Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 08:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times

Advertisements

Nice to see other people love beets! My fear is that they will somehow turn out to be bad for you...Beet juice is yum too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 11:06 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times
I love beets! Fresh, canned, roasted, pickled, hot, cold . . . I keep meaning to try beets on a burger, Australian-style. Has anyone tried that?

Old 06-29-2016, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
I am hoping when we go to the huge farmers market in Fayetteville next Thursday they still have them. It is getting close to the end of the season here and they are pretty pricy. Daughter and I would love to can a few jars.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:09 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
By the way, if you eat a whole lot of red beets like I did one day, you may think you're hemorrhaging the next day, if you catch my meaning. So be forewarned.
If you didn't mention this, I was going to. Truly scared my DH the next day, because he forgot he ate them the day before.

Put me down on the side of roasted, with just a drizzle of olive oil. I like to use red and yellow beets together. Carrots and parsnips roast well with beets, too.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:16 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,464,213 times
On several occasions, I've read that women tend to like beets more than men. I've also noticed this in my own family. My brother-in-law is the only man who likes them while my mom, sister and both grandmothers love them. The articles I read mentioned the iron content as being a factor in the higher proportion of female fans.

I'm a man and I hate them. Beets and eggplant are the only veggies that I won't eat. Give me anything green (even Brussel Sprouts) or squash, carrots or anything else. One reason I hate them is because they're always pickled. The spices used to pickle them include clove, which I am allergic to (or maybe intolerant is the better word). So anything pickled with conventional pickling spice is off-limits for me.

But they are pretty much a super-food, so they're a great thing to enjoy! I love broccoli, turnip/collard/mustard greens, kale (or any other leafy green, cooked or raw) and I enjoy a good glass of red wine a few times per week, so I figure that I'm covered. Y'all can have my servings of beets!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:38 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Harvard beets are great, too!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:43 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post
On several occasions, I've read that women tend to like beets more than men. I've also noticed this in my own family. My brother-in-law is the only man who likes them while my mom, sister and both grandmothers love them. The articles I read mentioned the iron content as being a factor in the higher proportion of female fans.

I'm a man and I hate them. Beets and eggplant are the only veggies that I won't eat. Give me anything green (even Brussel Sprouts) or squash, carrots or anything else. One reason I hate them is because they're always pickled. The spices used to pickle them include clove, which I am allergic to (or maybe intolerant is the better word). So anything pickled with conventional pickling spice is off-limits for me.

But they are pretty much a super-food, so they're a great thing to enjoy! I love broccoli, turnip/collard/mustard greens, kale (or any other leafy green, cooked or raw) and I enjoy a good glass of red wine a few times per week, so I figure that I'm covered. Y'all can have my servings of beets!
I suggest you try roasting a cut up fresh beet on a baking sheet, with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt.
425 until tender and slightly browned. 20-30 mins.
Then, if you don't like it, you don't like it, but at least you know for sure.

I don't get the eggplant thing either, unless you happened to get a bitter one, which happens sometimes. If it tasted bitter to you, you should try it again too. Eggplant really has no taste, its just a good vehicle for other things. Hate to see you missing out.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:45 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
YES! I love beets - the same way that you do! I eat them more in winter, than summer - but if I was served one right now, I would not turn it down!
Beet greens are a delicious and nutrient rich vegetable also. Don't discard them!
Mmmm borscht (all year long). Just made some beet salad yesterday. Since my last post about them
(3 years ago) they've become more popular:

Beets: The Hippest Food of 2016 (With 12 Trendy Ways to Consume Them)

Old 06-29-2016, 07:46 AM

983 posts, read 995,605 times
Beets rock! I like golden beets, the red and white chioggias, any kind really.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:21 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,402,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoZoom View Post

Thanks. I'll take yours.

But does this mean you also dislike pickle pickles?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink