Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2015, 05:48 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times

Advertisements

The point of the thread was STEALING items by lying about the counts - not a debate on what should or should not be "allowed" depending on form(s) of payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 06:17 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
There is something wrong with that and it should be changed, but I honestly don't know how it could be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why?
Simply because it is just wrong. Good enough reason.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM

607 posts, read 602,070 times
If I saw that happen, I don't think I would say anything. If I saw someone stealing from an individual person or friend at a bar, or other public place--something along those lines--then I would say something. But to me, a random dude stealing 5 items from a grocery store that makes millions of dollars a year, I just don't care that much to get involved, to deal with the hassle/possibly hostile situation. Not worth it.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Ive actually seen this plenty of times. I bought 5 pillows the other day at walmart and for obvious reasons only handed one to the cashier and said there were 4 more in the cart. She didnt even glance over to count and just scanned the tag 5 times. Ive worked in the grocery business and the bulk of employees are treated so poorly that they could care less if you scanned 4 verses 5 cans of tuna. All theyre thinking about is the fact that their time off request was denied and that they have to work Thanksgiving.
Having worked in retail/customer service for years and years, I agree, and I think it's more than understandable.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
How about this, maybe the guy really needed the $5-$7 help to meet his grocery needs for his family?

Stop being so nosey.
I agree. While it's not right, on the crime scale it's pretty miniscule, and that was my other thought - what if he really needed it? Not that people who need extra money should get a free pass to steal--of course not. I don't believe that. If it was something more major, then I would speak up, but in this case, I would just let it go.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:16 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
I'm usually reading a magazine in the checkout line, and don't notice much. I don't think its strange that the OP noticed because most people put all their items on the belt unless it's something very large or heavy. If I did notice, I know I wouldn't say anything. I generally prefer to mind my own business, especially in a case like this where it's the cashiers responsibility to make sure the count is correct

Old 08-18-2015, 07:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffaNYC View Post
If I saw that happen, I don't think I would say anything. If I saw someone stealing from an individual person or friend at a bar, or other public place--something along those lines--then I would say something. But to me, a random dude stealing 5 items from a grocery store that makes millions of dollars a year, I just don't care that much to get involved, to deal with the hassle/possibly hostile situation. Not worth it.
what if the guy behind you lit up a cigarette while waiting in line???

then you would see the moral and lawful citizens come out of the woodwork ....

Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
Or else the cashier gets paid so little money that he or she doesn't give a crap. The store owner is probably saving far more money by underpaying his employees than he's losing on potato chips. Honest to God, do you people get equally worked up over the thieves on Wall Street who are spending your retirement money on a third yacht? Personally, on the list of crimes against humanity, "A poor person stealing food" ranks pretty close to the bottom of things that I'd get worked up about.
Exactly. And this doesn't mean I approve of shoplifting or cheating whatsoever - I think that's quite a leap to say that the people who wouldn't say something in this situation "approve" of the dishonest behavior. scratchie nailed it. In the grand scheme of things, compared to everything else, all the dishonest people in power and so on, it just doesn't hit high on the scale of things to be upset/make a huge fuss about. And I'm not even 100% liberal, ha - I do have a conservative side! heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There is really not much to do standing in line, it does not seem strange at all for someone to observe what another person has in their basket, and how they pay, etc. Some people, like myself many times, are observant of even the most trivial thing going on around them, while some people are not even paying attention while they drive, let alone to someone while standing in line at the store.
Yeah, it's really not that strange that the OP noticed. I know we are used to everyone with their heads down, buried in the world of their smartphones, but there are some of us who still pay attention to our surroundings and don't spend every free second with our faces glued to screens.

(P.S. Sorry, don't mean to spam this post!)

Old 08-18-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
what if the guy behind you lit up a cigarette while waiting in line???

then you would see the moral and lawful citizens come out of the woodwork ....
That's because second-hand smoke kills - it puts people's health in jeopardy, people are allergic, etc. A poor man stealing a few food items isn't killing anyone.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:28 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,068,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I was in line at the grocery store and the man in front of me had about 5 different types of items in his basket. He took one of each and put it on the conveyor belt, and then left the rest in the cart. So for example, he had one bag of chips on the belt, and then several more of the exact same type in the cart.

When he got to the cashier, he told her that there was X number in the cart for each item. So she would take each item and scan it X times. As he said this, I looked down into his cart, and I noticed that he gave her a lower number than was actually in the cart. It was just one lower than the actual amount. So he ended up getting about 5 items for free.

I also happened to glance over as he scanned his card and saw that it was an EBT card (food stamps). (Just an observation, not a judgment).

He only ended up getting maybe $5-$7 dollars worth of free merchandise.

I felt somewhat awkward as I had just witnessed someone shoplift.

Have you ever seen something like this? What did you do?
As Frank Burns would say "mind your business nosey nate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink