Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 08:09 AM

619 posts, read 577,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Yea I know the nutritional value and high sodium etc and everything else about healthy foods and the marks against processed meats

Its not like I am making a sandwich daily. its a treat that I would enjoy every few weeks and make an awesome sub that I would chow down over the weekend or create a killer philly cheese steak or build an awesome club sandwich

Mostly my diet is far more healthy that most.

I just find it difficult to make a damn cocl cut sandwich and pay more for the cold cuts that a nice steak would cost from the butcher section of the same store
Well, if this is a twice a month or do treat, then go for it. Maybe it is expensive, but if this is quality meat, then you are paying about $8 for a high quality sandwich? I'm assuming about half a pound of meat, a roll, some vegetables. That's not so terrible.

I live alone and due to my work hours, carlessness and other factors, I tend to go to whole foods more than shop rite. But even at whole foods, I buy awesome bread, nice cold cuts and cheese, olives, etc and I can put together a sandwich at around $4-5 (bread, mustard or pesto, meat/cheese, vegetables).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 08:30 AM

649 posts, read 819,273 times
I agree that it has gone up and is insane. I live in the midwest, so no $15 minimum wage here and grocery-store brand smoked turkey is $9/lb and Boars Head is $10. But my monopolistic grocery chain always seems to have a "sale" so realistically the grocery-brand sells for $7 and Boars Head for $9.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:41 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,075,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I no longer believe the supply and demand statement.
It works in an assumed, highly simplified environment. Otherwise, not so much and not so well.

Regardless, my demand for pastrami is infinite.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:50 AM

32,690 posts, read 48,227,692 times
The price of all food has gone up.

But that roast beef, raw, is about $6 a pound and loses about 30% of the weight when cooked. It's been handled, trimmed, brined, roasted, packaged by workers earning $15 an hour. Then it is shipped with a driver who gets $25 an hour and the government law says he must park his rig and take a 30 minute break every 4 hours, which he is still being paid for.

At the market, workers paid $15 an hour move the roast into the deli case and then slice weigh and package it for you. The market is paying for the electricity to keep the meat cold and for the lights so you can see it. They are also paying SS taxes, disability insurance, and health insurance for that $15 an hour employee.

I suspect you are buying it for very near cost.

In Seattle, you could try the deli counter at Winco. They might be cheaper and they sell good products. Costco sells good deli meats, but you have to buy a 2 pound package.

( I am sympathetic. Gritting my teeth to be paying almost $5 for a loaf of my favorite Seattle sour dough bread)

Old 09-23-2017, 08:55 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,033,242 times
Being priced out and being unwilling to pay are 2 vastly different things.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:58 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,460,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Does your area have the HIGH minimum wage regulation?
IF so, that might explain the HIGH price - the customer always pays in the end.
At least in my area, that has nothing to do with it. Our supermarket deli workers are union.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:03 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,266,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
being priced out and being unwilling to pay are 2 vastly different things.
+1.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:24 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,118,768 times
I sometimes fear a famine, so I don't mind being very slight overweight at 166 lbs. I heard N & S Dakota had a drought, and you know what happened to TX & FL... So maybe all those weather tragedies affected the food supply and prices.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:01 AM

26,247 posts, read 49,145,261 times
Our Kroger supermarket here in Phoenix is the Fry's brand who carry the upscale Boar's Head brand of deli and it's great stuff but not cheap. By not cheap it's like $9.99 lb for their Ovengold Turkey and some of their hams. But I noticed yesterday that they had a special running on Boar's Head items where you could get a half-pound EACH of Ovengold Turkey, a ham, and a cheese for the flat fee of $9.99 Maybe they have such a deal in your area....

PS: I love sandwiches and know that it takes great bread to make a great sandwich. Along those lines I've stopped buying iceburg lettuce in favor of a new line of spouts carried by my Safeway. I hate dealing with lettuce and storing it and trying to use a whole head of the stuff before it goes bad. Lettuce is mostly water and has little flavor. This new line of sprouts come in a very small container in which they are grown and never touched by human hands. They have great taste, better nutrition, better crunch than lettuce and take up almost no space in our fridge. Do take a look at this link for Ra Nanoshoots. I put a handful of these on my sandwiches along with a good ripe tomato slice, mayo, etc. My preferred sandwich is Ovengold Turkey and Dill Havarti on a sturdy whole grain bread. Yumm.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:22 AM

983 posts, read 1,184,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Being priced out and being unwilling to pay are 2 vastly different things.
If I am not willing to pay the asking price .... I am being 'priced out'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink