Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 AM

20,951 posts, read 28,477,125 times

Advertisements

Take fresh rosemary, minced garlic, kosher salt, black pepper and 1/4 cup olive oil, mix altogether and rub it all over the meat. Place the meat on a bed of fresh veggies like baby carrots, thinly sliced onions, celery ribs cut into chunks, put about 1 cup chicken stock in the bottom of the pan and 1 cup red wine. Put in a 300 degree oven cooking it low and slow using a Dutch oven 3-4 hours. The meat should fall apart. Check the liquid from time to time in the pan if it looks low add more chicken stock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 10:31 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,768,889 times
Ok, thank you all! I've gleaned ideas from every post, and what I'm going to do (this time) is put it in the crockpot. I've salted and peppered and garlic-powdered it and it is sitting in the fridge right now, "marinating". Cook's Country says to brine pork or salt roasts of any kind the night before and let them sit for up to 24 hours, but I can never seem to plan that far ahead.

Anyway, I'm going to cut up some carrots and taters and onions, put them in the bottom of the crock pot, lay the roast on top of them, put in a couple of cups of stock (I made some myself out of a chicken carcass not long ago and have it in the freezer...I was so proud of myself!), and cook it on high for 4 or 5 hours (I'd prefer low but don't have the time). AFTER browning it in a skillet, of course, and deglazing the pan with some of the stock before I put it in. I decided to do it this way because I don't want to have to slice it with that bone in it, I just want to pull it off the bone and have it fall apart.

Any holes in this method? I love pork roast, but I've never cooked one, just tenderloins (and I usually manage to overcook them! did get it right once, though. ).

Again, thank you all for your help.

Oh, and I'm going to save the bone and put it in the freezer and save it for my next broth-making project. But that's another thread!

Old 02-23-2015, 11:04 AM

580 posts, read 778,346 times
Smoke it.

Mix garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, and brown sugar together. Cover roast with the rub.

250 for at least 4-6 hours.

Or, in your oven with wet wood chips (and a fan)

Home-Smoking Meat Without a Smoker

Old 02-23-2015, 03:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,897,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
...Oh, and I'm going to save the bone and put it in the freezer and save it for my next broth-making project. But that's another thread!
I tried that after cooking one of my crockpot pork butts - it turned-out almost flavorless. I guess a six hour slow-cook renders the flavor out of that bone.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Smoke it...in your oven with wet wood chips (and a fan)
And you'll get that smoky aroma every time you use your oven for a looooong time.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:50 PM

580 posts, read 778,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
And you'll get that smoky aroma every time you use your oven for a looooong time.
Heh. S'why I have a smoker.

However, a 4 pound roast, shouldn't take too long to smoke (the meat only absorbs a certain amount, so more than 30 minutes would probably be too much and would impart an acrid taste).

Old 02-23-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
...so more than 30 minutes would probably be too much and would impart an acrid taste).
I BBQ my pork butts for 8 - 10 hours using only wood as the fuel source. The acrid taste comes from creosote created by a fire that isn't hot enough and produces yellow or white smoke. For optimum flavor the smoke should be thin, blue, and wispy.

I guess now we're getting to the more difficult ways to cook a bone-in pork roast.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:37 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,177,815 times
I guess I'm the exception, but I don't like my pork roasts to be fork-tender, falling apart. I like it juicy and very tender though, with just enough character to slice and hold together.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:37 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,966,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I BBQ my pork butts for 8 - 10 hours using only wood as the fuel source. The acrid taste comes from creosote created by a fire that isn't hot enough and produces yellow or white smoke. For optimum flavor the smoke should be thin, blue, and wispy.

I guess now we're getting to the more difficult ways to cook a bone-in pork roast.
Agreed. Most people these days feel they "know" about bbq because they read about it on the internet.

Smoking is certainly not difficult, but it is also most definitely NOT the simplest way to cook this pork roast.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:18 PM

20,951 posts, read 28,477,125 times
I wonder how the pork roast turned out???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink