Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 02:35 AM

4,944 posts, read 3,316,689 times

Advertisements

I found this article looking for info on Christmas dinners see
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...years-ago.html
Does anyone know articles about Christmas dinners in the home 100 years ago? Or any family stories hearsay anecdotes going back 100 years about Christmas dinner at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2016, 02:42 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,744 times
Turkey and prime rib on every menu? What a shocker!

Old 12-18-2016, 04:44 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
these were in restaurants,,,

,id guess most on a frugal budget were lucky to have a turkey

Old 12-18-2016, 06:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
I found this article looking for info on Christmas dinners see
What Christmas dinners in America looked like 100 years ago | Daily Mail Online
Does anyone know articles about Christmas dinners in the home 100 years ago? Or any family stories hearsay anecdotes going back 100 years about Christmas dinner at home?
Thanks fro sharing, I remember seeing a similar article many years ago about Thanksgiving dinner 100 years or so. It wasn't much like we have now.

I can't go back 100 years, but I can remember about 70 years ago; As for the smoking, almost all the adults sat around the table after dinner smoking and enjoying either coffee or an after dinner drink.

We almost always had shrimp cocktail for starters, dinner was turkey, home made stuffing and I still do it totally homemade. Dad always did broccoli with hollandaise sauce. We would have some type of fruit salad and of course mashed potatoes, wonderful gravy, and canned yams. dessert was mince meat pie which I am not sure many of us ate and pumpkin pie. Of course the whipped cream was real, not some frozen topping.

On Thanksgiving the menu was similar but we ate at grandmas house; one think she served instead of fresh fruit salad was avocado salad in line jello. It was awful cause the avocados would turn brown. Oh and we can't forget the little individual jello molds everyone used.

Daddy always did the carving and everything was served family style. dad carved the bird at the table, not in the kitchen like some do.

Old 12-18-2016, 06:11 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks fro sharing, I remember seeing a similar article many years ago about Thanksgiving dinner 100 years or so. It wasn't much like we have now.

I can't go back 100 years, but I can remember about 70 years ago; As for the smoking, almost all the adults sat around the table after dinner smoking and enjoying either coffee or an after dinner drink.

We almost always had shrimp cocktail for starters, dinner was turkey, home made stuffing and I still do it totally homemade. Dad always did broccoli with hollandaise sauce. We would have some type of fruit salad and of course mashed potatoes, wonderful gravy, and canned yams. dessert was mince meat pie which I am not sure many of us ate and pumpkin pie. Of course the whipped cream was real, not some frozen topping.

On Thanksgiving the menu was similar but we ate at grandmas house; one think she served instead of fresh fruit salad was avocado salad in line jello. It was awful cause the avocados would turn brown. Oh and we can't forget the little individual jello molds everyone used.

Daddy always did the carving and everything was served family style. dad carved the bird at the table, not in the kitchen like some do.
you can remember 70 years ago???

I thought you were in your 30's !!

Old 12-18-2016, 08:11 AM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Interesting!!!

Old 12-19-2016, 05:43 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

She's very young for her age.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

That would be a compliment except if you saw me, you would sure think I look old for 30s, Instead most people think I look young for being a few months under 80. I don't even have much grey hair and no, I don't color it, but one of these days I am going to wonder what color it used to be as it turns grey. Heck I can't remember my phone number 1/2 the time. YOu have made me smile this morning.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:10 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I really cannot remember our Christmas dinners, but I imagine they were roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, because that's what I always make.
Since we always had a Christmas party with a buffet on or around Christmas, what I remember most are snowflake rolls with crab salad in them. I have never been able to make crab salad that tasted like that.
If I had to guess, I would have thought there would have been more roasted goose back then.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I really cannot remember our Christmas dinners, but I imagine they were roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, because that's what I always make.
Since we always had a Christmas party with a buffet on or around Christmas, what I remember most are snowflake rolls with crab salad in them. I have never been able to make crab salad that tasted like that.
If I had to guess, I would have thought there would have been more roasted goose back then.
From the article I read about Thanksgiving dinner I think you are right: they did have goose, but remember 100 years ago was just during WW1 and people were leaving the farms, we were becoming a more industrial country and more people bought food at local grocery stores and the butcher shops. I am guessing turkey was still the number 1 source of protein on Christmas day. One thing we can be pretty sure of: they didn't use as many spices as we do today and they probably ate more foods with a lot of sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink