Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:06 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
OK so hearing that iron is best absorbed with vitamin C.

Father religiously drinks oj each am. Is there any traditional or an other breakfast food that I can get him to pair with his oj that will up his iron count?
Liver Mush/Liver Pudding is a popular breakfast food in the rural south. I think its delightful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:45 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,688,561 times
I still don't know why most people only eat steaks, animal organs have the most potency while being lean. Liver and heart have high quality concentration of iron and other minerals and low fat at the same time. A lot of folks in the country or South eat organs rather than just the fat parts of the animals.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:01 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,605,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
OK so hearing that iron is best absorbed with vitamin C.

Father religiously drinks oj each am. Is there any traditional or an other breakfast food that I can get him to pair with his oj that will up his iron count?
Cream of wheat is very high in iron. Someone mentioned dried apricots; dried peaches, dates, and raisins are also iron-rich.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:29 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Too bad about the meat. Liver is BY FAR the best source of iron. And not jyst any iron, but the superior heme iron. Maybe you can sneak it ground in somewhere?

Vitamin C increases absorption of iron, bu the way.
And calcium inhibits iron absorption. Pouring milk on iron fortified cereal ruins the whole thing.

Old 05-06-2016, 03:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Why not just start them on an iron dietary supplement and not have to worry about their diets?

Old 05-06-2016, 11:04 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Why not just start them on an iron dietary supplement and not have to worry about their diets?
Because it doesn't always work. Which iron supplement? On which day and with which meal? I've been dangerously, frighteningly anemic a few times in my life. You don't just throw an iron supplement at that.

I had to read and read, and try and try to figure it out.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:35 AM

1,979 posts, read 968,632 times
Add beans to a meal as a side or in a salad. Most varieties have between 10-15% per serving.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:06 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I still don't know why most people only eat steaks, animal organs have the most potency while being lean. Liver and heart have high quality concentration of iron and other minerals and low fat at the same time. A lot of folks in the country or South eat organs rather than just the fat parts of the animals.

the ewww& ick factor,,,,in many stores women make up 80% of the customer base,,,and many tell me they don't even like to touch meat ( sounds like they'd be a fun date )

the sight of liver, tripe, tongue, "grosses" half the younger population out- the people that know how to cook kidneys are dying off...

I've pushed offals for many decades,,,and one store I worked in had a Russian and Chinese customer base,,,whole different world,,,they would eat the offals and innards,,,they weren't squeamish at all

most americans have never been truly hungry so we are picky eaters... and many are very squeamish..

Old 05-07-2016, 08:13 AM

681 posts, read 2,358,979 times
This is the food board and your question will prompt food-related responses, but anemia is a medical symptom related to conditions that are frequently, but not always diet-related.

I am prone to anemia based on my love of caffeine and dairy, plus I am a platelet donor and my periods are heavy. My doctor recommends avoiding caffeine and dairy with iron-rich meals and supplementing my diet with a combination of iron/vitamin c/b-complex, which is what this thread is about. I become easily tired and cold if I don't focus on my diet and keep up with my supplements.

My husband seemed and looked healthy, not counting the occasional tiredness and sensitivity to cold. His blood panel was relatively normal but his RBC count a little low. But unlike me, those symptoms occurred in his early stages of Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma, which was identified by his PCP and through CT scans, then officially diagnosed with a lymph node biopsy. Same set of symptoms, different root cause.

Symptoms of anemia signal a change in health. Any person who shows symptoms of anemia should first consult their primary care physician.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:13 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
I've had severe iron deficiency anemia for most of my life (to the extent of having to see hematologists and oncologists to make sure I didn't have colon cancer, because as low a hematocrit as I typically evidence is usually associated with people who have internal bleeds due to things like colon cancer). I've frequently alarmed medical professionals who, upon doing my CBC, flip out and say, "How is it possible that you even have the energy stores to sit upright?" Well, because it's been this way for more than two decades, your body acclimates to "running on empty." It's still a concern, though, and was even moreso in my pregnancy last year.

Sometimes, the issue is not iron intake, but absorption. If plenty of easily absorbed, i.e. heme (i.e. meat source) iron is being consumed, but hematocrit is still low, absorption can be the issue, and nothing short of supplementation and/or periodic transfusion will help. For many, simply upping dietary iron intake will successfully treat the anemia, for others, it won't significantly dent it, because it's not the intake that is the issue.

There are plenty of non-heme iron (iron from plant-based sources), but they are not typically as efficiently absorbed as the iron found in muscle tissue/blood (organ meats are particularly rich). There are also different food/drink/nutrient interactions that either inhibit/encourage better iron absorption.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 05-07-2016 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink