Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 01:46 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Don't eat at restaurants.

Its unfortunate, because eating out is also a form of entertainment. However, I would think the anxiety of worrying about your food would outweigh the pleasure of dining. You really can't trust restaurant staff to understand and follow your concerns. Oftentimes they are foreign workers, and their understanding of English is limited. They just smile and nod a lot! Even if the server speaks English well, he has to communicate that to the cooks, who often don't understand, or just don't care. Sometimes they will deliberately serve something you stated you can't eat just for meanness. You just don't know what you're dealing with at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 04:17 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
How about asking to see the package the food came in??? Seriously.. The hotel where I work puts out a Continental Breakfast of all quick prepackaged items if someone asks (normally a parent) if some thing contains _______ I will go in the food area and bring out a package for them to check.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:55 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I've noticed some places tell me wrong information about whether an item contains an allergen. I've been a close second away from eating something I'm not supposed to. What saved me is double checking and asking the staff again.

If I make the mistake of eating something I'm allergic to, due to their store's carelessness, whats the recourse in this situation?
You don't eat there again. Don't buy prepared dishes, make your own.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:18 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
And if the OP is thinking he can prove negligence on the part of the restaurant, the restaurant may just say that it was the diner's negligence for choosing to eat at a restaurant that sells things he's allergic to. With severe allergies, just eating food prepared on the same surface as the allergen can cause a reaction, i.e. a cutting board, or griddle, may contain residue from the food you are allergic to.

Old 04-07-2017, 11:43 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
We ran into this problem on a flight traveling overseas we were given a breakfast box which included a muffin, no where did it mention nuts. Luckily I tasted mine before hubby took a bit, it had walnuts in it.

We talked to the stewardess who said they aren't given a non nut option all breakfasts were the same.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:30 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
I am so allergic to peanuts that I cough when we go somewhere there is peanut "dust". I am also allergic to shell fish. When we go to a restaurant, I always ask the server to check with the Chef to see if my food is sauteed with Peanut Oil, ect. To be on the safe side I carry an EPI Pen with me at all times, "just in case" I run into a problem.

When I go to the market & want to buy store baked cookies, etc. I read the ingredients. It will usually say, "may contain traces of peanuts/nuts". It is up to me to make the determination whether to eat the product or not. If my throat starts to close, it is my fault for eating it not the store that sold it.

When in doubt pack a lunch. Besides peace of mind knowing what you are eating think of the money you will save.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:00 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I have a job where I work outdoors so I hard to avoid eating out.
Allergy or intolerance? One can make you sick, but the other can kill you.

My brother developed a problem with sulfur containing foods, most often eggs, onions, garlic, cruciferous vegetables. It's not hard to avoid broccoli. Onions and garlic are in so many restaurant dishes that it was a roll of the dice every time he ate out. He liked to go to a restaurant once in a while, so he just prepared for the worst.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:37 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Buy a small cooler and several packs of blue ice. Make your own lunch and snacks, grab water bottles and blue ices and pack that cooler. I'd suggest a insulated lunch bag, but if you're outside, an insulated lunch bag won't work as well as a real cooler. The small igloo playmate cooler costs around 20 bucks and holds a 6 pack, so it could hold a sandwich, cut up veggies and fruit and a couple of bottles of water.
Doesn't this cause you to feel like someone's mother? We have to tell him to how to pack a lunch? My son pulls this sort of thing on me every once in a while. He's legally been an adult for quite a while, but seems to have gaps.

I guess I'm looking at him from been there, done that.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:28 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
No real recourse. When you eat out, you take that risk unfortunately.

Old 04-08-2017, 09:18 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Doesn't this cause you to feel like someone's mother? We have to tell him to how to pack a lunch? My son pulls this sort of thing on me every once in a while. He's legally been an adult for quite a while, but seems to have gaps.

I guess I'm looking at him from been there, done that.
Not really. I find a lot of people can't see the forest through the trees, as it were. Simple logical steps in an answer to a question does help.

Even me, on occasion. When that happens, I ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink