Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2016, 12:11 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times

Advertisements

Its that time of year in Maryland (actually, its almost past). Tow weeks ago we went picking and brought home a couple pounds of red and purple raspberries, blueberries, and my favorite; black raspberries.

What to do with all this fresh fruit???

Well, after gorging ourselves and still piles of berries, we chose to freeze some (put on baking sheet, slide in freezer, bag after freezing).

I also took a bunch, pitted and added some ripe cherries, and dumped these and a pint of good vanilla ice cream in a silver bullet blender. Processed, then put in the freezer. Turned out great. Light and fruity. Kind of a cross between ice cream and sorbet. I drizzle a bit of Hersey's chocolate syrup on it and go to town.

This week we bought a bunch of local blackberries. Some are three inches long! and delicious.

Good for you too. Fiber, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 01:41 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Make Jam/preserves/smoothies.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Its that time of year in Maryland (actually, its almost past). Tow weeks ago we went picking and brought home a couple pounds of red and purple raspberries, blueberries, and my favorite; black raspberries.

What to do with all this fresh fruit???

Well, after gorging ourselves and still piles of berries, we chose to freeze some (put on baking sheet, slide in freezer, bag after freezing).

I also took a bunch, pitted and added some ripe cherries, and dumped these and a pint of good vanilla ice cream in a silver bullet blender. Processed, then put in the freezer. Turned out great. Light and fruity. Kind of a cross between ice cream and sorbet. I drizzle a bit of Hersey's chocolate syrup on it and go to town.

This week we bought a bunch of local blackberries. Some are three inches long! and delicious.

Good for you too. Fiber, antioxidants, minerals and vitamins.
Make some coulis. They probably freeze fine.
I do it all the time with our homegrown raspberries - kids love it on ice-cream. Warm coulis on cold ice cream.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
am not crazy over most berries frozen, but blueberries freeze beautifully. I just rinse them off, though them in a plastic bag and sprinkle a little (I mean a little) bit of sugar on them. I stick them in the freezer and have them all winter. Other berries we use for jam. If we have too many yes, putting them on a cooking sheet, freezing and then putting in bags works, but they still seem a little limp to me when defrosted.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Love them berries!!!

I don't like/ eat many veggies , but I do eat a lot of berries
Your body will tell you if you eat too much

Thanks for sharing/creating a positive thread!!

I love berries in whipped cream

Black raspberries,... Love em!

Berry smoothies are good in cold water. Or sunny delight

And are good on gluttonous amounts of ice cream!!

Old 07-13-2016, 08:43 AM

126,280 posts, read 19,053,589 times
Berries so many ways to eat and enjoy them. I use them in Swiss Müsli,pancakes,fruit compote,making jam,juices,smoothies,raspberry vinaigrette,use them in cakes/muffins, cold berry soup with cream of wheat dumplings ,sherbets or ice cream,freeze them or give them away as a gift.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:10 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Latley we have been adding the frozen berries in our ice tea, limeade, etc instaed of ice, then when they thaw, drink/eat them through a extra-wide straw!

Old 07-18-2016, 03:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Berry-picking and chiggers have a permanent connection in my mind. I squirm just thinking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink