Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 12:55 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.cool View Post
I always have limes in the fridge, rarely lemons. I prefer the taste, and more of my recipes call for limes, and the ones that call for lemon, I usually use a lime.
I put lime juice in my hollandaise sauce, bloody marys, mojitos, vodka tonics, coronas...
wait...were we talking about food?
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The small Mexican limes are actually Key limes which explains the key lime pie being better although the Mexican is actually classified as a separate species (see article). IMO the thicker skin and darker color comes from picking them too early and not from them actually being a different race as the article suggests. What is common in supermarket limes is that they are picked too green so that they can make it to market and very often will be "dry" with little to no juice which is a ripoff. There is no such thing as American limes, they are likely Persian limes. It all depends who sources the market. At odd times of the year citrus will be "out of season" here in the states so it is brought in from Mexico, central and south America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_lime

I actually like the Meyer lemon the best for taste. It seems to be a hybrid of lemon and an orange.
I know, I get them all the time where there is not one drop of juice in it. Makes me so mad.

~~~

Anyway, I love them both and use them all the time. If I make margaritas, I'll use fresh-squeezed lemon, lime, and orange juice. Soooo good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 12:56 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Paul Newman's sells both lemonade and limeade so you can have a side -by-side comparison.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
I actually like the Meyer lemon the best for taste. It seems to be a hybrid of lemon and an orange.
Oh, I think they're terrible, personally. The first time I had one, I was so disappointed at how bland and lacking tartness it was.

I love lemons for their tartness. If I wanted something sweet, I'd eat an orange.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:32 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
lol

I know, I get them all the time where there is not one drop of juice in it. Makes me so mad.

~~~

Anyway, I love them both and use them all the time. If I make margaritas, I'll use fresh-squeezed lemon, lime, and orange juice. Soooo good.
Float them in an inch of water in a dish on the counter for a couple of days to increase their moisture content. Turn them every once in awhile. It works for lemons. Might work for limes, too.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:41 PM

19,386 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Float them in an inch of water in a dish on the counter for a couple of days to increase their moisture content. Turn them every once in awhile. It works for lemons. Might work for limes, too.
?! I've never heard of that one. I've heard of the microwave trick, and rolling them on the counter to loosen up the juice, but you can't get blood from a turnip (so to speak).

Thanks, random.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
The small Mexican limes are actually Key limes which explains the key lime pie being better although the Mexican is actually classified as a separate species (see article). IMO the thicker skin and darker color comes from picking them too early and not from them actually being a different race as the article suggests. What is common in supermarket limes is that they are picked too green so that they can make it to market and very often will be "dry" with little to no juice which is a ripoff. There is no such thing as American limes, they are likely Persian limes. It all depends who sources the market. At odd times of the year citrus will be "out of season" here in the states so it is brought in from Mexico, central and south America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_lime

The ones I am talking about were not key lime. The store had those as well. These were regular, but small limes. There is a difference between the two. Much of the citrus fruit we get is from Mexico or central America.

Yes, Meyers are the best, but the most expenisve as well.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Thanks for the idea; even an old gal, that was a nutrition major in college and has been cooking for 70 years just learned something.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM

585 posts, read 492,413 times
I only out limes in my Corona Lites!

Old 07-30-2015, 01:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,356,098 times
I found the idea in a cookbook many years ago, and it's how I've stored lemons ever since. I knew that citrus should be stored at room temperature, but here in the arid west, it just led to dried out lemons. The water keeps them juicy. Be sure to change the water every day. You don't need to submerge the fruit; just an inch or so in a shallow dish is plenty. I don't know if this technique will work with limes, but it's worth a shot.

Edit: a little Googling revealed an America's Test Kitchen experiment that found the best way to store lemons is in the fridge in a tightly sealed bag, like a Ziploc. They experimented with and without a little water, but I found no comment about one being better than the other. For hard limes, though, a sealed plastic bag or jar with a little water might do the trick. If anybody gives this a try, I'd love to know your results.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-30-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 02:04 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
that is fascinating!! I go through a LOT of lemons with my iced tea.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink