Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 06:16 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I was wondering who in their right mind would eat crab in the midwest. For crustaceans, you should stick with crawdads, which are local and fresh. You might have to catch your own, but crawdad traps are cheap, or you can make your own out of coffee cans.

There are some things that do OK when canned or frozen. Crab is not one of them.
I'm in the south, not the Midwest, but when I did live in the Midwest, I would not have known where to get crayfish.
Either crab or crayfish, I'm not catching my own anyway, and I serious doubt if too many other people do that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 08:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm in the south, not the Midwest, but when I did live in the Midwest, I would not have known where to get crayfish.
Either crab or crayfish, I'm not catching my own anyway, and I serious doubt if too many other people do that either.

There are certain varieties that can be found in certain lakes in Wisconsin and Minnesota. However, I have never seen any that have been commercially harvested and served on any major scale.

Most of my friends have them shipped in from Southern Louisiana.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Crab is really expensive, so if I am going to pay for crab, I want to taste crab. Crab cakes tend to be so strongly spiced that you could make them with chicken and they would taste exactly the same and cost about 90% less to make.

I like crab steamed and dipped in melted butter, no other seasonings.

Although I do make a killer crab and cream cheese enchilada. That has to have large lumps of crab to be sure you know you are eating and tasting crab meat.
I agree. I love strong spices, but in my opinion crab cakes have to be the #1 most disgustingly over spiced dish known to mankind.

I have tasted many that were so heavily spiced, they literally tasted like spice cakes seasoned with a few bread crumbs in the mix.

I am fortunate to have a local seafood place that charges 15.00 for massive 1 1/2 lb leg clusters.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:00 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
I don't even order crab cakes anymore, even at the best restaurants here in the Midwest. They are usually nothing but filler and cost $20+.

I wait until I get back out to Baltimore to visit Gertrude's, Faidley, or Mama's On the Half Shell.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:09 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
...crayfish, I'm not catching my own anyway, and I serious doubt if too many other people do that either.
Well, you know I would be one to catch my own "mudbugs." Alabama has more species of crayfish (83) than any other state.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:45 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I ate them a bit in WV but not a huge fan of them. Too little for a meal.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:56 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
...Too little for a meal.
Well, so is a single shrimp. You just gotta eat a few more.

BTW - shrimp cakes and crawfish pie are also good.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I was wondering who in their right mind would eat crab in the midwest. For crustaceans, you should stick with crawdads, which are local and fresh. You might have to catch your own, but crawdad traps are cheap, or you can make your own out of coffee cans.

There are some things that do OK when canned or frozen. Crab is not one of them.
and even in the midwest or in our case the northern post part of the south, who would want to bother with craw fish. They actually had a huge package of them on sale at our favorite local grocery store this week and I didn't even consider buying them. They are way to much bother for the end result. So, if you live where some of us do, you have to be happy with frozen fish or all kinds except for our new fresh fish market. If you try them, we have to be prepared to spend our retirement check just for a lb or two of any fish.

Old 01-22-2016, 01:48 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I am making crab cakes tonight but I am using bumble bee canned. Never Had it before. I refuse to pay $25 for lump crab meat. That's what my local fish store is selling it for. I had Dungeoness crab in San Francisco and I did not like it. I like the Blue claw Maryland crabs.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
First, a bit of history. When I was a kid, on special occasions we gathered at a relative's house and one of the items that was always on the buffet was crab salad on snowflake rolls. Even my young, unsophisticated, palate LOVED the crab salad. This was in New England.
Fast forward to now, when I have lived in the Midwest and the South, and no matter where I live, I cannot get what the fuss is about with crab. I have never, since I was a child with the crab salad, ever had any type of crab that was at all good.
I make crab cakes once in awhile, using various recipes, but I can't taste the crab at all, so I am never making it again.
What do you think I am missing?
PS: I love lobster and clams and most other crustaceans.

A good crab cocktail, just crabmeat and cocktail sauce?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink