Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 09:47 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninotchka P View Post
The gluten. I have celiac disease.
Picking the gluten off is really time-consuming, I find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 09:50 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Green peppers just over power the whole thing for me... that is all I taste ...and
since they are an unripe vegetable, so I was told...they give me an upset tummy.

I might take off pineapple...but I would take one bite first at least.
that's it...I'm a go on anything else!
So in a group that is my input...I don't think that's terrible...2 things.
The only thing that comes to mind right away is anchovies- I hate fish. But I think if I got a pizza with anchovies I'd have to send it back and order a new one sans anchovies, the things leave little "fishy" smelling spots where they were laying, and I think I could still taste them even if they were picked off.

I don't think I'd order any kind of a pizza that came with pineapples on it, LOL.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springazure View Post
The more I think about it... my mother and step-dad had this 20+yr ritual of every Sunday night. Mother would take a Tombstone pizza and proceed to load it up with all sorts of extras! That sucker was LOADED with extra meat, veggies, cheese, etc. It was tall and thick!

It was their ritual. They loved it. Occasionally I was invited. As a result... I do the same thing, sometimes. Except... I take the onions, peppers, mushrooms and basically pulverize them into a puree.... and mix it up with everything else, before spreading that extra top layer of goodies.

That way I get the subtle flavor without the overpowering flavor. Make sense?
Do you mean that you take the pulverized onions, peppers and mushrooms and spread them back on the same pizza they came from, or do you save the puree for the next pizza?

I just wondered if folks pick off those goodies, if they save them for some other use, or toss them.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Barbecue chicken. If I have one of those barbecue chicken pizzas in front of me, first I meticulously pick each piece of chicken off and throw in trash.

Then using a spatula or broad bladed knife, I proceed to scrape the barbecue sauce and the contaminated cheese off and throw in trash.

Finally I place the remaining crust back into the box and throw in trash.

Then I call a pizzeria that would never cook such an abomination and order a proper pizza from them :-)
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I agree that barbecued chicken on a pizza is not really a pizza. I'd probably just send the thing back.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
So many anchovy haters. I understand it, though, because it's such a STRONG flavor, but I find it more salty than fishy. Mmmm salt. I love anchovies on my pizza.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
So many anchovy haters. I understand it, though, because it's such a STRONG flavor, but I find it more salty than fishy. Mmmm salt. I love anchovies on my pizza.
Me too!! Why would anyone order a pizza with a topping they would pick off??
I order pizza half sausage for hubbie and half mushroom for me with anchovies on side as hubbie would claim he tasted them even if just on my side...lol

Old 01-12-2015, 10:25 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Anchovies and onions definitely flavore that migrate.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:54 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I went to one the these overrated artisan wood burning oven pizza joints in Chicago a few years ago and I had to literally sponge off all of the grease floating off the top of the pizza.

I have never had to remove any of the toppings.
I have had to use a paper napkin to dab the grease off pizza slices too. I hate seeing puddles of grease on my pizza!

Old 01-12-2015, 10:58 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
I don't like them as the pizza places uses crappy anchovies. I like only certain ones that are salted/cured. I remember once I was eating a margherita pizza and apparently a lone anchovy landed on my pizza during the making of it and was hidden under a tomato slice.

I remember biting down and a burst of salty overly fishy oily taste permeated throughout my mouth. I actually gagged. (I hate canned tuna for this reason) So I learned the hard way that I don't like cheap nasty oily anchovies on my pizza. But I do love the good cured ones in homemade pizzas or sauces etc.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
I agree (on the "salty v. fishy" stance, not on the "I love anchovies" one). I've only had anchovies on pizza a few times, when dining with people who really liked them, and to me it was far more salty than fishy. Not anything I'd crave myself, but also not horrifically offputting (and I don't care for strong fishy flavors at all).

I do like bagna cauda, however...go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink