U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-16-2016, 07:26 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
519 posts, read 360,011 times
Reputation: 731

Advertisements

any of you do this set up for your family? feasible? what do you like about this if you do this, pros and cons?

https://onceamonthmeals.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-16-2016, 07:32 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
38,134 posts, read 55,948,225 times
Reputation: 90007
Not sure I would want to cook all meals for the whole month at once, then portion, and freeze.
I do something similar once a week. Instead of cooking for one, I make a bigger pot, portion and freeze. I don't eat the same thing all week long, but have several different homemade meals to choose from. That's mostly for an "emergency" when I don't feel like cooking fresh from scratch, or don't have time.
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,446 posts, read 10,934,169 times
Reputation: 28195
I have mixed feelings about it. On the one, hand it's convenient for busy families, but on the other hand, for growing children, a lot of memories are made in the kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2016, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
25,124 posts, read 24,013,963 times
Reputation: 31038
Just thinking about that makes my back hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,177 posts, read 20,542,319 times
Reputation: 26496
I buy about 20 lbs of boneless chicken tenders at a time, and I divide them into meal sized bags, add marinades and freeze them. I make a teriyaki marinade, a fajita marinade, BBQ marinade and then some soaked in milk. Then I just have to thaw them and bake for 25 minutes. I have quick side dishes that go with all of them. The tenders soaked in milk are for making breaded, oven-fried chicken.

I also cook some boneless chicken breast in the crock pot...about 12 lbs is what will fit in my crock pot. I cook it all day on low and then divide it into bags and freeze it to use in enchiladas, casseroles, chicken alfredo or for chicken salad.

I don't do it all in one day though. That's too much work and I think it's hard on the freezer to put a lot of food in to be frozen at once, at least if you're using a chest freezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2016, 05:03 AM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
38,134 posts, read 55,948,225 times
Reputation: 90007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I have mixed feelings about it. On the one, hand it's convenient for busy families, but on the other hand, for growing children, a lot of memories are made in the kitchen.
^^^^^ This! So true!
Kids participating in daily cooking most likely grow up to be foodies, not fussy picky eaters...
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2016, 12:13 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
519 posts, read 360,011 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I have mixed feelings about it. On the one, hand it's convenient for busy families, but on the other hand, for growing children, a lot of memories are made in the kitchen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^^^ This! So true!
Kids participating in daily cooking most likely grow up to be foodies, not fussy picky eaters...
That was one of my thoughts too. I have two small boys, one of them is a very picky eater with food allergies to wheat, eggs, shrimp and peanut butter, which makes meal prep and mealtimes bit challenging for me. My oldest son is a very good adventurous eater who eats anything put in front of him with few exceptions. i love cooking, and am honestly getting bit bored with my meal reportaire.

So i came across this website...and wanted to see your thoughts? another dilemma i have is time as i my oldest starting kindergarten at a school that is 10 miles away from me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
11,177 posts, read 20,542,319 times
Reputation: 26496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2be1053 View Post
That was one of my thoughts too. I have two small boys, one of them is a very picky eater with food allergies to wheat, eggs, shrimp and peanut butter, which makes meal prep and mealtimes bit challenging for me. My oldest son is a very good adventurous eater who eats anything put in front of him with few exceptions. i love cooking, and am honestly getting bit bored with my meal reportaire.

So i came across this website...and wanted to see your thoughts? another dilemma i have is time as i my oldest starting kindergarten at a school that is 10 miles away from me.
I'm not sure a menu planning service like that will work well with a picky eater with lots of allergies.

You can still plan out a menu for several weeks or even a month and shop for it all at once and freeze food. The easiest way to plan it is to make a menu for one week and then just repeat it. Even if you're shopping for a month at a time, you'll still have to go to the store every week for fresh produce, bread and milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2016, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Islip,NY
17,484 posts, read 20,983,843 times
Reputation: 18358
I have never done this because it's only 2 of us. The only things I do make ahead and freeze is soup and homemade red sauce. But I'll be away for 4 days next month and I might make a few things for DH to have, I mean god forbid he makes himself a meal or gets something to bring home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2016, 05:17 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
519 posts, read 360,011 times
Reputation: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm not sure a menu planning service like that will work well with a picky eater with lots of allergies.

You can still plan out a menu for several weeks or even a month and shop for it all at once and freeze food. The easiest way to plan it is to make a menu for one week and then just repeat it. Even if you're shopping for a month at a time, you'll still have to go to the store every week for fresh produce, bread and milk.
That is what i still do, regardless of making many meals to freeze ahead of time. i easily go to my grocery store twice a week, mainly because to refill our fresh product, eggs, yogurt and milk quota. we go through tons of those stuff. It really stumps me to think of any other families who can do something like that; meal prep an entire months worth of meals?? makes my head hurt thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top