Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 12:31 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I ate a lot of crap as a kid, basically 'cuz my mother couldn't cook. She had 3 older sisters, so never learned. And my dad didn't care...
Spam. Hamburger Helper. White bread. Cold cereal. Hostess anything. TV Dinners. Well...you get the picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I grew up on the outskirts of Pennsylvania Dutch country and Liverworst is one of those tastes of home that I still really like (scrapple is a different story ).
Love scrapple.... PennDutch roots on both sides of the parents....

Here's a weird one.

Bacon. I'm having a hard time with bacon. In the past year, it just tastes like salt. I'm hoping this is just a menopause thing and it will go away. I adore the crispy fat part of the bacon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 01:07 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Much of the stuff mentioned here, I have given up.

Healthy chicken now, healthier cuts of beef, limited, salads, no "junk food", very little fast food, and limited deli meats, though a good braunschueger or liverwurst once in a while seems{once every 3 months?} ok, along with liver/bacon/onions about 3 times a year.

Other than that, once in a while {like maybe once a month} a cake or brownies.{gotta be bad once in a while}.

No more Ramen noodles, as I saw the recording of digestion of them,,the noodles DON'T BREAK DOWN like regular or fresh pasta! No wonder their shelf life is forever! They will be the only surviving "food" after a full on nuclear holocaust.

I hear General Mills is "going healthier" with their foods. taking gluten out, etc. wonder what it will be like to eat a cereal that doesn't have "bran" or 'museli" or "aot bran" in the name???

ah well, I think i am far less healthy now than I was growing up! I think the good old days of frying with lard may not have been so bad after all? Or growing veggies in your own garden, not this processed modified high-yield limpy stuff they call vegetables.
ah, those were the days...

Old 07-16-2015, 02:11 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,889,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Yodels are classic American junk food.

Drake's Cakes Yodels®
Oh!! You mean Ho-Ho's!! Also sold as Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls! My dad used to devour those!

Old 07-17-2015, 05:23 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times
Not really since kids are more picky than adults and there was probably a hundred things I thought were gross then that I like now. It's not a food but I don't much care for mint schnapps or minty alcohol since I drank 2 bottles of it and got sick a few years back.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:08 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Oh, and my mother used to make us a dessert that was canned pears topped with cream cheese that had Maraschino cherry juice mixed in, with a cherry on top. I tried it once as an adult and I hated it! It was so sickeningly sweet! Totally dashed my fond childhood memory of it!

^^^Oh, my gosh, your mother & I must have been in the same "Home Economics" class together! This was the first "recipe" we were taught, only it was a "salad", served on a bed of iceburg lettuce!

To the original question, I remember as a kid thinking that ravioli-in-a-can was a fine delicacy, actually ANY pasta-in-a-can!

Old 07-17-2015, 10:06 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
My palate has become a LOT more picky.......I now know much better what I like and dislike.

Things I no longer like for one reason or another: mayo, ice cream, donuts with Frankenfilling, sweetened meats, breaded meats, Chinese food that has gobs of sugar pumped in to it, soda, tofu, boxed pastries that are overly-sweet to cover-up the cheap ingredients, sandwiches that have too much bread and not enough meat.........on and on!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:03 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
^^^Oh, my gosh, your mother & I must have been in the same "Home Economics" class together! This was the first "recipe" we were taught, only it was a "salad", served on a bed of iceburg lettuce!

To the original question, I remember as a kid thinking that ravioli-in-a-can was a fine delicacy, actually ANY pasta-in-a-can!
Too funny about the home ec class! And now that you mention it, I too, used to LOVE canned ravioli and now I can't stand it! When I was a child, it was one of my favorite things!

Old 07-18-2015, 08:18 AM

52 posts, read 45,115 times
Chicken feet!!!!!

Old 07-18-2015, 02:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I used to have a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich for lunch almost daily at school. (The mystery meat was too frightening, as I'm sure many here can understand from years of eating veinburgers and breaded shoe leather from the school lunch ladies.) It was always grape jelly on Wonder White bread. I can't face a sandwich like that anymore at all.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:35 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,329,109 times
Ever since I threw up after eating chili when I was 9, I have not eaten it again. I used to love chili and weenies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink