Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 07:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,166,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's one small company that might carry them. You may have never heard of this company, but it's called Amazon.
I think I have, actually, online shopping and all that, right? lol. Looks like they have quite a selection! What's your Herts connection? Watford was my home town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 08:18 PM

783 posts, read 576,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This sounds like an argument we'd get into here: America, this Scottish person wants you to stop eating eggs wrong

Long story short, a Scottish guy on Twitter went on a rant about how Americans don't a.) use egg cups, a.1) don't eat soft boiled eggs, and b.) don't have electric kettles.

I know it's a cultural difference, but it's funny how he just can't imagine that soft boiled eggs aren't really a thing here. "How do you dip your toast soldiers?" We don't, and what are toast soldiers?
Kettles? To boil water? Is he living in 1900?

There's this new invention, buddy. It's called a Keurig. You press button and hot water comes out in 15 seconds. And you can make coffee and tea in the same amount of time.

I hate when people from lesser countries try to tell Americans stuff. It's worse than mansplaining.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's one small company that might carry them. You may have never heard of this company, but it's called Amazon.
Actually, eBay has hundreds of them, from vintage to contemporary.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonimuso View Post
...I hate when people from lesser countries try to tell Americans stuff...
I hate boorish people from any country.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Electric kettles ARE lovely.

I prefer scrambled and can't imagine why anyone would think other forms were superior.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:01 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Eggs....the final frontier.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:27 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
No kidding - I have yet to find a breakfast type diner that knows how to cook a soft boiled egg. And they serve them in a dessert bowl - ridiculous. The last time I tried to order them, they were blistering hot and I couldn't handle them as they were served in a dessert bowl. I ended up asking for poached eggs, which were served watery in the same dessert bowl. I don't bother ordering them anymore.
Heck, you don't think many restaurants would know how to make a soft boiled egg, I wonder how many in the younger generation have even heard of soft boiled eggs? Those of us who do remember eating them as kids and remember the egg cups as well are showing our age. I don't think I have had one in 50 years.As a kid we had them, including using the cups quite often. Now, it is poached eggs on toast.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:06 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
First, the guy needs to learn to communicate without profanity.
Second, we don't need "electric kettles". We do just fine with our stove top kettles.
Third, we fry our eggs "sunny side up" or "over medium", with runny yolks, and dip our toast points in the yolk. Yes, some of us fry them hard, so the yolk is not runny at all. It depends on how WE like them.
Fourth, we really do not care what he likes or does not like. Those are HIS problems, not ours.
Fifth, the last "soft boiled" egg I had was prepared by my grandmother. Yes, she actually had glass egg cups to hold them. I didn't like them those many years ago, and I doubt I would like them now. IIRC, I used to scoop the eggs (two of them) out of the shell onto my plate, then eat it, with buttered toast. I suppose he would consider that barbaric. I really don't care.
Every nation throughout history that failed, failed to cook eggs properly.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
I think I have, actually, online shopping and all that, right? lol. Looks like they have quite a selection! What's your Herts connection? Watford was my home town
No connection to that particular Herts. Sorry.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 07-12-2017, 07:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Who cares how people eat their eggs. This guy seriously has some issues. Do we make fun of how or what they eat in Scotland? NO! I don't have time for that, nor do I care!
Right. Anyone who eats black (blood) pudding and pork and beans with breakfast doesn't need to be criticizing someone else for how they prefer their eggs.

That being said, this here American actually does have an electric kettle (made right here in the US by KitchenAid), and I also occasionally make soft boiled eggs and serve them in egg cups! But scrambled or poached eggs are my personal favorites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink