Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:10 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

I got this information from "the cheese lady" at a reputable cheese shop, where I buy Camembert and all sorts of soft yummy French-cheese goodness:

- Unwrap the cheese from its current wrapping (when a piece is cut for you from a larger piece and just store-wrapped; if I'm buying a whole round that's been factory-wrapped, I'll wait until I'm ready to start eating it)
- Wrap the naked cheese snuggly in wax paper
- Then wrap that cheese-in-wax-paper tightly in tin foil
- Then put the cheese/wax paper/tin foil thing in a baggie and get the air out of it

She assured me that this is the best way to keep it fresh. That said, though, cheese doesn't last long enough for me for it to mold. I'm like a loose cannon when there's cheese around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 10:50 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I got this information from "the cheese lady" at a reputable cheese shop, where I buy Camembert and all sorts of soft yummy French-cheese goodness:

- Unwrap the cheese from its current wrapping (when a piece is cut for you from a larger piece and just store-wrapped; if I'm buying a whole round that's been factory-wrapped, I'll wait until I'm ready to start eating it)
- Wrap the naked cheese snuggly in wax paper
- Then wrap that cheese-in-wax-paper tightly in tin foil
- Then put the cheese/wax paper/tin foil thing in a baggie and get the air out of it

She assured me that this is the best way to keep it fresh. That said, though, cheese doesn't last long enough for me for it to mold. I'm like a loose cannon when there's cheese around.
Wow. Who's going to go through all that when they just want a small piece of cheese? That sounds like overkill to me.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:51 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Wow. Who's going to go through all that when they just want a small piece of cheese? That sounds like overkill to me.
Who said small piece?

ETA: We got home, ate the whole darn BIG piece, and laughed about all the effort we saved.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Who said small piece?

ETA: We got home, ate the whole darn BIG piece, and laughed about all the effort we saved.
I like to pretend I'm not going to eat the whole thing and keep sticking it back in the refrigerator.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Are you using a clean knife with the cheese. And only using the one clean knife with the same type of cheese. For an example, the knife you used to cut the cheddar and now use to cut the brie etc. A big no no.

Otherwise I would check the temperature of your fridge with a thermometer to ensure it's cooling correctly. It's how I figured out that my fridge wasn't working properly. It should be around 35 degrees give or take a couple of degrees.
checking the temp of fridge sounds like a good idea. I know our cheese seems to last forever, even after opined. If cheese is molding that fast, as the Op said, something must be wrong. I am guessing the fridge isn't quite cool enough. We eat a lot of cheese, but I keep a variety in our fridge all the time, from the simple sharp cheddar to the more exotic types. It is rare for us to have less than 5 kinds in our cheese container. r

Old 05-12-2016, 12:04 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Why worry? Let it mold, then grate, toss onto skillet and fry mixing continuosly. You will have your own very inexpensive version of VERY expensive Roquefort cheese.
My mom used to do this. Smell is horrendous during the process, but results are great.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I never keep cheese in the fridge once it has been unwrapped. It takes far too long to bring it back to serving temperature. Better to just have the cheese in small enough pieces that it will be consumed while it is fresh. And you can always cut small bits of emerging mold off.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I never keep cheese in the fridge once it has been unwrapped. It takes far too long to bring it back to serving temperature. Better to just have the cheese in small enough pieces that it will be consumed while it is fresh. And you can always cut small bits of emerging mold off.
That might work in Albuquerque, but not in humidity central. There's too much mold and mildew in many areas of the country to do that.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That might work in Albuquerque, but not in humidity central. There's too much mold and mildew in many areas of the country to do that.
I keep it wrapped and in a cheese bell because I have an evaporative cooler which means my house is kept pretty humid in the summer.

And any piece is consumed in 3-5 days. Same when I lived in humid New York summers with no A/C.

Old 05-13-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I keep it wrapped and in a cheese bell because I have an evaporative cooler which means my house is kept pretty humid in the summer.

And any piece is consumed in 3-5 days. Same when I lived in humid New York summers with no A/C.
Maybe it's the cheese bell? I've left cheese out in the winter without a problem. In the summer, though, it starts to sweat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink