Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:13 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Advertisements

Here - some interesting regional names for common food. (I never heard any of them except Lutefisk, but that's the proper Scandinavian name, I think)
25 Regional American Foods You Might Not Know (But Should) | First We Feast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 01:18 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I still have no clue what "pop" is. It doesn't sounds pleasant, though...
Pop where I grew up is specifically Pepsi
White pop is 7Up
Soda is a Rootbeer Float
If you want a Coke you need to go to another town

Old 07-25-2017, 01:19 PM

132 posts, read 107,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Like the Italians who leave the last vowel off of words ... like mozzarell, prosciutt, and past.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
I agree with you that people drop the vowel on those words, but those folks are Italian Americans. My family immigrated here from Southern Italy when I was a baby. I grew up in a small Philly suburban town with many Italian immigrants. They aren't the people not pronouncing the vowels at the end. Believe me, Italians can't say English words without ADDING a vowel to the end! LOL 2nd, 3rd, etc. generation Americans of Italian descent are the people that drop the vowels. My boss is one, a Philly 2nd generation American of Italian descent. That's the way they learned the Italian words from their parents and grandparents. We bicker about pronunciations of Italian words. I know I'm correct, so I just roll my eyes and let him think what he wants! LOL I call it a bastardized version of Italian! Which reminds me...I call what is mixed with pasta and made from ripe tomatoes "sauce" not "gravy", which is what my boss from Philly calls it. It's tomato "sauce" not tomato "gravy". To each his own!

Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 PM

A Coney Dog is different than a Cozy Dog and a Cozy Dog is the same as a Corn Dog and a Chicago Dog is different than a Coney Dog, Cozy Dog, Corn Dog and Stadium Dog.

Last edited by CSD610; 07-25-2017 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: nevermind

Old 07-25-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So people where you are from say they are having "slice" for dinner, and everyone would know they mean pizza?
I've heard "a slice" used to mean pizza. I think it would be used like this:

"What are you having for lunch?"
"I'm grabbing a slice."

Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Actually, they're all sodas down here. Pop is from up north somewhere. Coke is Coke everywhere, if it's specifically what you're asking for. You may have lived around a lot of snowbirds when you heard those terms.
Check out this "soda vs. pop" map: http://discovermagazine.com/~/media/...pop.png?mw=738

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 07-25-2017 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
A Coney Dog is different than a Cozy Dog and a Cozy Dog is the same as a Corn Dog and a Chicago Dog is different than a Coney Dog, Cozy Dog, Corn Dog and Stadium Dog.
CSD610, I've heard hotdogs called weiners, franks, frankfurters. I've heard stuffing called dressing and filling. I've heard pancakes called flap jacks and hot cakes. Hoagies are subs. Green beans and string beans are used interchangeably.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:38 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,165,276 times
I didn't know this until a couple of months ago. A friend said he was eating "modern meat pie" and I was like what is that?

Turns out that it's Shepherd's Pie.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:41 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
California. When I was little it was pizza pie, I'm guessing because there was a sizeable population of east coast transplants in our neighborhood. Now it's pizza. Used to be french fries, now it's fries. There were string beans too but now like you said they're green beans. A hoagie is a sub. I think as many people say dressing as say stuffing. Same for frosting and icing. One time when I visited the midwest I noticed people said sweet peas and sweet corn (and they were surprisingly sweet compared to ours) where we would just say peas and corn.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGirlNow View Post
CSD610, I've heard hotdogs called weiners, franks, frankfurters. I've heard stuffing called dressing and filling. I've heard pancakes called flap jacks and hot cakes. Hoagies are subs. Green beans and string beans are used interchangably.
Whatever you believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink