Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 06:29 PM

174 posts, read 190,451 times

Advertisements

So even though I'm in my 40's, I'm still kind of new to the whole sliced-to-order lunchmeat at the deli counter thing. So after getting slimy/off smelling lunch meat from the 'normal' stores a couple times, I decided I'd only get it from the 'higher end' stores. But just now, I threw away a pound of BBQ chicken breast - slimy *and* off smell. I mean, this is as soon as I got it home. I should've tasted it in the store, I know. I also know I could've taken it back, but I'm more the type that I just never go to that store/restaurant/deli counter again.

Anyway, is this common? Am I doing something wrong (buying what's on sale)? Misinterpreting sliminess or smell? (that's why I'm not going to name any names). Remember, this is as soon as I get it home, not after it's been in fridge for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 10:40 PM

811 posts, read 1,150,778 times
Oh my, if you could see what the inside of those deli meat/cheese display cases often look like... It's terrifying. In another life I ran health code/food safety inspections in such establishments and it involved checking dates and conditions in deli cases of all sorts. Out of dates (so many!), mold, built-up dirt and crud, listeria risks due to moisture... ALL rampant in more deli counters than not (grocery, specialty...). So, yes, I'd say your trouble is probably common. (No, your chicken should not be slimy, and you should trust your instincts on the smell.)

That said, there were a handful of delis that, even after getting up close and personal with their stuff, I would happily order from (like 4 out of 60+, honestly). They had some things in common that coincide with these tips:

1 - The store should do A LOT of business. If it's busy, then it's turning over it's product quickly = you don't get served out of date lunch meat.
2 - The place is well-staffed (enough help to run a tight ship) and feels/appears organized and clean when you look at their counters, slicers, and the rest of the shop. I guarantee if their production counters, slicers, etc. are a mess of stuff, then their meat case is a hundred times worse. Never did I find clean, fresh, compliant meat cases that did not also have clean, organized work spaces and shopfronts.
3 - Don't be afraid to be a "picky" customer and ask them how long a product has been open. If they don't know, then you have a problem either because they are not dating the product at the end of each day like they're supposed to (date should be right on the package) or because they are too disorganized to know what's what.
4 - Sample before you buy, every time. This is one of the great benefits of buying meats and cheeses from a deli counter. You can have tastes and make sure that the chicken isn't slimy or off-smelling before you take home a whole pound of it. If you're in a deli that balks at sampling the first slice of each item, then it's not a deli you want to spend your money at.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:50 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,288,148 times
ask to see the first slice...whether you want to sample it, or just look a the correct thickness,,,
when looking at the slice, look for darker edges, or slimyness as you say

that's all you gotta do..... and never have a problem again..

if you are 40 and new to the whole deli scene.....then realize a couple things

the first...is ...if you are buying something for the first time,,,yes, ask for a sample,,,don't buy a whole pound of it..

the second,,if you go to buy something really cheap like boiled ham for 1.99-2.99lb, or turkey breast breast for 3.99lb, its the cheaper meats with high moisture contents...

the third...if you are dissatisfied with the product, take it back ,,,and complain,,,,they will refund you the money

Old 09-16-2015, 04:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
So even though I'm in my 40's, I'm still kind of new to the whole sliced-to-order lunchmeat at the deli counter thing. So after getting slimy/off smelling lunch meat from the 'normal' stores a couple times, I decided I'd only get it from the 'higher end' stores. But just now, I threw away a pound of BBQ chicken breast - slimy *and* off smell. I mean, this is as soon as I got it home. I should've tasted it in the store, I know. I also know I could've taken it back, but I'm more the type that I just never go to that store/restaurant/deli counter again.

Anyway, is this common? Am I doing something wrong (buying what's on sale)? Misinterpreting sliminess or smell? (that's why I'm not going to name any names). Remember, this is as soon as I get it home, not after it's been in fridge for a while.
My opion and it is just that an opinion: if you seem to be getting what you think is bad lunch meat, both in the packaged lunch meat section of a store and the deli I am guessing it might have more to do with you than the store. Of course anyone can and does get back or partly spoiled meat or produce from a store on occassions. Then you say you do not take it back, but choose to not ever shop at that store again. If we all did that most stores would go out of business. It is best to return it, not only for the store but for other customers. How is xxx strore going to know something isn't good to sell if no one tells them. NO, buying on sale is not the problem. It is a wise person who does look for sales. But be aware of prices that are too cheap and don't hesitate to ask for a taste or at least see the product you are buying. I know our local grocery store is very dependable and the food is normally very good, bu we have gotten spoiled berries in the produce dept a few times and I did get turkey breast about a month ago that wasn't good. Yes, I took both back and yes, a refund was gladly givern.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:11 AM

16,404 posts, read 30,341,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if you are 40 and new to the whole deli scene.....then realize a couple things

the first...is ...if you are buying something for the first time,,,yes, ask for a sample,,,don't buy a whole pound of it..

the second,,if you go to buy something really cheap like boiled ham for 1.99-2.99lb, or turkey breast breast for 3.99lb, its the cheaper meats with high moisture contents...

the third...if you are dissatisfied with the product, take it back ,,,and complain,,,,they will refund you the money

Like usual, Maine gives some very good points. Let me add a few more.

First, stick with delis that have a lot of volume. For example, my favorite place in the Chicago suburbs was an independent called Joseph's Marketplace. I do not recall ever going there after work or on the weekends where there were less than 10-15 people in line. Needless to say, they used up a lot of meat daily. I have been in the local Safeway and never see anyone at the deli. Want to guess which product is freshest?

Second, you have to even look at the high volume places. While they go through TONS of popular cuts and sale items, there are some products that are slow movers. For example, they will sell more Hormel hard salami than low-sodium salami or Lebanon balogna. I would probably ask for a sample.

Third, look for basic sanitation. Do the employees wash their hands and use plastic gloves and hair protection. Do they clean their machines to avoid cross contamination? Are the employees clean? Are the temperatures on the equipment less than 40F?

Old 09-16-2015, 02:23 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,342,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
So after getting slimy/off smelling lunch meat from the 'normal' stores a couple times, I decided I'd only get it from the 'higher end' stores. But just now, I threw away a pound of BBQ chicken breast - slimy *and* off smell.
If this is happening at multiple stores, it's not the stores or the meat. It's you.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:56 PM

174 posts, read 190,451 times
Thanks everyone for the replies, esp. IslandCityGirl - makes a lot of sense. It's always worried me that the expiration dates usually aren't visible. Who knows how long the stuff's been around, or opened, or above 40 deg.?

Next time I buy lunchmeat (if I ever do again, I mean I made it this long right?), I'll definitely taste the sample offered instead of just looking at it's thickness. I have to wonder though, esp. with this last purchase, which was on sale, but certainly wasn't cheap ($8/lb.), if I'd sampled it I would've immed. turned it down. So how many times does a typical deli allow this to happen before they pitch the package? Do they just keep sloughing it off until enough people like throw it away? Or maybe it's just me like others have suggested.

Anyway, this seems like a whole lot of work for something which probably isn't that great for me anyway. I was mainly just looking to be able to make some low calorie wraps in bulk. I'll still keep watch for the elusive "always busy, high turnover" deli though.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:50 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,288,148 times
here's how most deli slice their loaves...

they keep a whole one in its package on full display and will usually slice one that's already open .....(out of sight )
most stores will slice then wrap, place in a plastic bag ,,,ready or the next order.

the loaves are usually good for at least a month,,,they are vac sealed,,,,

stores will also use these deli meats for sandwiches they make - so they are being used quickly

if you ask for a sample,,, they will give you one very thin slice.. to try

Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM

37,702 posts, read 46,130,512 times
I buy Dietz and Watson Maple Cured Turkey, by the pound, about once a month or so. I love the stuff. I usually get it at BJ's, as that is about the only place that sells it around here. Also get the Buffalo Chicken occasionally. None of it has ever been bad or slimy - always very fresh and delicious.

I really don't think I have ever purchased any fresh-sliced deli meat that was bad.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:20 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,995,640 times
Sadly I passed the kroger deli today because I read this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink