Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,565,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Y
I have really found no good alternative for roast beef.
Roast beef is a toughie (lol excuse the pun). One deli guy told me that it gets "tougher" as it gets older. don't know if it's true or not but it definitely doesn't last in my fridge more than a few days.

Usually I get it by the 1/4 pound at most.

Have you ever frozen the ham from costco?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 07:35 AM

983 posts, read 1,183,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Roast beef is a toughie (lol excuse the pun). One deli guy told me that it gets "tougher" as it gets older. don't know if it's true or not but it definitely doesn't last in my fridge more than a few days.

Usually I get it by the 1/4 pound at most.

Have you ever frozen the ham from costco?
I personally have never tried to freeze it.

But I am certain with a vac sealer it would freeze up nicely into smaller portions after opening the whole package. Not so sure about the turkey ... but probably would be fine frozen for a few weeks before use.

I have never experienced the 'tough' old roast beef you describe. Likely because if I buy roast beef its the most premium cut they have and I make sure to have it all consumed in a few short days. If ever I think its getting near the end of its shelf life I would make roast beef dip auh jus (sp?) where the meet is warmed / simmered on the stove a few minutes in the sauce which moistens it up greatly.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:40 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,460,116 times
Over the past few years here in CT. I have noticed grocery stores upping deli costs alot. It started at the highend stores (Highland Park) but now Stop and Shop and Shop Rite have been rising. I prefer to go to BJ's now for deli stuff.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:46 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,460,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
At least in my area, that has nothing to do with it. Our supermarket deli workers are union.
Very true I think it has more to do with a shift in buying patterns. years ago I used to see Deli meat on the front page of the grocery ad now it's buried (accept for certain times like land o lake cheees for 3.99 a LB.) My guess is they have decided deli is a make up item. In other words they are using higher margins on deli products to cover lower costs on sale items. My guess would be it was more of a draw to advertise $1.99 boneless chicken breast and $0.99 Pepsi. They then figure most people won't go to 2 stores so they buy the deli meat any ways. It's one of those odd things with retail not everything is a straight markup lots of it varies based on demand and buying patterns. It's like candy bars at check out. They don't sell alot but they make alot on each one they actually sell.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:05 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,074,110 times
Most store-sliced cold cuts do perfectly well for a few weeks when frozen in a plain old ziploc baggie. When your ready, let the bags thaw in the fridge for a day or so and enjoy. I had some yummy corned beef yesterday and an over-stuffed pastrami on rye over the weekend. Good eats!

Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Same here - double digits for decent cold cuts (mostly real meat with minimum scraps used as fillers) at regular (not bargain/discount) stores.
Good food isn't cheap in the US anymore...
Junk with mystery meats is still fairly cheap, though...
This ^^
When you get cheap meats that are (especially precooked), they often plump them up with water and sodium nitrate solution to try to pass off more with less

Old 09-26-2017, 10:51 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,627,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I have seen them remove the 10+ lb whole unit from the thick vacuum pack plastic and place it in the slicer many times.

I am positive .gov guidelines mandates that health data chart be printed on the packaging ( fat - carbs sodium etc )

You would just have to ask them to pull a new slab out of the chiller to let you read the stats

Not 100% positive ... but I would think its very unlikely they are ever frozen at any point of mftg.
Back in 1981 I worked in the commissary of a large regional amusement park. One of my jobs was to thaw out the large (20 pound plus) frozen roast beef's and then slice them for deli sandwiches throughout the park. If we were buying them frozen 25 years ago I can't see why they couldn't be frozen today as well.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:56 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,074,110 times
Provisioners (SYSCO, et al.) deliver what the customer orders, be that fresh or frozen.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,482,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I don't particularly like Subway, but I haven't had any problem with the other places. Haven't noticed the meat being any more "slimy" than it is when I buy it sliced at the grocery store deli. And a lot of deli places use Boar's Head, the same deli meat you'd get at the grocery store. I think they put on plenty of meat - sometimes TOO MUCH for my liking. I don't think they are trying to "trick" me, either. My husband gets Reuben the Great from Jason's Deli and it has so much meat on it, I would have to take most of it off it were me. I HAVE taken some of the meat off when I have gotten Firehouse Subs. And I have never found Jimmy John's to be lacking in meat, either.

I miss Jason's Delis. That reuben in post #65.... That's my kind of thing! Eat half now, then save the rest for another meal! Literally 2 meals for the price of one!
Anyone else priced out of your local deli - cold cuts by the $$ cost ?

Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM

24,562 posts, read 18,305,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I miss Jason's Delis. That reuben in post #65.... That's my kind of thing! Eat half now, then save the rest for another meal! Literally 2 meals for the price of one!
I do reubens once per year at St Patrick's Day. Corned beef is always on sale then. I cook it myself. Hand sliced just-cooked corned beef is way better than I can get most places that aren't NYC or Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink