Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: To chill, or not to chill, that is the question.
I keep my tomatoes at room temperature. 58 74.36%
I keep my tomatoes in the refrigerator. 20 25.64%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:36 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
I keep them at room temperature but put them in the fridge for a couple hours if I will be slicing for a salad or side dish. They slice better cold.
Sounds like you need a better knife. If you can't cut through the skin easily you are already defeated. Go to a sporting goods sore and get a Fiskars filet knife if you can't sharpen yours or fail to find a good one elsewhere.

Eggs don't need to be refrigerated either. How were they kept before refrigeration existed? They only go bad if kept for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 01:56 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,422,050 times
I keep mine at room temperature unless I have some leftovers - then it goes in the fridge.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:57 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I usually do what the stores do. What they refrigerate - I refrigerate. If they don't - I don't.
You should NOT refrigerate tomatoes and here is why:

Why You Should Never Refrigerate Tomatoes

Tomatoes will lose all their flavor in the fridge. The cold air in the fridge stops the ripening process, and ripening is what gives tomatoes more flavor. The fridge will also alter the texture of the tomato - cold temperature breaks down the membranes inside the fruit walls, turning it mealy. Keep tomatoes out in a bowl or basket on the counter.
If they're already ripened such as vine ripened tomatoes or freshly picked from a garden, they're already ripe!

I refrigerate all produce. I don't want fruit flies all over everything. Restaurants refrigerate all produce, so why is it good enough for them but not at home? Been refrigerating them my whole life and haven't had anyone say they're tasteless.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I store mine on the vine until I'm ready to use them. Store bought tomatoes are a waste of money and a travesty to your taste buds.
That's great if you have a garden. I've had gardens in several areas over a period of many years. I no longer have that luxury. I buy tomatoes from farmers markets and farm stands in season. The rest of the year, I'm stuck with the nasty stuff from the grocery if I really want a tomato. I don't buy many in the off season.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's great if you have a garden. I've had gardens in several areas over a period of many years. I no longer have that luxury. I buy tomatoes from farmers markets and farm stands in season. The rest of the year, I'm stuck with the nasty stuff from the grocery if I really want a tomato. I don't buy many in the off season.
I buy mine on the vine at the grocery stores. I have seen them at Harris Teeter/Publix. I also only buy the heirlooms if I can't get to a farmer's market. It's usually in a small basket above the regular tomatoes. If none of those are an option, I try another recipe. I too won't touch the regular tomatoes at the stores.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:17 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I buy mine on the vine at the grocery stores. I have seen them at Harris Teeter/Publix. I also only buy the heirlooms if I can't get to a farmer's market. It's usually in a small basket above the regular tomatoes. If none of those are an option, I try another recipe. I too won't touch the regular tomatoes at the stores.
On the vine and the grape tomatoes seem to be the best choices during the winter. Even the ones at the farm stands don't taste like home grown. People complain about having too many tomatoes. Many of mine never made it into the house... along with the zucchini, green beans, and quite a few other things.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I like them right out of the garden and rarely by them at the store, since they have no taste. We may get some of the grape ones in the winter, but that's about it. I do like them cold in salad, so I will refrigerate just for 1/2 hour before serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink