Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,996,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Much better to pull one out of the freezer and pop it in the oven, it's done, and hot, in less time than it would take to go fetch one.)
Own a grill?

Much better to use a pizza stone and make your own.

And better still to build a wood-fired pizza/bread oven like so many Italians have in their back yards. (They do wood-fired ovens like Americans do grills.)

Pizza and stir-fry are the two original fast foods. Considering how dead simple pizza is to make, I've always been a bit disappointed that people won't bother to learn to make their own.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:01 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
For the masses today it's about speed and low cost. Look at Little Caesar's. That place gets mobbed. I don't think any of the chain pizza joints are any good anymore. Yet they are edible.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:18 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I agree.. I actually nearly started a topic about this, because when I read the headline, my jaw dropped thinking "This guy is an idiot".. But, once I read the story.. I had some thoughts on it..

From the Pizza Hut standpoint.. I think what he meant was focus less on all the fancy-pants-ness that they have done in the past year or so.. People care less about "****-A-Doodle Bacon" and "Giddy-Up BBQ Chicken" pizza and other snooty things like 'drizzles' and care more about speed and convenience.

Personally. Pizza Hut is my favorite chain pizza.. it's really the only one that doesn't give me heartburn from the tomato sauce. I like their pan pizza, like their thin crust (Not a fan of 'hand tossed').. So, I think he's right, to a point, on it at Pizza Hut.. I think he meant focus less on getting fancy there.

Now.. The part that I question.. He said basically the same thing about Taco Bell. Listen, there isn't anything fancy about Taco Bell. And there's nowhere lower for the quality to go there. I mean, the special items they add are normally stuff like the Doritos shell tacos.
No, I think your first thought was right. Look at all three brands -- Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell. All three pretty much put out a low, low quality product today. Not at all the same as they used to. Like for example you consider Giddy up BBQ chicken as "fancy pant" and drizzles as "snooty." To the contrary those are pretty low end marketing concepts. Much like dressing some guy up in a white suit and calling him Col Sanders doesn't change the fact that what they're putting out is poor quality.

This is a pretty basic concept in (poor)quality, studied it years ago. Take a quality product. Up the price because it's quality. Then sneak a bit of the quality out so it's cheaper and profit margin goes up under the assumption that customers won't notice. Keep repeating until customers stop buying the product and then claim it's everything but poor quality. There have been case studies written on this for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Obviously Pizza Hut doesn't hold up against good local pizza that costs 2-3x as much, but they could win some of the cheap market from chains like Domino's if they had a better ordering experience.
Interesting because our local places actually cost less than the Hut.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
All but one pizza hut I'm aware of has closed here on LI, not surprising there is decent to great pizza every mile or so.

However, their pan pizza...is/was good. It wasn't regular neopolitan pizza or Sicilian like you get around here..it was something different and I enjoyed it once in a while, but that was for a sit down meal with friends.

Old 12-18-2015, 10:49 AM

658 posts, read 1,143,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No, I think your first thought was right. Look at all three brands -- Pizza Hut, KFC, Taco Bell. All three pretty much put out a low, low quality product today. Not at all the same as they used to. Like for example you consider Giddy up BBQ chicken as "fancy pant" and drizzles as "snooty." To the contrary those are pretty low end marketing concepts. Much like dressing some guy up in a white suit and calling him Col Sanders doesn't change the fact that what they're putting out is poor quality.

This is a pretty basic concept in (poor)quality, studied it years ago. Take a quality product. Up the price because it's quality. Then sneak a bit of the quality out so it's cheaper and profit margin goes up under the assumption that customers won't notice. Keep repeating until customers stop buying the product and then claim it's everything but poor quality. There have been case studies written on this for decades.

Interesting because our local places actually cost less than the Hut.

Right now PH is running 2 medium 6.99 with any toppings you want. (although it does stop you @ 10)
I'd like to see proof that your local place will beat that price.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:16 AM

135 posts, read 169,968 times
Cheap, speedy and convenient chains need to exist in markets where the demand is. It's that simple as they are simply out to make profits.

Once a consumer has developed a finer and more expensive taste, it is not common for them to subjugate themselves to what would beget nothing more than a form of palate punishment. They are no longer customers of these speedy chains yet I wouldn't be afraid of this looming trend to be much danger to places like pizza hut or dominos. They'll still get their massive profits from people that can't afford anything else or have no other buying choices.

I think it would be a mistake for Pizza hut to spend more money to cater to "high-end" crowd with "artisan pizzas."

They should just do one thing and do it well--Making and delivering affordable cardboard for everyone pinching pennies.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:35 AM

17,593 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
Nowadays at 30 I'm all Little Caesars $5 large pizzas type of person and nothing will get in the way of that until it is outlawed for being too unfair

I don't understand pizza elitism either because I've had Little Caesars and $15 hole-in-the-wall pizza and no difference in quality
Look, i'll pick up the $5 pizza from LC on occasion. But.. I sure won't say that there's no difference in quality.

The meats all have a much higher fat content in them from LC, which is why the box is almost soaked through all the way.. The cheese is still 100% milk, but there is far, far less of it on a LC pizza vs any other chain.. That's where they save the money. cheese is the most expensive ingredient in making a pizza.. It wouldn't surprise me if they have something measuring an exact amount of cheese for each pizza. The bacon is also mostly fat..

Now, i'm not saying the lower quality ingredients make their pizza bad, or anything of that nature. I just disagree with you saying that there's no difference.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:10 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLittleWing View Post
Doesn't surprise me they're losing money. Just assumed it was frat boy hangover chow.

Oh, so once upon a time (before I was born) it really was actually good?

I'm much younger then my spouse. as a kid, if my parents ordered that greasy, spongy monstrosity I rummaged the fridge for leftovers or skipped dinner. Thought it was vile. he was surprised and said they used to be good when he was a kid. I just shake my head at the annual pizza order - my folks talking about ordering that nasty pizza and the chat the next day about how bad it was and how they were never ordering it again. They have many awesome pizza places close by to chose from. Man, I miss real pizza.

Yes at one time Pizza hut was good. I am not a real pizza fan but returning from a trip recently thought we would go out of our road a little to get a good pizza. I am not sure which was worse the pizza or the service . Even their restrooms were nasty.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:26 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
Pieology is the new brand that's hitting So.Cal. by storm right now.
It's set up like Subway where you work your way across picking the ingredients you want on it all for the same price and then they put it in the oven right there.
They even have artichoke hearts as an ingredient.

Pieology - Fresh and Flavorful Pizza with no limits
It's "ok" and terribly expensive relative to ordering entire pizzas.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:33 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
Right now PH is running 2 medium 6.99 with any toppings you want. (although it does stop you @ 10)
I'd like to see proof that your local place will beat that price.
If they live in a really small town where everything is dirt cheap including labor and they have virtually no advertising budget....it's quite possible.

Pizza hut isn't awesome by any stretch of the imagination but for the chain pizza places that's true for all of them.

I'm a little confused by all the complaining though. It's like people that stayed at a Super 8 motel and then complained that the Hilton is just soooo much nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink