Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 02:44 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
People want less preservatives in their food. That means a shorter shelf life for baked goods.

I have to make my own bread and it only stays fresh about three days. I keep a couple of loaves in the freezer in case I don't have time to make a loaf. You could do the same with your store-bought loaf, take half out and put it in the freezer, then get it out when the other half of the loaf is gone.
I'm single, so buy only one loaf at a time. I freeze it not long after I get it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 02:48 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
I have to freeze it, so I haven't noticed if it doesn't last as long as it used to.

I think the selections of bread are now awesome. It's easy to find reasonably priced whole wheat or whole grain or high fiber breads.

My preference is Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat. 5 grams of fiber per slice...60 calories. It's delicious, too. Not like an artisan bread or something really fattening. But far superior to the lower calorie breads that first came out years ago.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:54 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,827,945 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61
Most of the major bread companies like sunbeam, sara lee etc ...are putting out such poor bread products
Indeed..... Its not soft like it was in the 80s!!!!! -- Its disgusting,stale and gross!!

When I used to make toast in the 80s,IT WAS SOFT AND DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

Old 01-20-2017, 04:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
I dont buy that factorymade bread that comes in the local supermarket but instead i go to one of half a dozen local bakeries, one such at the Atwater Market,=
http://www.xplorocity.ca/partners/up...d_montreal.jpg

Old 01-20-2017, 04:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,006 times
Anyone tried "Killer Bread"? Absolutely love it.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:31 AM

88,520 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Yes, there are so many places putting out "artisan" breads now--silly name but better quality--and local bread baked fresh. You can get good bread--but you have to pay a little more for it.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:38 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Most of the major bread companies like sunbeam, sara lee etc ...are putting out such poor bread products . I like to keep at least one loaf of bread in the house but when you go to get a slice it is really dryed out almost to the point of being stale after only a week or so in the pantry ....sad really . I can remember my grandmother getting a loaf of bread at the store and she would still have it two weeks later and not dry at all . Why is that ? have things gotten that bad ?
Pre-sliced bread (or the normal loaves you generally find in the bread aisle at the grocery store) always seem stale to me, or something. They just don't taste like real bread, the kind that's home-made. I only get the frozen kind which to me tastes a lot more like home-made bread. My husband still likes the regular bread, he gets the whole-grain or 15-grain kind from either walmart or aldi that is relatively not overly expensive (I think it's about $2.50 to $3 per loaf); I want to say the brand is arnold (at least the one at walmart), but not sure, we currently don't have one on hand right now. He keeps it in the refrigerator though and says it's still good after a couple weeks. Maybe you can try moving it to the refrigerator and see if it helps.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:17 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, there are so many places putting out "artisan" breads now--silly name but better quality--and local bread baked fresh. You can get good bread--but you have to pay a little more for it.
Very true. Delicious bread is abundant now, even in the grocery stores. I hate paying 4 or 5 bucks for a loaf though, so we rarely do that - only as a special treat. And even then, I usually have to freeze the remainder as I just don't eat it that often. Not sure why the OP or anyone else would expect a loaf of bread to stay fresh after 2 weeks.

As for the bread on the shelves, my favorite is Arnold's Oatnut. It makes great toast!

Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Indeed..... Its not soft like it was in the 80s!!!!! -- Its disgusting,stale and gross!!

You must be buying the wrong bread.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:53 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,051,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post

You ever look at the ingredients?

This is Sunbeam
Wheat Flour Enriched Unbleached ( Flour, Barley Malted Flour, Niacin Vitamin B3, Iron Reduced, Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1 [ Thiamin Vitamin B1 ], Riboflavin Vitamin B2 [ Riboflavin Vitamin B2 ], Folic Acid Vitamin B9 [ Vitamin aB ]), Water, Corn Syrup High Fructose, Yeast, (, Vegetables Oil ( Soybeans Oil, Or, Canola Oil ), Salt, Dough Conditioners ( Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Calcium Stearoyl 2 Lactylate, Monoglyceride, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Peroxide ), Soy Flour, Calcium Sulphate, Calcium Propionate, To Retard Spoilage., Monocalcium Phosphate, Yeast Food ( Ammonium Sulfate )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink