Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:51 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Mom used to make awesome fresh green beans with onions, potatoes and bacon in a pressure cooker. The pressure forced the taste of bacon through the beans and potatoes. Yum, that meal was delicious!
OK you sold me. That's my kind of meal!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 02:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
I have a pressure cooker and I use it for one thing: chicken gizzards. There is no better way to cook those babies. I pull it out when I want gizzards in my chicken soup or for chicken gizzard stew. Otherwise it sits in the cupboard.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:45 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I have a pressure cooker and I use it for one thing: chicken gizzards...
I've never thought of cooking gizzards in a pressure cooker, but it would definitely tenderize them. I like to BBQ them "low and slow" in my BBQ pit for "spectator chum." They transform into tender, smoky treats.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:52 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've never thought of cooking gizzards in a pressure cooker, but it would definitely tenderize them. I like to BBQ them "low and slow" in my BBQ pit for "spectator chum." They transform into tender, smoky treats.
Turns them into "baby food" in like, 20 minutes (as opposed to 2+ hours of boiling and even then they're still rubbery).

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 04-29-2016 at 03:12 PM..

Old 04-29-2016, 10:42 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
well I am not sure of that; I have been canning with them for years and have used the large, 15 or more quart but have used smaller ones as well. I never had a problem. Of course I do not can things like meat. I can use my freezer for that. I have not used an electric one though.: smack: I will take what you posted into consideration if I decide to purchase one. I will also consider all the comments on Amazon, which I think may be a little different. a
You don't need an electric one. I've always had the stove top model.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You don't need an electric one. I've always had the stove top model.
I have used them as well, but we got rid of our huge one a few years ago. We just were not canning enough to keep it. Now, I am somewhat sorry and just thought an electric one might be better: don't ask why; it is my senior brain at work and sometimes I think it has retired. BTW I did check the safety of canning with an electric one. It looks like some offered on Amazon are the same whether we put in electric canners or electric pressure cookers.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:22 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
hard boiled eggs in 6 minutes , pasta in 8 mins !!! Goodness this thing is awesome . I mean it will be a heat saver in the summer time and it is very easy to cook in and no fear about scrapping the beans off the ceiling years ago ....LOL
A bit over killed to use for hard boiled eggs and pasta. I was gonna mention pressure cookers are amazing for stews, meat on bone dishes, and hard to cook roots like carrots and sweet potatoes.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:45 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
I've been wanting to get the InstaPot so I can use it to make yogurt. I eat yogurt every day and get tired of putting so much plastic in the recycling bin. I also think it will be cheaper to some extent.

I don't know what else I would use it for though.... so I've held off

Old 05-02-2016, 07:10 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I was always terrified of my mother's pressure cooker when I was a kid.

It had a little weight on the lid that rocked from side to side while it spit steam out of it.
I got the instapot. It has a yogurt option as well. And you can brown/sauté. Mine was about $130.

** wow I see the prices went down a lot since I bought mine!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:17 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay power pressure cooker XL and we bought it online and it was 99.00 . and it is used for everything it replaces your slow cooker , canner etc go type Power pressure cooker XL in you tube and watch what it does .

I watched the you tube to learn how to use it . It is time for a new coffee pot too so now I'm in the market for one of those , Hamilton beach has some really nice ones out there too .
Go to the thrift store. Everybody got a Kuerig and gave away their beautiful cuisinart (and other brands) coffeemakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink