Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you dislike the foods you wont eat?
Taste 50 67.57%
Texture 36 48.65%
Smell 25 33.78%
Look 9 12.16%
Reputation (What you think it is like because you have not, and will not ever eat it!) 5 6.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 12:03 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,614,777 times

Advertisements

You didn't have a "None of the Above" as a choice.

I don't eat foods that upset my digestive system, and that's almost anything that's spicy. It's not worth being sick for 2 - 3 days at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 12:15 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
I would eat just about everything - as long it's executed correctly, and not (too salty, extra fatty, burned, spoiled, cooked wrong, etc.)
If done right, I have no problem with the look, smell or texture. I will endure food that is too bland for my taste, or too cold (will ask to warm up), overcooked or too raw (will return back to kitchen), but I will not return to that place for a while, or forever.

I don't necessary pay attention to reviews, because I noticed that people can seriously rave about food that I found less than mediocre, or they will complain about food I tried and found delicious.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:20 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would eat just about everything - as long it's executed correctly, and not (too salty, extra fatty, burned, spoiled, cooked wrong, etc.)
If done right, I have no problem with the look, smell or texture. I will endure food that is too bland for my taste, or too cold (will ask to warm up), overcooked or too raw (will return back to kitchen), but I will not return to that place for a while, or forever.

I don't necessary pay attention to reviews, because I noticed that people can seriously rave about food that I found less than mediocre, or they will complain about food I tried and found delicious.
Wholeheartedly agree! Food is such a personal thing - I may love a dish someone else just hates, and vice versa.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:04 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times
A lot of people have mentioned Mushrooms... I can't stand:
  • their texture...
  • their look... (especially portabellas with the fan membranes under the caps)
  • their smell - they smell awful uncooked
For those reasons I shouldn't go near them, but I absolutely love the taste of cooked mushrooms. I couldn't enjoy a pizza or burger or cheesesteak without them.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
-Snip-
There's nothing worse than working your tail off to prepare a meal for kids (or adults) who turn up their nose at just about everything. I've been there, and I swore my kids would not do that to others.
I so agree with you! And my son would never ever THINK to behave that way, nor would anyone we hang out with. People we know certainly have in the past, which is why they are now there - in the past. Someone who would behave that ignorantly was unfortunately probably raised that way and is like that in most things, it's not just because they're a picky eater.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:21 PM

326 posts, read 181,920 times
Very rarely, texture can cause my disdain for a food. An example would be white powder doughnuts. You can't even finish the donut without having powder all over your hands. It's really annoying. On the contrary, I can eat hot spicy Cheetos without a problem with the reddish powder it leaves on your fingers.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:30 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,936 times
Taste and Texture...

I cannot eat Meatloaf (and Salisbury steak).. got sick a few times as a kid.. Meatloaf is so repulsive to me that I used to gag when I would see a frozen one in the supermarket.

Funny thing is, I have no problem with hamburgers.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Taste and Texture...

I cannot eat Meatloaf (and Salisbury steak).. got sick a few times as a kid.. Meatloaf is so repulsive to me that I used to gag when I would see a frozen one in the supermarket.

Funny thing is, I have no problem with hamburgers.

I use to like baked potatoes but dislike mashed potatoes as a kid

Old 08-03-2016, 06:30 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I disagree...in my experience as a parent of 3, kids don't dislike certain foods because their "parents make them eat them," they simply start out disliking them. I had two principles for feeding my kids:

1) If I make it, you will eat it (at least some of it), because that is the polite thing to do when someone prepares and serves food for you.

2) You may have to try the same food 10 times or more before starting to like it.

My older daughter loathed asparagus. When she was about 4, she told me, "I will never like asparagus!" I just smiled and kept on serving her one spear every time I prepared asparagus, and she had to eat it. About a year later, or it may have been even longer, she said out of the blue, "You know, asparagus is really not that bad." Now it's one of her favorite foods.

This policy did not cause a huge struggle. We didn't give them huge portions, they simply had to eat a little bit every time. The hard part was over by the time they were 3 or 4. I suppose I was also fortunate to have kids who were not enormously picky and didn't have sensory issues. My kids (and my husband and I) don't like everything, not by a long shot, but when we need to, we can eat just about anything. This serves us well when we are eating a meal at someone else's house. There's nothing worse than working your tail off to prepare a meal for kids (or adults) who turn up their nose at just about everything. I've been there, and I swore my kids would not do that to others.
based on your reasoning,,,, if I served you two deer eyeballs in your mashed potato looking at you
you would try them? I think not

but like asparagus you just may like them if you tried 22 eyeballs

funny how the whole dynamic changes when you mention something you wont eat..

I can respect what you are saying,,,my parents use to start out saying just try it,,,,, and I did,,,thru the years and it still sucked..

I haven't had a baked bean in 33 years or squash or peas of turnip...id rather have the eyeballs

my neighborhood friend use to have to eat tripe, live, tongue, all the innards and offals,,

when he moved out of the house,,,he hasn't had any since and most people would say that's gross stuff anyways,,,,thats how I feel about the peas squash and turnip

Old 08-03-2016, 06:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,409,524 times
The one thing that I could NOT eat is this egyptian dish called molochaya. It was cold, green and slimy. I tried, though. I'm ok with hot and green and slimy...like boiled okra. But COLD was too much for me. The texture was gross.

Another one is oreos. Or any of the cookies with quote unquote Cream filling. It is just lard or shortening with sugar in it, if I'm not mistaken. Everybody loves these, but I can't put that kind of garbage in my body. I've had oreos before, but I took out the fat ball in the middle and just ate the cookie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink