Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 02:50 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,295 times

Advertisements

People who celebrate real food and no processed food create everything from scratch, I don't eat anything packaged from the supermarket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Has anyone else noticed this? Iced tea for instance. I grew up making iced tea with Lipton tea bags and boiling water. I poured it over ice, and added a little sugar and lemon. I was probably making it for my dad when he was mowing the lawn. Later I learned to drink it without sugar. Does anyone make it fresh any more? It is quite easy to do.

Biscuits. This is another easy food. You make them a few times and you've got it down pat. Does everyone get theirs out of a can now?

Pie crust. I get this. Piecrust is sort of hard, and if you don't have time to learn how to do it, then I understand why a store bought crust beats no crust at all. I still make mine, but am I practicing a dying art?

For that matter, does anyone brew hot tea in a teapot any more? I seem to surprise my kids when I brew tea in a pot and pour into their mugs. They seem to prefer having a separate tea bag for each mug. They normally pour hot, not boiling, water into each separate mug. This is not efficient. Of course you could make an acceptable mug of tea in the micro, I guess.

I make all my salad dressings, my hummus, my guacamole. None of this is hard. Does anyone else do this?

I have also never used cookie dough bought in the dairy case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 02:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
...I don't eat anything packaged from the supermarket.
So, you just grab an armload of unwrapped meats and toss them in the back seat?

Old 08-14-2017, 03:28 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,383,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Does anyone else do this?
Yes. I am pretty much from scratch kind of girl.

My co worker said to me the other day, "we felt like pancakes, so I ran out to the store to get pancake mix".
I kept quiet but I was thinking, "how hard is it to put flour, butter, salt, sugar, eggs, milk, baking powder in a bowl and mix it together?".

Anyways--I grew up like that--my Mother was a scratch cook, my sister and I know no other way.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:50 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
People who celebrate real food and no processed food create everything from scratch, I don't eat anything packaged from the supermarket.
You completely live off the land? That's impressive. I don't know how to make my own sugar or flour, for example. I know how to make butter but it's not practical for me to make it all the time (ditto mayonnaise). I wouldn't have the first idea how to make soy sauce or Sirracha or fish sauce.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:57 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
I confess to having a box of Aunt Jemima Complete on hand as emergency food if I'm out of milk and eggs. I prefer from scratch but I often don't have milk or eggs on hand.

I used to start with veal bones to make brown sauce for things like Bordelaise. I discovered More Than Gourmet products. I haven't made sauce or stock from bones in years. The only exception is I use the leftover clam stock from making steamed clams to make clear broth chowder.

I make my own BBQ sauce and red sauce. I grind my own meat.

I occasionally make mustard but I'm Hellmans, Heinz, and the rest for condiments.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
I make tea from teabags still unless I'm out and get iced tea from Starbucks. I've never been a fan of bottled/canned tea.

I buy Reames noodles because they are just so good and I could go to the trouble to make homemade egg noodles and have it not taste as good.

I haven't made pie crust since high school home economics class! I love homemade crust for pies, pot pies, cobbler, etc. I just don't think I can make it like my mom/grandma made it and I'm sure frozen is better than I would make on my own. When I'm retired and have more time, I might tackle things like egg noodles and pie crust.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:11 PM

691 posts, read 419,522 times
chili

Old 08-14-2017, 04:15 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
My ma used to make the world's greatest pie crust (but then, can't everybody say that about their ma's?) using the back-of-the-Crisco-can recipe. Crisco used to be mostly lard (maybe all lard?) but then they changed the Crisco to contain more "healthy" oils and the crust hasn't been the same. Now she just buys pre-made crusts too. I bet they use real lard at the bakeries.

NPR in Chicago plays a Sat morning series on advertising/marketing. In one episode they relayed the story about the first instant cake mixes that came out in the 50s: just add water and stir. They sold poorly although they apparently tasted ok.

Then they did some marketing research and came to realize that women didn't feel like they were really baking when using the new fangled mix. Further research found that if they left out the powdered egg and had the user add a real egg, then that made them think they really baking and sales picked up and became an American standard.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:21 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
I have made bread and some pretty good ones but for convenience I still buy it more.

I've made homemade cakes and brownies but they never seem to taste as good as a doctored store bought mix. I make my own cookies, muffins, candies and pies.

I make my own pie crust and also graham cracker crusts but I buy the oreo crust sometimes.

I make my own iced tea, limeade and lemonade.

I make granola.

I make my own pancake batter.

I make applesauce, apple butter, pear butter, and relishes.

I make pretzels..those are the only way to go.

I make my own pizza, and meat sauce for lasagna. My DH likes frozen pizza so he gets that and he also likes Prego so I will use that for his meatball subs(also pre made as beef has gotten so expensive and he likes the frozen meatballs)

I make my own soups.

I have made salad dressings but mostly just use oil and vinegar. I have never made any condiments.

I would love a recipe for the Creamy Chicken Rice but I haven't found one yet.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:48 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
My ma used to make the world's greatest pie crust (but then, can't everybody say that about their ma's?) using the back-of-the-Crisco-can recipe. Crisco used to be mostly lard (maybe all lard?) but then they changed the Crisco to contain more "healthy" oils and the crust hasn't been the same. Now she just buys pre-made crusts too. I bet they use real lard at the bakeries.
Crisco has always been made of vegetable oil, but the formula has changed over the years. I do agree that lard crusts are better, and I don't think lard is the evil killer it was once made out to be, but it's hard to find these days. My mom got her oil pie crust recipe from a Wesson Oil cookbook before I was born, and it's the easiest thing ever and very flaky.

I tried the ice water, don't-touch-it-with-your-hands kind of pie crust once and it was a disaster. I'm willing to believe the fault was in my technique, but I never bothered to try it again. 2-minute oil pie crust for me!

___

My mom used to make granola and everyone loved it. I have her recipe, but we just don't eat enough cereal to make it worthwhile. It was pretty simple, oats, sugar, coconut and a few other things, baked in the oven.

I've never bought pancake mix. I always mix up pancakes and waffles from scratch. The best waffles I've made are yeasted ones that have to be started the night before, but they're still very simple.

I make applesauce from apples from my tree in the fall. Otherwise, it's cheaper to buy prepared applesauce than to buy apples and make it.

I make bread, but use a bread machine to knead and raise the dough. Then bake it in the oven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink