Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 06:45 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times

Advertisements

I got a silicon spatula with a wood handle as part of a few bridal showers gifts recently. It has done wonders for scraping the sides of my bowls, including my KitchenAid, which is another favorite kitchen tool of mine.

Oh and my spice grinder. I never had one before and it saved me recently when I needed to grind up some coriander.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 07:01 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I love the cloud a fluffy, melt-in-my-mouth cloud of cheesy goodness that results from grating Parmesan on a microplane.
Do you have a specific microplane? I am looking at getting one of the professional ones with the SS handle.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:27 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Do you have a specific microplane? I am looking at getting one of the professional ones with the SS handle.
Go with this one. It's not a SS handle, but that's okay. Microplane brand microplanes (yes, it's repetitive, but that's the name of the company) are widely regarded as excellent products. 85% of 2000+ reviews give it 5 stars (95% give it 4 stars or higher) ... that says a lot IMO.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:13 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
thank you apexgds! I tried to rep you again but I can't right now.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:59 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
I'm liking the posts with the links attached. Sometimes what one person calls a tool isn't the same as what another one will name it. To me, we always called a "French oven" a "Dutch oven" and a "V slicer" was called a mandaline.

One of the oddball tools in my kitchen is a Bondo spreader. That's way better for getting bread out of the Kitchen Aid bowl than a spatula. However, even though it's plastic, it's not specifically listed as "food safe" so we're living dangerously over here by using it, I'm sure. There's probably something similar at a kitchen store which would be listed as a "bowl scraper" no doubt, but we don't have any kitchen stores around here. Maybe next time I go to Hilo or Kailua-Kona there will be one but until then, the Bondo spreader works great.

Lately the blender has been getting a workout making smoothies, but our usual "go to" tools are the rice cooker, the array of old Griswald & Wagner cast iron pans and the copper bottomed Revere ware pots. Although we've been doing a lot of microwave cooking lately, too, so the cast iron and stainless steel don't work quite as much as they used to.

There is an old stainless steel spring steel spatula that I've had for decades which is much better than anything I've seen since. Nice wide and long cooking spatula made of very thin and springy steel. I haven't a clue how I'd replace if if something happened to it.

There's a half dozen different chefs knives as well as a good sharpening stone. One knife is carbon steel, one is ceramic, the rest are high carbon stainless but they are all non-serrated. Well, except for the bread knife, that thing has huge serrations.

Another (IMHO) "must have" kitchen tool is a Kitchen Aid mixer with as many attachments as you can get for it. The usual three (whip, flat paddle & bread hook) along with noodle maker and meat grinder along with the sausage stuffer. That gets used frequently. Oh, there's also a huge difference between the vintage Kitchen Aid mixers and the new ones. If you can find an old one in good condition, I'd opt for that one over a new one. Machined instead of pressed metal parts, more solidly built, etc.

Oh, and the "Hollywood Salad Maker". The thing works great and I have no idea how come my fingers never get shredded along with the vegetables, but they don't. It's a great thing for chopping veggies and easy to clean, too.

There's also the "ricer", although it might be a "cone sieve" or some such thing. We always just called it a ricer. It's perfect for making fruit into sauce. Apples, guavas or whatever you want sauced, cook it til it's mushy, put it in the ricer, mash it around with the wooden pestle and pretty soon the only thing left is the skins and seeds in the ricer and sauce in the bowl.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 07-21-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 01:34 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
To me, we always called a "French oven" a "Dutch oven" and a "V slicer" was called a mandaline.
I learned recently that there's actually a difference between a french oven and a dutch oven. The dutch oven is cast iron while the french oven is the enameled cast iron (usually the bright colored pots).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
One of the oddball tools in my kitchen is a Bondo spreader. That's way better for getting bread out of the Kitchen Aid bowl than a spatula. However, even though it's plastic, it's not specifically listed as "food safe" so we're living dangerously over here by using it, I'm sure. There's probably something similar at a kitchen store which would be listed as a "bowl scraper" no doubt, but we don't have any kitchen stores around here. Maybe next time I go to Hilo or Kailua-Kona there will be one but until then, the Bondo spreader works great.
Do you have a Wal-Mart? It's called a bench scraper, and they'll have them in the kitchen gadgetry section ... both metal and nylon/plastic versions.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:51 PM

276 posts, read 338,230 times
#1. Corkscrew
#2. Wine Glass

I love cooking with wine, sometimes I even put it in the food.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:46 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
My OXO julienne peeler. I just shredded up a few pounds of zucchini tonight for dinner as a substitute for noodles. I sauteed some chicken, then the zuke "noodles" with some garlic and sherry. Then I poured in a locally made vodka tomato sauce and threw in some fresh mozzarella and parm. And yes, it came out awesome.

My roommate has a spiralizer, but it's a pain in the butt to assemble and clean. The julienne peeler is quicker and easier to deal with. I can't wait for my zucchini plants to throw another crop!
I just bought one of these, but haven't used it yet. I want to julienne cucumber and carrots to toss with olive oil, lemon juice, s & p.

I guess my favorite are my Le Crueset French ovens. Every time pull one out of the cupboard I know we are going to have a delicious meal.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:54 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
A wooden spoon hands down. I like the sound it makes against pots and pans, and it doesn't melt or anything, so there's no risk of messing it up easily.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:38 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,606,810 times
Wooden spoons. I don't understand a kitchen without them.

My microwave. For heating up dinner other people have cooked (Sprouts, King Soopers, Trader Joe's.)

Kitchenaid bowl-scraper beater. So handy.
Attached Thumbnails
Do You Have A Favorite Cooking Tool...-image.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink