Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 12:30 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,607,699 times

Advertisements

take cauliflower, break or cut it into bitesize florets, toss with a little olive oil, S&P and roast until lightly browned on a few edges. Hold that in a large bowl.

Saute a chopped, fist-size onion and some red bell pepper (about half as much as onion) in some more olive oil until the onion is translucent and starting to get some color. Add one minced garlic clove and stir until just fragrant, and then add in a handful each of golden raisins and toasted pistachios (or almonds, or pine nuts), squeeze the juice of a lemon over it and add some grated rind, a few shakes of hot pepper flakes, add in a tablespoon or so of capers and another tablespoon or so of the caper brine. Toss the hot mixture over the cauliflower and toss well. Check for salt. If it needs more sweetness, add a little honey or very good balsamic. Add some fresh chopped parsley right before serving

This travels well and can be served at room temp, lightly chilled, or hot. It's easily doubled and tripled if you need to make bunches. It looks very nice made with green or yellow or purple cauliflower, or all mixed together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 01:25 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I would not worry about tying into the Chinese. Not a fan, plus its a weird choice for a shower. Unless there will be Chinese attendees.

Authentic Chinese? Hope not, many Americans who go to China find the food not edible. Including several on a trip we took. Could not wait to find a McDonald's. A place I never eat unless in China,.

I'd be eating what the 2 posters above suggest.
Well, the groom is a Chinese immigrant, so yes, there will be other immigrants there. I should perhaps clarify, by authentic I mean homemade by a person that generally cooks food the food she knows best as she was born in China. Based on what the bride-to-be has said after eating many meals there, it's delicious, and I suspect she will cook things that will be liked by many--none of the "real" stuff one would only find in China. It will be authentic in the sense that it will be food she cooks daily and grew up eating and she is an immigrant.

Keep the ideas coming. It's a few weeks away, but I'm getting some ideas.

The whole thing would be easy if I could find a decent take-out/catering place that didn't do the usual stuff. This did just give me a great idea though. I was thinking I needed to purchase something in that area. I'm also going to look for some places local to me.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:06 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Well, the groom is a Chinese immigrant, so yes, there will be other immigrants there. I should perhaps clarify, by authentic I mean homemade by a person that generally cooks food the food she knows best as she was born in China. Based on what the bride-to-be has said after eating many meals there, it's delicious, and I suspect she will cook things that will be liked by many--none of the "real" stuff one would only find in China. It will be authentic in the sense that it will be food she cooks daily and grew up eating and she is an immigrant.

Keep the ideas coming. It's a few weeks away, but I'm getting some ideas.

The whole thing would be easy if I could find a decent take-out/catering place that didn't do the usual stuff. This did just give me a great idea though. I was thinking I needed to purchase something in that area. I'm also going to look for some places local to me.
I would go light if the Chinese food is heavy. Veggie plate - Stuffed celery, carrot sticks, broccoli and cauliflower florets and dips. I like the frittata idea. If the Chinese food is spicy make yours not spicy... and also more nibbles than full dishes...

Old 07-09-2017, 02:20 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,422,321 times
Chicken salad, quinoa salad with roasted veggies, falafel made with gluten-free bread crumbs, melon...

Old 07-09-2017, 04:24 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
I would cook a whole fish that can be served cold and also have some rotisserie chicken, maybe from Costco that was shredded and can be served cold. Then Melon balls in a bowl and ice berg lettuce wedges with a ginger dressing. Maybe add some cashews and mints in bowls too.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:29 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
I would do a salad only luncheon. Maybe even a nice salad bar with a variety, including fruits.

You could have some nice breads and rolls on the side. A summer luncheon lends itself easily to salads imo. What is your budget? There should be some nice summer salad recipes online, as well as the old standards. Have a few friends over to make salads the night before, or the morning of....and enjoy yourself.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:33 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,583,267 times
Chinese food can be kinda greasy and heavy compared to other Asian food. I would have a tray of melon wedges, a tray of a nice variety of grapes cut into small clusters, marinated mushrooms with picks, and a plate of canapes. Some of the canapes can be on cucumber rounds for gluten free. The melon and grapes look lovely when the plate is garnishes with a rainbow chard leaves. Cupcakes are easier to serve, but they are messier to eat so I would go with sheet cake.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:44 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
im a big kabob/skewer fan

fruit kabobs veggie kabobs.... skewered meats ..

spring rolls are always good

teriyaki chicken wings/ beef strips from flank steaks

Old 07-09-2017, 08:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I would cook a whole fish that can be served cold...

Old 07-09-2017, 09:24 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
I would go with something totally opposite from Chinese food. Not everyone likes Chinese food. If it's greasy, there are some who can't eat it. If it's spicy, there are some who can't eat it. There are others who prefer plainer food.

Definite a tossed salad and some rolls. I would make sure the salad dressings are vegetarian and gluten free.....it's surprising how many aren't! I would also do some sort of fruit. You will need at least one dish with a protein. Could be mini quiches. Chili in a crockpot with or without meat. Baked potato bar. Taco bar. Lots of possibilities!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink