Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 10:55 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,452,876 times

Advertisements

I came across this article some time ago and just looked it up again. The first picture is a platter of cooked vegetables, and it just looks delicious to me! But the article gives no clue on the preparation, nor does the link to the restaurant.

I see mushrooms, zucchini, some greens, maybe brussels sprouts, and I think the largest veg is a cabbage. Some look boiled? But I'm sure more has been done to them, including seasoning.

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Click image for larger version

Name:	veg.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	158256

Best Lunch Ever: Lo Scoglio, Amalfi Coast | FATHOM Travel Blog and Travel Guides
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 AM

423 posts, read 337,717 times
It looks like an antipasto platter, which is usually marinated and pickled vegetables. Not just one dish, per se, but several different items, but together in one platter. Food network can help with recipes and stuff. Good luck!

Old 09-23-2015, 08:14 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,911,098 times
I throw a bunch of vegetables on the grill, wrapped in foil. Golly they are good.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:22 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,565,452 times
I agree with jim above.

I'd use Mrs. Dash of some variety and either grill or steam them.

I've also made the same thing with fish or chicken thrown in the middle.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:00 AM

811 posts, read 1,151,612 times
They are roasted. I haven't yet had the pleasure of Lo Scoglio, myself, but I can speak second-hand, at least. They are roasted, seasonal veggies from the restaurant's farm. Seasoning is basically salt, pepper, and olive oil, allowing the fresh veggies to shine.

To some degree the items on the platter are going to have different cooking times (though it does kind of look like the pieces have been sized accordingly to prevent that), but the easiest way to work with that would be to use a large, rimmed baking sheet that accommodates everything, start with the items that take the longest (roasting at 400 or 425° for good caramelization), and add the other pieces of the puzzle to the baking sheet in increments, so that the fastest cooking items are in the oven the least amount of time, but everything is finished at the same time. People love to enjoy these alongside a salumi platter. Sounds perfect to me!

Old 09-23-2015, 09:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,779,820 times
Roasted veggies. Lots of different ways to do them.

My preferred way is to roast them on a wood grill after the meat course has come off.

To prepare I use a very large commercial stainless mixing bowl. First coat your veggies with the best extra virgin olive oil you can afford. Then season to taste. My standard are fresh crushed garlic, a little granulated onion, course sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

When I throw the meat on the grill is when I'll coat the veggies in oil, make sure to toss and mix evenly. Then right before when I have about 15 minutes left to go on the meat I'll season the veggies. Take the meat off to rest, toss on veggies and roast to desired doness. My family likes them all a little crunchy with a good char. You have a special grate for the smaller veggies and fish. Take them off, slice your meat and serve together.

FYI they taste almost as good on a gas grill, which is quicker and easier to facilitate for everyday cooking.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
They are roasted. I haven't yet had the pleasure of Lo Scoglio, myself, but I can speak second-hand, at least. They are roasted, seasonal veggies from the restaurant's farm. Seasoning is basically salt, pepper, and olive oil, allowing the fresh veggies to shine.

To some degree the items on the platter are going to have different cooking times (though it does kind of look like the pieces have been sized accordingly to prevent that), but the easiest way to work with that would be to use a large, rimmed baking sheet that accommodates everything, start with the items that take the longest (roasting at 400 or 425° for good caramelization), and add the other pieces of the puzzle to the baking sheet in increments, so that the fastest cooking items are in the oven the least amount of time, but everything is finished at the same time. People love to enjoy these alongside a salumi platter. Sounds perfect to me!
I agree. I've roasted veggies before, though mostly root vegetables so nothing like this. What do you think the largest veg is in the front right of the picture? Cabbage or artichoke?

Old 09-23-2015, 04:34 PM

811 posts, read 1,151,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I agree. I've roasted veggies before, though mostly root vegetables so nothing like this. What do you think the largest veg is in the front right of the picture? Cabbage or artichoke?
My first thought was Tuscan cabbage. It has long, slender leaves, like romaine lettuce but darker green. Sometimes it's called black cabbage. BUT it very well could be romaine lettuce too! I'm not personally a huge fan of cooked/grilled/roasted lettuces (especially as well done as this one looks), so I think I'd opt for #1 , but romaine does stand up to a grill okay, as far as lettuces go.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:11 PM

974 posts, read 1,906,807 times
Don't forget some tasty lemon zest or finely julienned lemon rinds! Or, even roasting lemon slices!

A little lemon goes a long way to perk the veggies up!

Old 09-23-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Don't forget some tasty lemon zest or finely julienned lemon rinds! Or, even roasting lemon slices!

A little lemon goes a long way to perk the veggies up!
Good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink