Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 10:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Rice cooker
Pasta making attachments
Ice cream maker
Crock pot
Waffle iron..I might use this occasionally, if it didn't take 5+minutes to make one waffle.
Panini press
LOL have you been in my kitchen?

Rice maker - total waste of space, got rid of it. Rice is easy to make anyway, in a regular pot.
Pasta making attachments - well, I just bought them and used them yesterday. It was a big mess but fun! I will use it again.
Ice Cream Maker - I've actually used this several times but only for special occasions.
Crock pot - we use this regularly.
Waffle iron - only when grandkids spend the night and if they don't want smoothies.
Panini press - don't have one.

I will add the immersion blender to my mix of things I don't use that seemed like a good idea at the time.
Coffee grinder - very occasionally. But it's a really cool color so I will keep it - LOL.
French press - occasionally, but when I do use it I like it.
Coffee maker - every day, sometimes twice a day.
Tea warmer - only in the winter.
Blender - regularly.
Toaster - regularly.
Yogurt maker - often enough to justify keeping it. I sort of go on yogurt rampages.

Juicer - THIS IS OF THE DEVIL. What a waste!
Magic Bullet - I bought one, tried it out, hated it, and returned it the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 10:54 AM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
What's wrong with the VitaMix?
It blended fine... but not much else worked.
The "all juice" was horrid.
(I used to joke that we were such bad cooks, that we "burned orange juice")
Soups "cooked" in the blender were blech.
Bread dough was a bust.
Not worth the money.
Once we got the Oster Kitchen Center, even the blend function of the VitaMix was superfluous.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:58 AM

274 posts, read 252,683 times
The blender. It's on the counter now, and I don't know why. Nobody uses it.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:34 PM

762 posts, read 610,663 times
For me it's the ice cream maker lol. Not too long ago I was going to buy the one that makes ice cream out of bananas too lol but don't have the space. I also have a brand new juicer still in the box that I bought years ago that I should have returned. I had a juicer growing up with my family and remember loving the juice, but it was a pain to clean. I have no idea why I bought a juicer as an adult.

My most used appliance is probably my microwave and then my Nutribullet. I actually do use my Nutribullet almost everyday. In fairness though, my mom has a blender that was maybe $30 which works the same as my Nutribullet (got at Costco for $80). The Nutribullet though doesn't seem to last more than a year as the tabs end up breaking and while I'm blending, juice often leaks from the top and the bottom. When that starts to happen, I just exchange at Costco.

I bought the Vitamix actually due to all the hype and ended up returning it after using it a few times. In my opinion if you are just making vegetable smoothies or any smoothies, blenders and the Nutribullet have always worked just fine for me. I do hear the Vitamix is great for other things like for baking and stuff, I just know I wouldn't be using it for anything other than smoothies.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:16 PM

12,061 posts, read 10,267,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
A rotisserie machine for doing whole chickens or roasts. (called SET IT AND FORGET IT) You don't dare forget it because if you don't have string wrapped around it a hundred times to keep it evenly on the forks, the chicken starts sagging off and catches the bottom or sides and stops turning. Then you're in for a house fire if you aren't around.

George Foreman Grill: we were given one and it's great for doing grilled cheese but a PIA for cleaning. Easier to just wash a non-stick frying pan in soapy water.

Toaster oven: slow to do toast, scary to do meat with the spatters burning on the sides

For those of you who don't like their RICE COOKER, is it making mushy rice? If it is, cut back on the water by 1/8 to 1/4 cup, (depending on how much you are making) and your rice will come out tender and perfect.

FOOD PROCESSORr: If you need to grate a lot of cheese (such as Mozzarella for pizza or lasagna), cut your cheese into slices, then cube them, toss it a handful at a time into your processor with the bottom blade and whirl away. MUCH easier than standing there using a hand grater. If you find the cheese is too moist and balling up, add a bit of dry parmesan cheese into the processor. I like that I can put it into the dishwasher afterwards too.
I love my rice cooker. Its a cheapie one and works great. And yes, add less water if you need too. But wonder if they are using the measuring cup that comes with it. I really need to measure how much it is, because if I lose it - i'm SOL.

I also use my rice cooker to warm up things. If I have leftover rice, I just put the little pan in the fridge, then the next day, add things to it (leftover pot roast for example), small amount of water, turn it on - and voila - hot food. Rice doesn't get mushy.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:41 PM

129 posts, read 78,280 times
Microwave - that's why I no longer have one!

Old 08-27-2016, 01:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

> Turkey Fryer <
A popular southern tradition is cooking Thanksgiving turkey via deep frying. As it is often still summer in November, cranking up an oven for 4 to 6 hours of roasting is unappealing. Enter the outdoor high BTU burner and deep fryer... for that 65 minute bird.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey_fryer
Unfortunately, such devices are often a source of fire, destruction and emergency room visits. Read instructions. View warning videos. Avoid boil over.

As a southerner who has been eating deep fried turkey as long as I can remember, I don't know anyone who has actually bought and used a 'turkey fryer'.

Most people make their fryers.

Just like they make their smokers.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:12 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
No, some things aren't well-suited to slow cooking, because they will get waterlogged and mushy or disintegrate over a long cooking period. Some ingredients stand up better to long, slow cooking than others, and things that don't need to be added late in the cooking cycle. Even for corned beef and cabbage dinner, I will cook the beef and potatoes for much longer, adding the cabbage at the end, or it will be waterlogged.

I Love my crock pot! Have you tried a whole chicken or cut up one yet? I just learned about this a year ago. You can't let it touch the bottom, so I criss-cross celery or crumble foil. Season and sprinkle paprika and it looks and tastes just like rotisserie chicken. So moist & tender. Oh, and don't add any liquid, doesn't need it.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:14 PM

19,020 posts, read 14,196,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
As a southerner who has been eating deep fried turkey as long as I can remember, I don't know anyone who has actually bought and used a 'turkey fryer'.

Most people make their fryers.

Just like they make their smokers.
You make your own 32 qt boilers/fryers?
Impressive!
I'd probably buy one like this - - -
https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic...dp/B0009K8SJ6/
- - -
And a 185,000 BTU propane burner like this - - -
https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic.../dp/B000291GBQ
Or
an "insane" 220,000 BTU burner:
14 Inch Propane Burner - 220,000 BTU
= = =
Can't forget a genuine Alton Brown turkey frying derrick shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O14bgW8xmqk

And for more info:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wZ7_0J3-Y

Old 08-27-2016, 02:28 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,237,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen88 View Post
stainless steel frying pan (looks great, but even air sticks to it)

:d :d :d Now That's funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink