brought something from a grocery store bakery. One of the engineers brought a frozen pie, straight out of the box - it still had ice crystals on it.
Oh, I have seen the Sara Lee frozen pies at potlucks, too...LOL! That and the round tub of cookies they sell at gas stations and quick marts. I've even seen people set a box of Little Debbie swiss rolls on the food table. I worked with a guy a long time ago who would bring a big bowl of apples. It's funny---no one picked an apple during the luncheon, but a few days later, all of apples (and the frozen pie pieces and Little Debbies!) disappeared!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:14 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,349,222 times
I like pot-lucks of all types as long as people are actually cooking the food.

Things that I get tired of at potlucks:

1) Potato and tortilla chips in the bag
2) Costco food
3) Fast foods of all sorts - especially hamburgers

As for Filipino food, bring it on. I used to have a staff of Filipino employees. When they came to the US, I put them up in a room with a kitchenettes. They started bringing me lunch everyday. Great food, but after a while, I had to decline as I did not want them spending their per diems on my lunch.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:17 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,532,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Love them.
I work with a very diverse bunch. They bring everything from jerk to pancit to sio pao to curried stew chicken to patties to falafel to tarama, etc.
I want to work where you work!!

Old 12-12-2014, 04:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,351,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I like pot-lucks of all types as long as people are actually cooking the food.

Things that I get tired of at potlucks:

1) Potato and tortilla chips in the bag
2) Costco food
3) Fast foods of all sorts - especially hamburgers

As for Filipino food, bring it on. I used to have a staff of Filipino employees. When they came to the US, I put them up in a room with a kitchenettes. They started bringing me lunch everyday. Great food, but after a while, I had to decline as I did not want them spending their per diems on my lunch.
Well, the last potluck I went to, I brought some killer pastries from my local French patisserie. They disappeared in a heartbeat.
I don't bake.

Old 12-12-2014, 05:24 PM

418 posts, read 729,970 times
I love potlucks. I don't even mind when people bring chips. I love chips, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink