Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 01:03 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,130 times

Advertisements

I make a lot of salads and dishes that require a lot of dicing -- sometimes 10 diced ingredients plus the other things I'm adding.

I'm trying to find a small food chopper that substitute for hand dicing.
Any one have experience with these...or others?

Macy's (all electric):
-- Cuisinart Food Chopper -- $25 -- that's rated well -- 4 stars.
-- Oxo Chopper $20 -- rated well -- 5 stars
-- Kitchen Aid 3.5 cup chopper $60 -- also rated well -- 5 stars

Amazon and QVC:
- Genius Nicer Dicer (push down chopper into a container) -- $30-$40 + S&H -- rated 3 to 5 stars
- Kuhn Rikon 2 Cup Hand Pull Cord & Chop Food Chopper -- 20.00 +S&H -- rated well -- 4-5 stars

I tried my Magic Bullet, which just purred everything. Yuk Nasty. I also have a blender but that won't work either.

Hand dicing isn't the end of the world but if there's something out that that can speed the job, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 02:46 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
I make a lot of salads and dishes that require a lot of dicing -- sometimes 10 diced ingredients plus the other things I'm adding.

Macy's (all electric):

Amazon and QVC:
- Genius Nicer Dicer (push down chopper into a container) -- $30-$40 + S&H -- rated 3 to 5 stars
- Kuhn Rikon 2 Cup Hand Pull Cord & Chop Food Chopper -- 20.00 +S&H -- rated well -- 4-5 stars

I tried my Magic Bullet, which just purred everything. Yuk Nasty. I also have a blender but that won't work either.

Hand dicing isn't the end of the world but if there's something out that that can speed the job, why not?
Cuisinart products are junk in my opinion. I’d go with the Oxo (always a good, inexpensive option) or the Kitchen Aid (which is known for quality).

Personally I love doing veg prep. The trick is to get a top quality chef’s knife and a very large wooden cutting board. I visited a friend once and saw her slicing carrots with a steak knife on a glass cutting board. It was a tedious and absurd operation because she didn’t understand the value of having the right tools.

If you have the right knife and a little technique (look for video tutorials on YouTube) you can get through a lot of veggies very quickly.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
This:

Vidalia Chop Wizard : Amazon.com : Kitchen & Dining

I got one as a wedding gift after coveting one my mom had gotten for Christmas a few years ago. It's mess-free, and makes completely uniform diced bits of vegetables in two sizes. It was invented for onions as a method of dicing and measuring at once without getting onion-y hands, but it works for all kinds of vegetables, fruits, nuts, boiled eggs, etc., and it's FAST. It definitely speeds up the process.

The one I got off my wedding registry came from Target, where it's cheaper than the Amazon listed price, also.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,021,130 times
Thanks. I'll check those out.

Primarily I want to dice -- cooked beets, tomatoes, raw bell peppers, mushrooms, apple, and hard boiled eggs -- for salads. So the blades have to sharp enough to dice the tomato and egg with out crushing them. That's my fear. (carrots I just by pre-shredded)

Old 02-03-2014, 04:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
Quote:

Macy's (all electric):

Amazon and QVC:

slap chop = 5 dollars.

a sharp knife and cutting board...

.buy a victronix forschner ,,,a sharp friend for life

Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
Quote:

Primarily I want to dice -- cooked beets, tomatoes, raw bell peppers, mushrooms, apple, and hard boiled eggs -- for salads. So the blades have to sharp enough to dice the tomato and egg with out crushing them. That's my fear. (carrots I just by pre-shredded)
The one I linked will work for that.

I wanted it primarily because you can make fresh salsa with it in like two minutes, and most of that's peeling the onion.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Macy's (all electric):
Not something I would recommend.

Quote:
NOT electric, but an excellent buy if you want a quick chop of onions, garlic, herbs, nuts. You activate by pushing or slapping the plunger down with the palm of your hand. Z-shaped blade rotates a little after each stroke to even out the cuts. A kitchen classic that will probably outlast you.

Quote:
Excellent quality small food processor. Does a quick chop, coarse to fine, makes a great salsa or pesto. A quick pulse or two for chunky, more pulses for finer. Just dump all the ingredients in and whirrr whirrr you're done.

Quote:
Amazon and QVC:

Work OK with softer foods, hard to operate with harder foods, difficult to clean multi cut blades. IMO it's fiddly, with lots of pieces to lose.

Quote:
Actually a hand operated food processor with whirling blades. Works surprisingly well. I've never met a Kuhn-Rikon item I didn't like.

Quote:
Correct. Blenders are designed to deal with liquids, food processors are designed for handling solid foods. Putting solid foods in blenders tends to turn them into liquids.

Quote:
There's not a single item above I can recommend for everything you might ever want to dice. For a mirepoix or sofrito you can chop most items, but probably want to still use a knife for harder items like carrots. They're also not so good for very soft items like fully ripe tomatoes or avocados unless you just want to smash them.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:35 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,044 times
Quote:

I don’t think a food processor-type device is the best tool for these (delicate) items.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:07 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,757,354 times
Two words: Slap chop!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Oxo for the win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink