Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:36 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times

Advertisements

Footage of horses being hearded through the killing chute in Mexico is horrific. These beautiful, and highly intelligent animals are terrified. All they ever did was to serve humans and deserve a better ending than that. I've had horses for a long time and we are very attached to each other. They have unique personalities and are so much more than disposable when their owners tire of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 12:07 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Footage of horses being hearded through the killing chute in Mexico is horrific.
There are more humane ways to slaughter a horse, but since it is illegal to do so in the US, we send them to Mexico.

I have eaten horse twice. Once in the form of a large thin steak, and once a cured sausage, sort of like a salame. Both were good. I also had a mule stew. The former two were in France, and the latter was in Tanzania.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:22 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
I thought we are discussing the taste and quality of horse meat not the religious/psychological/political/cultural issues.

While horse meat slaughterhouses were banned during the Bush Administration, the ban expired in 2011, thereby allowing horse meat slaughterhouses to restart operations.
Reuters claims that around 130,000 horses are slaughtered each year in Canada and Mexico — and it seems the United States wants a huge chunk of that business, as well.

Horses are still being shipped to Canada and Mexico for slaughter and, in many cases, human consumption.

Our closest neighbor - Canada, has a multimillion dollar horse meat industry... Mexico is the second largest producer of horse meat in the World...
Out of 238 years of USA, Americans have eaten horse meat for more than 150 years - both out of necessity, and for its unique taste.

It's very difficult to think of a completely "rational" argument for why certain animals are deemed acceptable to eat while others aren't. We have this tendency for a kind of morality that we apply to human beings to leach out to other species, and then the criteria for which it leaches out to is seemingly rather arbitrary.
We can't even put a stop to inhumane treatment of cattle, hogs and chickens, but not many seem to care about those animals at all.

Last edited by elnina; 06-19-2017 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Horses are often injected with not-safe-for-human-consumption stuff, as their medications aren't chosen with that in mind like other meat livestock are. Personally, I would not eat horse in the US, as I don't know how much of that can linger in the muscles and fatty tissue of the animal.
I won't go into the details, but I was present when a vet had to put down a highly agitated horse once. He gave the horse a massive muscle paralyzer and the horse's adrenaline overrode it. After receiving this dose, the horse still took off, galloped through the woods, and leaped straight down a 6 foot embankment onto a cement patio. At that point, he was caught, literally choked down, and given a second, much larger dose to euthanize him. That one worked.

Eat that horse meat? No way, Jose!

Not to mention all the vaccinations and worming meds given to horses over their lifetimes.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:14 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Horse meat is perfectly safe to eat (when produced, transported, and so on under sanitary conditions, just like any other edible meat).
Horses in the United States are not bred, raised or treated as meat. Almost all equine medications and treatments are labeled "not for horses intended for human consumption."
In the European Union, horses intended for slaughter cannot be treated with many medications commonly used for U.S. horses.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:33 PM

1,462 posts, read 973,938 times
I have had horse meat in Switzerland on two occasions. It was very tasty and I would not hesitate to have it again. It is more common to see on a menu in a restaurant in Europe.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Footage of horses being hearded through the killing chute in Mexico is horrific. These beautiful, and highly intelligent animals are terrified. All they ever did was to serve humans and deserve a better ending than that. I've had horses for a long time and we are very attached to each other. They have unique personalities and are so much more than disposable when their owners tire of them.
I own some cows.

You ever seen a baby calf?

Now THAT'S a cute animal!

Buddy of mine owns a turkey farm. I help him occasionally.
Chick's are SO CUTE!!!!

Like I said, this was my buddies animal, I knew the medication history, the meat was safe.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:45 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Buddy's horse was struck by lightning and he jokingly offered to let me have some meat.

....one should not joke with a Cajun about food.

I cut off 20 - 30lbs of roasts and steaks and grilled some for dinner. (The rest is about ready to come out of its ice water soak.)
I was disapointed, I honestly couldn't tell a difference from it and a beef steak. (I'd read it was a sweeter meat.)

Just thought some would be interested.
THeres a restaurant in Paris that specializes in that.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
If I had a friend trot out offers of free meat without needing to pony up cash in return I'd be jockeying for position at the front of the chow line and digging in with unbridled enthusiasm.

I think the majority of the US has a romantic view of horses. I can see that. Save the mustangs and all that.

A section of horse owners view them as livestock to be utilized in farming, driving, etc (not sure what else is in that category, maybe dude ranching, trail riding companies). I think the Amish can safely fall into that category. Don't get me wrong. Amish get a bad rap when it comes to horses.

But look at the racehorses, both Thoroughbreds (the breed that runs the Kentucky Derby) and WORSE, Standardbreds/harness racers. Those animals, especially Stbds are tossed aside like Greyhounds if they stop winning money. Everyone loves those races but you're promoting the exploitation of animals for profit and THEN??? You don't support slaughter. What would you propose?

I apologize, I'm sure this is all been said/argued before. I say eat horse steak - I've known a few that should have been destroyed. Don't let them starve and die of abuse/neglect. I can see it both ways. I adopted 4 and kept the 3 harness racers until death do we part (I have one left). Best horses every btw.

Us them to feed the starving or at least for zoo carnivores. I love horses but I can see the livestock view, too. I feel worse about eating pigs. They're so dang smart I feel bad about it. (but I do)

Old 06-19-2017, 06:47 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
I respect the opinion and adventure of those that wish to consume horsemeat. I have to pass and stick with the old tried and true meats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink