Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 04:36 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times

Advertisements

OK, so what's the secret to making perfect caramelized onions to put on a burger, steak, etc?
Thanks

Last edited by elnina; 07-16-2015 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 04:46 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Me? I slice up onions, warm up some butter in a pan, and then just saute them.

You can add mushrooms to that, too. It's freakin' ridiculously delicious (and I don't even like mushrooms).

Old 06-16-2015, 04:47 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,297,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
OK, so what's the secret to making perfect carmalized onions to put on a burger, steak, etc?
Thanks
Patience.

How to Caramelize Onions, Caramelized Onions Recipe | SimplyRecipes.com

Old 06-16-2015, 05:01 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
It takes time to make caramelized onions...about an hour. They need to be cooked low and slow. I use half butter and half oil in a nice big skillet- enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Then toss the onion slices (1 large onion per person) with a bit of salt at medium heat, they should not brown. Once the onions have gotten tender and translucent and all the moisture has cooked off, they will start to get more golden, as more of the natural sugars are released. Keep stirring them around until the color is uniform.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:33 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,523,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It takes time to make caramelized onions...about an hour. They need to be cooked low and slow. I use half butter and half oil in a nice big skillet- enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Then toss the onion slices (1 large onion per person) with a bit of salt at medium heat, they should not brown. Once the onions have gotten tender and translucent and all the moisture has cooked off, they will start to get more golden, as more of the natural sugars are released. Keep stirring them around until the color is uniform.
EXACTLY

I always like to add a couple of tablespoons of Beef Au-Jus just a bit before
removing from the heat

Old 06-16-2015, 12:39 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,163,725 times
Quote:
Yes! I do the exact same thing. Delicious!

Old 06-16-2015, 01:24 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,248,700 times
Quote:

And, yes, they reduce down a ridiculous amount. You need to start out with more than you think.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:11 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
You can also caramelize onions in a crockpot. Chop up about 4-5 lbs of onions and toss them in there with a stick of butter. I usually cook mine for about 18 hours, but you can cook them for a bit less if you like them more golden vs. darker.

It's a great method when you are making something that calls for large quantities such as french onion soup or a caramelized onion tart.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:20 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You can also caramelize onions in a crockpot. Chop up about 4-5 lbs of onions and toss them in there with a stick of butter. I usually cook mine for about 18 hours, but you can cook them for a bit less if you like them more golden vs. darker.

It's a great method when you are making something that calls for large quantities such as french onion soup or a caramelized onion tart.
^^^this is what I was going to recommend--put them in & forget 'em. You'll be able to make a nice supply of caramelized onions this way.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:26 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
I like to cook them until they're almost ready to char....they get sticky-sweet...I love that!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink