Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:06 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,546,807 times

Advertisements

The most common trend in the Portland area is making all food eclectic. Restaurants no longer serve any basic staples and even comfort foods are doctored up with eel liver, squid ink, monkey snot... Even food carts are jumping on the eclectic bandwagon. There was a time when I could go into any restaurant and find something fairly simple to eat. Now it's the opposite.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,923 times
-Stacked entrees. Vegetable on the bottom. Starch in the middle. Meat/protein on the top stacked like a Big Mac. I always end up separating the layers before I eat them. Like below the butt pants the trend can go away any day now.

- Waiter referring to the entire table as "guys". Since someone mentioned Goodfellas, when did servers become a perkier Joe Pesci?

-industrial decor. Since when did modern restaurants = surplus 1978 metal public school chairs and rickety cafeteria tables?

-this is more of a pet peeve than trend but at an accepts no reservations type sit down restaurant being walked through a partially empty dining room and open tables to the tiniest table in buttcrack of the restaurant next to the bathroom or the server station or a huge party with screaming children and drunk adults.
I always ask to be moved when I get this table. At times I think it's me, but i usually notice an attempt to seat other parties at the same crap table and them promptly ask to be moved as well. Yes sections open and close and they want to spread out the service, but it's like the seat right in front of the bathrooms on an airplane. Quit trying to fill it when other seats are open. Even if I am not dropping hundreds of dollars on a meal I would like a pleasurable dining experience without getting a whiff of the bathrooms, watch children swordfight with skinny breadsticks or listen to servers complain about management, other servers, customers, share their most recent staff hook up, or the clang of plates and glasses behind my head.

Last edited by Lubina; 03-25-2016 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-25-2016, 10:34 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Try this one next time, with a glass of Fleurie:

The Pine Barrens by John McPhee
I'll suggest Forgotten Towns by Henry Charlton Beck accompanied by a Jersey Girl made with Laird's AppleJack.

JERSEY GIRL
1 1/2 oz. Laird’s AppleJack
1 oz. Cointreau
1/2 oz. Fresh lime juice
2 dashes of cranberry juice

Untitled Document

Old 03-26-2016, 07:26 AM

171 posts, read 165,633 times
In the McDonald's I worked at, it just started getting table numbers and having table service like Culver's.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:57 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I'll suggest Forgotten Towns by Henry Charlton Beck accompanied by a Jersey Girl made with Laird's AppleJack.

JERSEY GIRL
1 1/2 oz. Laird’s AppleJack
1 oz. Cointreau
1/2 oz. Fresh lime juice
2 dashes of cranberry juice

Untitled Document
Haha, Laird's is in Colts Neck, a couple of miles from where I live. I pass it all the time.

Forgotten Towns sounds interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink