Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:23 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I don't know of ANY Teriyaki take out by me - it's just "Chinese". I admit I haven't looked though - it's not something I've ever "had" unless I make it myself.

ETA - nope - just checked. I did a search on Teriyaki take out and my town, I get links to places that have Teriyaki Wings like Gators Wing Shack.
I think it's mostly a west coast thing where all the asian people live. It's a staple of cheap fast food out here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 02:01 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
I think it's mostly a west coast thing where all the asian people live. It's a staple of cheap fast food out here
In the Raleigh area, we had a trend maybe 5-10 years ago of quick service hibachi restaurants. Go up to the register, place your order, watch it hit the flattop grill, and wait for your number to be called. They had a few other things like gyoza or udon, but for the most part it was a combo plate of white or fried rice; teriyaki chicken, beef, or shrimp, a side of vegetables (broccoli or squash/onions) and a side of "yumyum" sauce (a weird creamy pinkish sauce). These places were everywhere. But they seem to have mostly shut down now. I guess it wasn't a very profitable model, despite the $10-15 price tag (just for the combo plate), and the popularity.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:08 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
In the Raleigh area, we had a trend maybe 5-10 years ago of quick service hibachi restaurants. Go up to the register, place your order, watch it hit the flattop grill, and wait for your number to be called. They had a few other things like gyoza or udon, but for the most part it was a combo plate of white or fried rice; teriyaki chicken, beef, or shrimp, a side of vegetables (broccoli or squash/onions) and a side of "yumyum" sauce (a weird creamy pinkish sauce). These places were everywhere. But they seem to have mostly shut down now. I guess it wasn't a very profitable model, despite the $10-15 price tag (just for the combo plate), and the popularity.
We have a big chain called Flame Broiler on the west coast which is similar except they call their sauce Magic Sauce and you can get a combo for about $6. I prefer one of the local mom and pop place which sells side orders of hot dogs and american cheese wrapped in a egg roll wrapper, deep fried and served with a sauce made of teriyaki and mayo. So bad yet so good

Old 09-21-2017, 08:18 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,446,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
We have a big chain called Flame Broiler on the west coast which is similar except they call their sauce Magic Sauce and you can get a combo for about $6. I prefer one of the local mom and pop place which sells side orders of hot dogs and american cheese wrapped in a egg roll wrapper, deep fried and served with a sauce made of teriyaki and mayo. So bad yet so good
Fancy meeting you here , lol.

Flame Broiler is pretty good. Also Waba grill. I prefer Waba grill a bit better.

Is the mom and pop place Yaki's in Burbank?... I haven't been there but it sounds like that place. I've looked it up before and driven by many times.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:53 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
We have a chain in Albuquerque called Teriyaki Chicken Bowl. The bowl to include white rice and a few vegetables is $6 and does not include drink. Also I don't know how authentic it tastes compared to teriyaki on the west coast.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:16 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,373,369 times
I dunno, $7 or $8, I guess. I don't memorize prices.
And I think every restaurant on this island offers some version of teri chicken, so I could probably find it as cheap as $4, or as much as $30.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:05 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Yes I know Manhattan is more expensive then bumscrew Arkansas ( no offense to AR )

Just curious as to what you are paying and what geographic location

Just got a single take out order a moment ago.

what are you paying and what city area ?

I live 1 hour north of Seattle WA

edited to add.... specialty orders like say Mongolian beef are higher cost ( approx. $11 ) and you actually get less entree' as compared to amount of Teriyaki chicken
You'd be surprised about Manhattan...we used to get better quality for half the price in Philly than here in WA state. We're learning that west coast food isn't the same as east coast

Old 09-22-2017, 10:25 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
You'd be surprised about Manhattan...we used to get better quality for half the price in Philly than here in WA state. We're learning that west coast food isn't the same as east coast
Yea I have never been to NY - I just figured everything there is super expensive as I know real estate / housing and rent is very costly there.

I notice extreme differences in quality and taste from Teriyaki places in the same neighborhood. No doubt east coast - west coast Teriyaki is hugely differant

There are a couple local places who I really like the way its prepared and the sauce they use works for me.
So I of course frequent those places. No need to experiment unless I am out of town and the urge hits me.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Yes I know Manhattan is more expensive then bumscrew Arkansas ( no offense to AR )
Why would someone be offended by having their towns compared to anal sex?

Anyway, my city used to have dozens of cheap and filling independent teriyaki chicken bowl joints as well as a chain. All the indies are gone (that I know of), but the chain is still around. These places are fast food and the quality and price is commensurate with that.

The #1, chicken teriyaki over a bowl of rice with some broccoli and carrots is $5.99, no drink, no sides. With a drink, add $2 so not far out of line with your prices.

I think this is maybe a dollar more than back in the early '90s when these made up a significant part of my diet. I would have expected it to be more in the $7-8 dollar range judging by fast food prices.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:37 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Why would someone be offended by having their towns compared to anal sex?

Anyway, my city used to have dozens of cheap and filling independent teriyaki chicken bowl joints as well as a chain. All the indies are gone (that I know of), but the chain is still around. These places are fast food and the quality and price is commensurate with that.

The #1, chicken teriyaki over a bowl of rice with some broccoli and carrots is $5.99, no drink, no sides. With a drink, add $2 so not far out of line with your prices.

I think this is maybe a dollar more than back in the early '90s when these made up a significant part of my diet. I would have expected it to be more in the $7-8 dollar range judging by fast food prices.
Actual meaning to me has nothing to do with anal sex ( then again I guess all convicts might be pre-occupied with that thought ! )

The Teriyaki 'bowl' prices near me are misleading as its a lunch time special and a severely smaller portion of food.

Around here the lunch bowl specials are around $5-6 but are truly bad value as the portion you are getting equates to 1/2 the regular chicken teriyaki meal gives you that only costs around $8.75 most places.

You are paying 80% of the price for 50% of the food when you order the 'bowl' special in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink