Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you dislike the foods you wont eat?
Taste 50 67.57%
Texture 36 48.65%
Smell 25 33.78%
Look 9 12.16%
Reputation (What you think it is like because you have not, and will not ever eat it!) 5 6.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 03:03 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,950 times

Advertisements

I won't eat raw, or fresh tomatoes, I've tried, but just can't stand the taste, I'm gutted, (Brit slang for deeply annoyed), about this, as they look so good and succulent.
I'll eat them cooked though, in Indian meals for instance, or if I'm in Dixie and see fried green tomatoes on a menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 05:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
There is a thread gaining steam... Most disgusting food you ever tried. Good Subject.

But I wanted to add on - without hijacking that thread - and ask this...
Good question: I choose texture, but there are other things that affect what I like and do not like: of course taste is also a reason not to like something. I only can think of 1/2 dozen foods I really do not like,

Old 08-03-2016, 08:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
if some parents tortured kids with trying to make them eat their veggies when young,,,this is a reason some kids wont eat certain foods..

you cant leave the table til you clean the plate"

id try to feed it to the dog or throw it out

Old 08-03-2016, 08:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
All of the above. Texture is the big deal breaker for me though.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:59 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if some parents tortured kids with trying to make them eat their veggies when young,,,this is a reason some kids wont eat certain foods..

you cant leave the table til you clean the plate"

id try to feed it to the dog or throw it out
Woooheee - one of the biggest sticking points between my husband and I while my son was growing up!! Husband was of the mindset that you "Eat what we eat, and clean your plate!" I would not, and still DO not, subscribe to that theory and wouldn't subject the kid to it. I made a huge point about it one night after making something for dinner I knew the husband didn't like (but we did), and since then, he's seen things my way. Forcing the shoe on the other foot sometimes works!

Old 08-03-2016, 10:06 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Woooheee - one of the biggest sticking points between my husband and I while my son was growing up!! Husband was of the mindset that you "Eat what we eat, and clean your plate!" I would not, and still DO not, subscribe to that theory and wouldn't subject the kid to it. I made a huge point about it one night after making something for dinner I knew the husband didn't like (but we did), and since then, he's seen things my way. Forcing the shoe on the other foot sometimes works!

I was brought up quite strict and work work work it builds character attitude..
and yes it has helped me all thru adulthood

when my son came along,,, I made him some promises (after the C-section when we had 1 hour to ourselves) and one of those promises,,,is that I would never force him to eat anything he doesn't want to ..especially the evil gross foods like peas or squash ......- no head games, no test of wills

while growing up we never had a problem with eating,,i always gave him a choice and he was fine with what he picked

now hes 24 and a pharmacist,,, and a health nut ,,,eats no sweets and little processed foods
by his choice...not mine

its one thing to throw on an unknown food and say give it a try..
its another to try to force a kid to eat it
and just because their parents did it to them doesn't mean you have to cycle.....

Old 08-03-2016, 10:25 AM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I disagree...in my experience as a parent of 3, kids don't dislike certain foods because their "parents make them eat them," they simply start out disliking them. I had two principles for feeding my kids:

1) If I make it, you will eat it (at least some of it), because that is the polite thing to do when someone prepares and serves food for you.

2) You may have to try the same food 10 times or more before starting to like it.

My older daughter loathed asparagus. When she was about 4, she told me, "I will never like asparagus!" I just smiled and kept on serving her one spear every time I prepared asparagus, and she had to eat it. About a year later, or it may have been even longer, she said out of the blue, "You know, asparagus is really not that bad." Now it's one of her favorite foods.

This policy did not cause a huge struggle. We didn't give them huge portions, they simply had to eat a little bit every time. The hard part was over by the time they were 3 or 4. I suppose I was also fortunate to have kids who were not enormously picky and didn't have sensory issues. My kids (and my husband and I) don't like everything, not by a long shot, but when we need to, we can eat just about anything. This serves us well when we are eating a meal at someone else's house. There's nothing worse than working your tail off to prepare a meal for kids (or adults) who turn up their nose at just about everything. I've been there, and I swore my kids would not do that to others.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:33 AM

1,201 posts, read 1,224,899 times
I found many foods i liked once it was prepared properly. I like many vegetables raw instead of cooked. I never really liked broccoli until I started putting vinegar on it. Now I eat it plain,cooked,and with vinegar.

I dont like lettuce and stuff on things like hamburgers but i will eat salads.

That whole forcing kids to clean their plate of food has been shown to contribute to obesity.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:40 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
I used to hate fried onions because of their texture.. they reminded me of worms. I've always liked the taste though.

I hate cucumbers - the texture never used to bother me but these days I find them too soggy and wet. Not very appealing IMO. Not keen on the taste either.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:59 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,560,426 times
None of the above - would be my answer. As it turns out, the foods I will not eat all seem to have one thing in common- they contain a plant based protein which mimics my severe tree pollen allergies. Apparently I am cross reactive to certain plant based proteins and even if I like the food it will cause anywhere from a mild upset stomach to something much worse. So, I don't eat anything which includes beans, tree nuts, seeds, avocado,celery, mango, watermelon and a host of other plant based foods. I never know until I actually try a new food if I will have no reaction, a mild reaction or a severe reaction.

I never try a new food unless I am at home because I can develop a severe reaction within minutes or it could be 4 to 6 hours later.

It has been an issue my entire life, but, only in the past year thru my Google searches did I finally track down what was the underlying cause of why I avoided certain foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink