Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 12:49 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering, since there are so many here who act that way..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 01:31 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Rather rewarding, actually.

I often try to impress friends and co-workers with my culinary cognizance. I love walking into a party and exclaiming "What?!?! You aren't serving Tacos de Chapulines?"

I always find it shocking when someone doesn't know the difference between Tortilla Española and Tortilla Mexicana.

Okay, I bit the hook - start reeling .

Old 05-21-2015, 04:33 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I do my best to balance against the pretention

and I try not to brag, I seem to be one of the few on here that can source (hunt, kill, skin, field dress, and cut up wild game ) on here,,, and as a butcher, I do try to educate when I can

their's a lot of propaganda in the wind - from what is "grass fed" to what is "all-natural" to what is "organic" and gmo....
not everything you hear is gospel, because it sounds good....

this is a food forum, so their will be many different points f view- we all have likes and dislikes,,,,but when someone comes along and starts with a food agenda propaganda ,,,that's when I have to restrain,, because many on here seem to go a long with misinformation..
and admittedly,,,i may go overboard at times,,,but only because food is my life, my livelihood, and misinformation forms opinions to the masses...and I have to answer the "food fearmongering" questions everyday
for ex. 3 questions last week "is your chicken coming from china" even tho it says on the label,,,product of usa
when headlines are everywhere "your chicken will soon come from china" its sensationalism,,,,not true at all,,,like the pink slime b.s. I still get questions on this,,,so yeah im oversly sensitive to propaganda and agendas

Old 05-21-2015, 06:34 AM

162 posts, read 213,163 times
I don't think I am pretentious in regards to food. I'll I love Brie and tiramisu, but also American cheese and Oreos.

I did go to a party with a group of food snobs once. Everyone brought a dish, one more sophisticated than the next. Then a family came with a crock pot full of sausage dip and tortilla chips. You know the one with the sausage and cream cheese? Every one at the party surrounded that bowl and devoured that dip. The prosciutto wrapped whatever was still left. I always got a kick out of that.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:36 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I wouldn't know ... I like what I like, and make no apologies for it.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:01 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Plus you gotta remember it's online. Most of the people that are one way online hiding behind a screen will say what they want and what they think. In real life they don't. I am one of them. I am a snob when it comes to certain foods and won't hesitate to say it here online. BUT I would never tell it to people's faces. Snob such as if it calls for limes, don't use lemons! Geesh! lol (unless they are family/close friends then yes I will rib them for it)

Old 05-21-2015, 11:21 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I'm just wondering, since there are so many here who act that way..
If you want to see pretentious check the "Tip" threads or "Alcoholic beverage" forum. I see most in the food forum as pretty down to earth and many with some serious skills and knowledge of various cuisines.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:11 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
I actually think this is probably the most reasonable place for food discussion I've ever seen on the entire internet.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:52 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
I don't even know what that means. I don't like dunkin donuts coffee 'cos its bleurgh. I like my coffee to taste like coffee, and have actual coffee in it. Does that make me pretentious?

To quote another poster here I love prosciutto - my kids love - it its so tasty. How can you not like it? I also like a bologna sandwich on white bread with a sliced onion and mustard.

Foodies are people into food, doesn't make them per se pretentious. Do you think a hunter is pretentious because he knows the difference between a mallard and a goose whereas to "down-to-earth" Joe Schmo they're all just "birds"

I'm with Ohiogirl on this

Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
So let's just clarify the definition of pretentiousness.. having or showing the unpleasant quality of people who want to be regarded as more impressive, successful, or important than they really are.
Just because you can recognize quality over mediocrity, does not make you pretentious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink