Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 01:36 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Unless you're using soap,, rinsing doesn't really accomplish anything that cooking won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 01:54 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,337 times
I guess I'm in the 'no' camp. I'm a big believer that cooking the meat to a safe temp is appropriate, but if you're more comfortable rinsing first, then by all means, knock yourselves out. Not going to hurt as long as you bleach the sink/counters that the water sprays on to prevent cross contamination.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:00 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I always wash all my meat and also clean down the sink and counters afterwards as well . My mother brought up a good point once , she said "what if the butcher forgot to wash his hands after he took a poop ? " Nope you wash all meats and yes if it is a whole chicken I sure wash that inside too . I don't trust any butchers if I don't see him or her wash their hands .

most chicken in large supermarkets or box/club stores,,,,butchers don't touch the chicken,,,,it comes to the store all pre-pack poultry at the plant..

ive been a butcher going on 35 yrs... at different stores now I supervise 50 stores and enforce sanitation standards

I can assure you ,,,,at independent stores that still package their own chicken ,,, all my stores use gloves and on a separate poultry bench to avoid cross contamination and the product is well below 40 f (bacterial growth is 40-140f)
also when I tell all butchers to of course change their gloves,,,but also wash their hands many many times a day ....and when coming in the department from breaks/lunches, that's the first thing they do is wash their hands

most of the time you will never be able to see a butcher wash their hands- because most sinks are obstructed by meatcases,,,equipment, walls, etc..

poultry and seafood is the outlaws in the meat family,,,and treated as such

sanitation standards are 10x better today than 30 yrs ago in grocery stores- one bad outbreak or someone getting sick,,,even if they undercooked it (meat) ,,,the business can be put out of business.
so they take sanitation very seriously,,

I have a family member that's a germaphobe,,and tell her just cook the chicken to 165f, you are all set

Old 10-26-2016, 04:04 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,744 times
I wash the meat to remove any bone fragments. I HATE getting a bite with a bone chip in it. I try to do it outside so I don't have to soap my sink afterwarda.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:43 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Rinsing certain meats, saltwater fish in particular, increases osmotic pressure as the cells absorb more water. This leads to the cells to explode, which in turn causes the product to get mushy. This is exacerbated if the meat contains blood. Anybody who has spent a good amount of time fishing knows that the proper way to kill a saltwater fish is in a saltwater and ice slurry. Fish killed on ice only or in freshwater and are borderline garbage. A fish killed in the slurry is firm, colorful, has clear eyes and nice red gills.

Water that contains salt and has a salinity level higher than the cells on the surface of the meat being washed has the opposite effect. It will tighten the meat up.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:04 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times
I assume when you ask "do you wash raw chicken" you are asking if you are rinsing it before you cook it? If that is the case how is rinsing the chicken supposed to get rid of any "germs"? Makes no sense. Would you just rinse your hands after using a public restroom?

Old 10-26-2016, 08:20 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,611 times
It is 100% unnecessary.

However I can't see the harm either.

If your "rinsing" technique involves water splashing all over the kitchen counters, you're doing it wrong.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:33 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I give my chicken a facial

Hainanese Chicken Rice Recipe | Steamy Kitchen

I brine poultry too.
Dang George, that looks good!!! Not a huge Sriracha fan, though, so I think I'd try to find a chili sauce.

I don't wash my meats unless it's something like pork chops with bone sawdust on it, or cut up chicken (or boneless skinless breasts) that are sitting in the yucky slimy water that they come with sometimes.

If I do rinse it, I am sure to dry well before proceeding with whatever recipe I'm making.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:41 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,453,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
It is 100% unnecessary.

However I can't see the harm either.

If your "rinsing" technique involves water splashing all over the kitchen counters, you're doing it wrong.
Thanks for the huge smile!

Old 10-26-2016, 09:18 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
That research came out a whIle ago.

I generally don't rinse chicken, except for what automatically occurs if I'm thawing a frozen bird.

The heat of cooking is a sufficient killer of incidental bacteria. So far, so good.
Agree, running your chicken under water in sink won't kill anything. The heat of the cooking will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink