Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 09:58 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,574,118 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are not very familiar with Indian food, but we'd like to give it a try.
There's a restaurant nearby that has some good reviews.

What are your favorite dishes to order in a restaurant, especially for beginners?
Any tips for eating or ordering?
Is it generally like Thai food, where you can kind of tell them how hot you'd like it?
Are chapatis always served with the food, and do you use them like a tortilla or like bread on the side?

I just want to go in somewhat prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 12:07 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times
I have had terrible luck with the Indian restaurants I've tried (no, they weren't in India). However, I received a collection of traditional Indian spices as a gift (Kitchen Curry Master), and I've been amazed at how wonderful Indian dishes are when prepared with fresh ingredients.

When I don't like a dish I've never tried before, I always wonder if it was prepared properly. Apparently, I was sampling Indian food that was improperly prepared, so it wasn't representative of Indian cuisine.

Old 10-02-2016, 01:51 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,455,939 times
Can't go wrong with korma, tikka masala, palak paneer. Find an Indian buffet and you can try a bit of everything to see what you like. When I order off the menu they usually ask how hot I like it. The place I go to serves complimentary garlic naan, and the buffet has a wide selection including papadums and several chutneys, even dessert.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:08 AM

32,672 posts, read 48,139,958 times
If you are a beginner, I suggest that you start with a Korma.

The waiter will advise you on what is hot and what is not, but curries are long simmered so it is unlikely that they can adjust the heat for you. If you don't like hot, you start with the less hot dishes.

Indian vegetable dishes (like green beans or cauliflower) can be excellent and they are usually not hot. There are also vegetarian dishes which are made with lentils or the like, not vegetables.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:21 AM

126,303 posts, read 19,083,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
My husband and I are not very familiar with Indian food, but we'd like to give it a try.
There's a restaurant nearby that has some good reviews.

What are your favorite dishes to order in a restaurant, especially for beginners?
Any tips for eating or ordering?
Is it generally like Thai food, where you can kind of tell them how hot you'd like it?
Are chapatis always served with the food, and do you use them like a tortilla or like bread on the side?

I just want to go in somewhat prepared.

If you like meat I recommend keema ( spiced ground meat) and rice,lamb curry,butter chicken,tandoori chicken,chicken tikka. You can let them know how spicy you like it. Here in Canada if you want chapatis/rotis or naan you have to order it extra. When using roti/chapati one breaks a piece off and eats it with the food.
If you like lentil soups or chick pea daal or subzis/vegetable curries one usually eats it with roti/chapatis. It just tastes better. I have been cooking Punjabi food for over 30 years.

Enjoy

Old 10-02-2016, 09:22 AM

23,578 posts, read 24,102,669 times
Try butter chicken, tandoori chicken or fish, and biryani.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 AM

3,304 posts, read 3,035,266 times
My absolute favorites are Lamb or Chicken Tikka Masala and Palak Paneer. I can't handle hot spices, so I always ask for it to be made mild.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:03 AM

4,696 posts, read 3,482,203 times
I second keema. Lamb keema is some serious comfort food.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:23 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,880,463 times
I like all kinds of paneers, but DH does not like cooked spinach; therefore, I only get it when at the buffet.

And, personally, I would suggest to the OP that they DO go to a buffet rather than order off the menu. Lunch buffet on weekends tend to be better, especially if they are located near an active Indian community. While the food at the buffet is never as good as off the menu, it will give you a great opportunity to try many things. Nearly all buffets will have at least one each of a paneer, a masala, a biryani and a lentil dish (usually dal). Nearly all buffets will have tandoori chicken, or they will bring it to you, and na'an (which I consider essential) will be brought to your table freshly cooked. Go hungry and skip the salad stuff.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:31 AM

12,056 posts, read 8,449,416 times
I wish I could say I like it as I'm not a picky eater and enjoy most of the ingredients that are used. But every time I eat Indian foods this quote from "Amadeus" comes to mind:

I like spices but the number involved in those intricate dishes just jumbles up on my tastebuds.

I had a friend from India in the Seventies and she often entertained us with pakoras or samosas and I did love those. I also enjoy the breads.

My daughter is skilled in Indian cooking. In addition to her regular chef's job she cooks for a pair of American doctors from India and their daughters.

She just tells me I'm not experienced enough yet and have to keep trying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink