Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:46 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times

Advertisements

Sooner or later, nearly every conversation about popularly priced ethnic food restaurants in the United States turns into ugly allegations that the food isn't 'Authentic', either in its ingredients, it's way of cooking, or its flavor. Most hard hit are Mexican, Italian, Chinese, and Japanese styled restaurants.

My question is, does it really matter? Do you really feel that you should be able to buy an 'Authentic Mexican' taco cart style taco for 99 cents at Taco Bell, or 'Authentic Italian' home cooked style meals for Olive Garden prices, or 'Authentic Japanese' hand-rolled quality sushi for the pre-packaged CostCo sushi price?

On top of that, what makes the recipe 'authentic'? Every year, billions of tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, burritos, etc. are made by millions of Mexicans, none of which are exactly the same. They can vary wildly according to the available ingredients and the preferences of this making and eating them. Everywhere from bland to POW! spicy. The same applies to most ethnic food.

So, unless you are actually immersing yourself in a specific culture, do you care about the authenticity of the food, or do you care more about having an enjoyable meal at a good price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:52 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Enjoyable meal at a reasonable cost.

Half the time, what one person considers to be "authentic" may not be representative of the cuisine as a whole. I have seen Mexicans in Chicago nearly go to war because one is from the Yucatan and the other from Sonora and each attacking the other's food as "non authentic."

I never take sides. I tell them that I want to try both. (g)

Old 01-15-2015, 11:55 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
...My question is, does it really matter?...
Oh yes - it matters to me. That sugar-laden fried concoction you get at a mall isn't authentic Chinese. That cheese-covered platter of ground beef and beans served at every "Mexican" restaurant isn't authentic Mexican fare.

Once you taste the real goods, all that Americanized speed-food is just disappointing.

However, if you like the Americanized versions, I guess it really doesn't matter to you.

Edit: I have the luxury of being able to dine on authentic British, German, Chinese, and Latin-American dishes.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:59 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I think people miss that other countries have an awful lot of "authentic" junk food.

"Authentic" is being substituted for "quality," in a lot of conversations, and that's just simply not always the case.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:00 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,236,907 times
I agree with Dirt. I also believe there's a place for both, but at least for me, it was near impossible to find "real" Mexican food. There was one place in Corona, Ca. that was, and it was amazing! I didn't even know what half the stuff on the menu was, but I'd bet it was all fantastic. I'm in MO. now, and I can just get over ever having decent Mexican food again.

I do like Taco Bell, but I never call it Mex food.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Because when I see something I want on the menu, I want the real thing. Not a crappy Americanized version of a dish.

An example. I ordered a hunan style dish. It was literally a spicy tomato glazed meat. It was disgusting. There are no tomato glazed dished in Hunan style cooking.

If you are going to claim to be an ethnic restaurant, don't sub out for American ingredients. If you don't want to use ethnic ingredients, then call it Ethnic Inspired. Give a freaking clue to the customer!

Sorry it's a huge pet peeve of mine. I hate hate hate when something claims it's authentic and it's not. Not even in the realm of the real dish.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:04 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
A couple of authentic Mexican dishes I like - Tacos de lengua and Chapulines. Most folks won't even try them, but they are so tasty.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:09 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
For most probably it doesn't matter. If it taste good and is affordable, then all is good.
To a large extent, economic concerns determine the level of authenticity possible in a restaurant. Sometimes food regulations, time of preparation, or inadequate supply prevents creating authentic food.
But some people would like to eat authentic food at ethnic restaurants to satisfy a desire for an "exotic" experience, a culinary tourism. For those, an ethnic food modified for the general palate would not be satisfactory or authentic.

Old 01-15-2015, 12:44 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,301,876 times
Half Italian/half Lebanese here..

I have not found 'authentic' Lebanese food outside of our family. Maybe I am comparing too hard, but shish- kabob was always made with LAMB. And not ground lamb. We never used ground lamb..

And you cant even find pine nuts that are not grown in china...dont get me started..

Mike G

Old 01-15-2015, 12:51 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Because when I see something I want on the menu, I want the real thing. Not a crappy Americanized version of a dish.

An example. I ordered a hunan style dish. It was literally a spicy tomato glazed meat. It was disgusting. There are no tomato glazed dished in Hunan style cooking.
Americans expect (ethnic) food to be cheap. But in many instances you cannot have it authentic AND cheap.
For example, many traditional Chinese or Indian vegetables are not readily available in the US.
Therefore, they are much more expensive than vegetables that are common here. To be successful economically, dishes must substitute American vegetables for more traditional, but less accessible vegetables. Same with spices and herbs, or even vinegar, or oils.
Another example is fish. Steamed fish is a very popular dish in China, but in the US, there is little demand for it, and it is not easily supplied. To steam fish, it has to be super fresh, ideally alive - and not frozen from a restaurant warehouse.
Another thing to consider is that food is continually changing based on supply and demand everywhere, not just in American ethnic restaurants, and when there is a shortage of a specific item, dishes adapt to incorporate alternative products.
There also must be a balance between authentic and comfortable. Some dishes would just not sell well, no matter how authentic. How many people would order Amazonian ants, half-cooked fetal eggs, Casu marzu cheese, still alive octopus, monkey brain, bats, wriggly worms of all kinds and stages of life, hoofs, beaks, ears, and eyeballs?

But actually that does not have to be a bad thing. Modifications and adaptations often produce a new, delicious dish.
In most westernized countries people do not cook the same dishes as they did 50 years ago. Changes in food represent changes in food availability, environment and audience.

Quote:
If you are going to claim to be an ethnic restaurant, don't sub out for American ingredients. If you don't want to use ethnic ingredients, then call it Ethnic Inspired. Give a freaking clue to the customer!
I agree, but then the Real Authentic Food would be much more expensive than the Ethnic Inspired versions.
I too, have a problem with those who call modified, inspired food ethnic authentic.
When I go to Polish or German restaurant and eat their "authentic German" food, I can only shake my head, because no one is cooking that way in those countries. Same with "Polish" sausage, which really should not be called Polish, because it has nothing in common.
The problem is that most people don't know the difference, and that the food has been modified for many reasons. They truly believe they eat authentic ethnic food , and think it looks and taste the same in the countries of origin.

Last edited by elnina; 01-15-2015 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink