Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:38 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,368,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree that once you develop a taste for the real versions of the ethnic foods, you aren't really satisfied with the Americanized version. This happened to me after 2 stints of working in China, I just didn't really want to eat the Chinese food available in my area as it just wasn't the same and not good enough for my changed tastes.
If one has never had the real deal, then it is understandable that one might be satisfied with the local version of it.
Not entirely true. One can still like a slice of pepperoni pizza or a burrito from the US, even though they aren't truly ethnic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,393,502 times
Firstly why are people misusing the word ''ethnic''?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,737,452 times
Problem with many Americans is that they associate Ethnic food with poorly imitated versions. When someone claimed they've eaten sushi or Shepard's Pie and they didn't think it was all that special. It turns out they had terrible imitations.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Firstly why are people misusing the word ''ethnic''?
No one has misused the word "ethnic." Perhaps you should look-up the definition.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:33 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I agree that once you develop a taste for the real versions of the ethnic foods, you aren't really satisfied with the Americanized version. This happened to me after 2 stints of working in China, I just didn't really want to eat the Chinese food available in my area as it just wasn't the same and not good enough for my changed tastes.
If one has never had the real deal, then it is understandable that one might be satisfied with the local version of it.
My daughter is the same way. After going to school in China, she wasn't excited about eating Chinese food in the US. There was a place she felt was "authentic" in Jersey City--they had the standard Chinese-American menu, but they also had a Szechuan specialty menu, and since she had been in Chengdu, she was familiar with that food.

Now she's back in China, but in Beijing, and still misses the Szechuan flavors.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:01 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,766,212 times
When I moved from AZ to NJ, I totally understood authentic Mexican food. You aren't going to find it in NJ. When it hammered home for me was a visit to China. We were in a tour that took us only to Americanized restaurants, except one night, we went out to real chimes restaurant. Boy did I want the american Chinese!!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 PM

88,649 posts, read 84,943,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
When I moved from AZ to NJ, I totally understood authentic Mexican food. You aren't going to find it in NJ. When it hammered home for me was a visit to China. We were in a tour that took us only to Americanized restaurants, except one night, we went out to real chimes restaurant. Boy did I want the american Chinese!!
Hahaha, I have lived all my life in NJ, and for the life of me, I have never been able to figure out the fascination with Mexican food, and I posted that on here somewhere. I said that it all seems to be the exact same stuff--some gloppy beef or chicken, mixed with cheese and rice and some spicy stuff and then put into a taco or rolled into tortillas of varying sizes and then given different names. It's all the exact same taste, just comes in different shapes and with different names. I would go with people who would order enchiladas or chimichangas or burritos, mulling over which one to pick, and I wanted to scream, "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE??? IT ALL TASTES EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!!"

Then a lot of people responded saying that "REAL" Mexican food is different from that and better and varies more widely...so I guess that's really a problem here in NJ.

When I allow the persistent friends to drag me out for Mexican, there is one place I don't mind going because it's got this open-air area in the back that's nice in the good weather, but mostly because they have this decidedly un-Mexican thing on their menu. It is jumbo shrimp in a hot, spicy sauce that burns your mouth, and it comes with spinach and black beans and rice. I love it, but it's probably pretty far from authentic! I don't care. I like it, and it is different from the bulk of the other stuff on the menu.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:35 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,713,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hahaha, I have lived all my life in NJ, and for the life of me, I have never been able to figure out the fascination with Mexican food, and I posted that on here somewhere. I said that it all seems to be the exact same stuff--some gloppy beef or chicken, mixed with cheese and rice and some spicy stuff and then put into a taco or rolled into tortillas of varying sizes and then given different names. It's all the exact same taste, just comes in different shapes and with different names. I would go with people who would order enchiladas or chimichangas or burritos, mulling over which one to pick, and I wanted to scream, "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE??? IT ALL TASTES EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!!"

Then a lot of people responded saying that "REAL" Mexican food is different from that and better and varies more widely...so I guess that's really a problem here in NJ.

When I allow the persistent friends to drag me out for Mexican, there is one place I don't mind going because it's got this open-air area in the back that's nice in the good weather, but mostly because they have this decidedly un-Mexican thing on their menu. It is jumbo shrimp in a hot, spicy sauce that burns your mouth, and it comes with spinach and black beans and rice. I love it, but it's probably pretty far from authentic! I don't care. I like it, and it is different from the bulk of the other stuff on the menu.
Shrimp diablo? Ahhhh.....not sure how authentic their version is....but spicy shrimp dishes over rice and beans is indeed a Mexican dish....why would you think it's 'unMexican'?

Old 01-27-2015, 09:33 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,834,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Shrimp diablo? Ahhhh.....not sure how authentic their version is....but spicy shrimp dishes over rice and beans is indeed a Mexican dish....why would you think it's 'unMexican'?
It's probably the most Mexican dish there.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,713,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
It's probably the most Mexican dish there.
Lol...it may be....but how sad that someone would think it's the most 'un' Mexican. I have friend who is from Acapulco.....the dishes she would bring in on pot luck days were to die for......there are several spicy seafood dishes that were too die for. (We used to chip in to help defray the extra cost of her dishes because they were that good.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink