Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:08 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Honestly, I think you're worried about nothing.
That's entirely possible! Sometimes too much of a good thing (opinions) is not all that good... For some folks like me the Internet wasn't exactly a blessing...

Quote:
Just one more tip: there are special cleaners out there that are made specifically for smooth-top ranges. They're excellent at getting off anything that might spill over and get cooked onto the surface of the stove. Very little elbow grease required.
Thanks. I did read about the cleaners. Found it strange, though, that some use razors... That certainly doesn't sound safe to me. Then again, somebody said that you also use razors to shave and not necessarily cut yourself (meaning you should know what you're doing), but I don't think I wanna venture into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 06:09 PM

323 posts, read 1,968,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Thanks. Will check it out. Many people recommend Calphalon. I just wasn't sure if all their sets meet these requirements. Read good things about Revere, too. Looks like it's less expensive. Again not sure which set exactly would work.
We've got the standard Calphalon anodized aluminum cookwear and the Calphalon One and they do *not* play well with the damned smooth top range. Fortunately for us we're only about a week from replacing it with gas. We've used many of these pieces for 10 or 12 years with gas without any problems but they really don't like the ceramic top.

I'm looking forward to enjoying cooking again.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'm moving soon and will have a smooth top stove. I'd heard before I'd need special cookware, but didn't quite believe it... The numerous horror stories I've been reading just give me the creeps and don't look forward to this pain in the rear at all. Since when did even simple cooking become rocket science?! Occasionally you see some happy reviews, but most people complain. As you can imagine, I'm not some big-time chef, but haven't had any problems with pots, pans, and stoves so far in my life.

Ellen's Kitchen

There are already plenty of tips online as to how to take care of the darn thing, but I'd really appreciate some suggestions on cookware sets (preferably with the exact name and/or link to the product) that have worked for you. Even read that some requirements are brand-specific... Haven't read the manual yet. Do they all have the same size eyes? Probably not...why would they... Because I'm reading that the size of the pans and pots has to be within 1/2 inch of the size of the burner.

Please help! SOS! Seems like I'll have to be on a microwave/grill diet until I have enough time to research another rocket science. It appears that none of my existing cookware will work. For now perhaps will buy just buy one or two flat-bottom items until I figure it out. Hopefully the microwave is not too fancy and even if it is, I still have my good ol' one that's been working for years just fine. Most likely won't lose any weight , but still wanna use the stove...

Oh, is it really true that if you take something hot out of the oven and place it on the top, the top will crack?
Hi,

I have a smooth top electric cooktop. Although I prefer gas I am stuck with what I have at the moment. I have made the best of it with Anolon Advanced Cookware. This is my favorite cookware on my cooktop. I have tried Le Crueset and Calphalon (just a couple pieces of each); but for the money and the performance I am happy with the Anolon Advanced. I got it on a special price of $179.99 including shipping from Amazon. They are higher now but do run specials from time to time.

I haven't experienced cracking like you mentioned. However, I use trivets or pads for all of my hot dishes.

Best of luck to you and Happy Cooking!

Old 02-24-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Hi,

I have a smooth top electric cooktop. Although I prefer gas I am stuck with what I have at the moment. I have made the best of it with Anolon Advanced Cookware. This is my favorite cookware on my cooktop. I have tried Le Crueset and Calphalon (just a couple pieces of each); but for the money and the performance I am happy with the Anolon Advanced. I got it on a special price of $179.99 including shipping from Amazon. They are higher now but do run specials from time to time.

I haven't experienced cracking like you mentioned. However, I use trivets or pads for all of my hot dishes.

Best of luck to you and Happy Cooking!
It's amazing how opinions differ so much... Some people like the smooth tops (still minority it seems), some hate them. Wonder if it depends on the brand, too... Mine is GE. Thanks for your suggestion. Just checked it:

Anolon Nonstick Cookware Set - Cooking.com (http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=543073&CCAID=FROOGLEMY543073 - broken link)

Looks like they can't go into the dishwasher. That's not really a big deal to me. The price is not totally outrageous, especially if I find some deals or coupons. Even though I prefer to get a set, once I know what I'm looking for, I can check T.J. Maxx, Ross, Marshall's, etc., and perhaps try a piece or two.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:52 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,488,743 times
On the Anolon, they recommend them to not go into the dishwasher. At first I thought that there was no way that I could live with that. I am a busy, working mom and my dishwasher is my best friend. But really, I promise, these clean up with virtually no effort. It is truly as simple as a rinse out, wash out and rinse out. I have not had one thing stick to them or require any elbow grease. I love the glass lids to watch my dishes as they simmer.

One thing also I want to mention about my glass cooktop. For the longest time I held it in contempt because I thought it wouldn't boil water, get anything hot, etc. Then, when I got new cookware, I found out that the cooktop worked just fine. I had evidently had crappy cookware that couldn't boil water. Also, the heat distribution is so good that I rarely ever turn the burners on high.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
On the Anolon, they recommend them to not go into the dishwasher. At first I thought that there was no way that I could live with that. I am a busy, working mom and my dishwasher is my best friend. But really, I promise, these clean up with virtually no effort. It is truly as simple as a rinse out, wash out and rinse out. I have not had one thing stick to them or require any elbow grease. I love the glass lids to watch my dishes as they simmer.

One thing also I want to mention about my glass cooktop. For the longest time I held it in contempt because I thought it wouldn't boil water, get anything hot, etc. Then, when I got new cookware, I found out that the cooktop worked just fine. I had evidently had crappy cookware that couldn't boil water. Also, the heat distribution is so good that I rarely ever turn the burners on high.
Washing by hand doesn't bother me one bit. I live alone now and don't even remember the last time I used the dishwasher... Some were saying that you shouldn't even turn on the burner without having a pan/pot on the eye. I mean, unless I happened to come across some cooking-obsessed folks' forum, it all sounded like too many darn rules for me...

Old 02-24-2008, 08:02 PM

323 posts, read 1,968,968 times
Quote:
Interesting difference in our experiences. Getting things hot and boiling water are the ONLY things that our ceramic top stove is useful for. Anything that requires well modulated heat is completely beyond it but it will boil water faster than any of the gas ranges that I've used. Great for pasta as long as you don't cook your own sauce

Old 02-24-2008, 08:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
It should say in your owners manual that to get the best heat tranfer you should use the better thick bottomed cookware.That way you get almost the same heat capablities as a true commercial range.I have had one for about eight years and love it.It is about the only way your going to get close to a commercial range heat without all the code issues of installing a true commercail range.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It should say in your owners manual that to get the best heat tranfer you should use the better thick bottomed cookware.
And what is it? Brand? Kind?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
We had a smooth top stove briefly and returned it as we didn't like it. I know we were told not to put large pots with heavy contents on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink