Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,824,030 times

Advertisements

I think gourmet sells better than healthy as far as concept go. You should focus the marketing on the cooking, what makes your ingredients better, how your food taste better. The healthy message can be a background but if that's all you focus on, you lost half the customer base already - people who shun anything that is a 'diet' version of the real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:51 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
Nah - I prefer the food trucks offering trans fats and unhealthy food additives .

Old 03-30-2015, 04:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Nah - I prefer the food trucks offering trans fats and unhealthy food additives .

this is what i's try to do ....for the kool aid drinkers

instead of a truck, have a horse pulled wagon,,,dress up like the amish, have hand written signs,,,organics all over the place,,,
and have a short organic menu ,,,something people could feel good about - and signs on the horses- "sustainable" free range, no carbon footprint..

the "amish" women could sell baked goods and veggies/fruit salads..

not sure if horses are allowed in the cities,,,but it would work

Old 03-30-2015, 07:11 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
You could easily make it work here in Denver.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-30-2015 at 07:19 AM..

Old 03-30-2015, 07:18 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Food trucks are big in the city where I live and many do focus on healthy or healthier food options. The options that do well tend to be very creative. This is one. Denver Food Trucks | Venezuelan Cuisine | Quiero Arepas

Old 03-30-2015, 07:26 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,368,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
You could easily make it work here in Denver.
Yep, I was just thinking that. This town LOVES food trucks, and it also loves tasty/healthy food.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:32 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,362,537 times
Oh, yeah. Denverites adore healthy, not-so-healthy, and heart-attack-on-a-plate food truck fare. I remember attending a swim meet at Manual High School where a food truck pulled up outside the door, and he had people coming up from the neighborhood asking if he could be there all the time. (He is a regular vendor on the 16th Street Mall.) They were crestfallen when he said it was just a one-time thing. We love us some food trucks!

Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
...Both failed, and his concept was healthy fast food. This was in Seattle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I am always willing to try anything---but I have found that I do not like most "healthy alternatives."

That being said, there is definitely a niche market out there. Where I live, I could see it doing reasonably well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I go to a food truck for anything but my health. I want a bacon double cheeseburger and greasy fries and from the lines others do too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
There is a reason why McDonalds does so well. You can't find a less healthy menu, but people love it!

Agree with some of the posters, however, that there is a niche out there, and with HARD work you might be able to make a go of it. Probably not going to fit into the "roach coach" market, but in an upscale, touristy location it might work.

Do LOTS of homework, and be VERY well financed...like at least a year or more of cash in hand to finance the losses and keep yourself alive. Then assess how it is going.

There is a reason why the niche has gone unfilled..... but a clever, smart, entrepreneurial, well financed operation might have a chance.

Maybe.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:00 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
OK. Laugh all you want, guys. However, the one that I saw was in North Eastern PA - not the San Francisco Bay area. Real meat and potatoes place.

And this particular food truck did WELL. Very well. It was at every park event, art show, craft fair, Farmers Market, and there for lunch in the park. Every day from May through November.

They cleaned up.

You would be catering to a number of demographic groups. - weight conscious, health conscious, vegetarian and vegan. Ideally I would use non GMO products.

I'd have a G-free product every day, if possible.

In the right place this could fly.

The key is the demographic - mix of college educated and white collar workers, women, and students. Also, keeping the price low. That the food has to be tasty - but that goes without saying.

The problem with food like this, is that it tends to be pricy. Involve sitting down, leaving a tip and being indoors. As far as the lunch hour crowd goes, that can get expensive.
College students are notoriously broke and health conscious, they lean vegetarian or vegan - especially when it's AVAILABLE and AFFORDABLE.

Why do you think all the major fast food chains are offering healthy options? They aren't stupid.

They are following trends - which is how one makes money!

The OP is really on to something. Why do some people take such delight on raining on other's parades?

I happen to have gone to college with someone who had a similar idea - healthy food, mostly sandwiches, near a medium sized college, that was available late at night . He rented an old building near campus and somehow got the university to help out. He must have been 20 at the time.

While his name is not a household word, I think you will know his company - Panera Bread.

He was two years ahead of me at Clark University in Worcester MA.

One of the most ambitious and entrepreneurial people I have ever met.

Funny thing is the motto of my university was Fiat Lux - "Let there be Light" and the OPs name is "Daylux" - Daylight. (Lux is "light" in Latin") I think you should name your truck that! "Daylux"! How cool!

Perhaps this is a sign...

Old 03-30-2015, 01:54 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,307 times
Food trucks aren't popular where I live; ice cream trucks are rarely found. I would need to go into town to find one and if I look for one it's usually a hot dog cart. If I want something along the lines of what the OP is suggesting I would seek a sit down eatery. There are plenty of those in town.

My answer would have to be NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink