Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 10:32 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,387,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I am guessing WaWa is a sub or sandwich shop ?
It's a mid-Atlantic convenience food chain. Gasoline pumps at many of them, junk food, milk/eggs, coffee & breakfast sandwiches, a sandwich counter. A bit more diverse than most sandwich/sub chains with soups, salads, wraps/burritos, panini, quesadillas. It's not awful if there's nothing else around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 12:59 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,752,950 times
Not to change this thread into a health conversation but I was wondering if the high grade deli meats like Boars Head are still considered processed meat? For some reason I was thinking the packaged meat like Hormel etc was processed and the meat at the deli not processed.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:05 PM

983 posts, read 1,186,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Not to change this thread into a health conversation but I was wondering if the high grade deli meats like Boars Head are still considered processed meat? For some reason I was thinking the packaged meat like Hormel etc was processed and the meat at the deli not processed.
I think more or less all deli meat cold cuts are processed to varying degrees

The bits and pieces formed together to make a bigger slab are MUCH more processed is what I am thinking

Even the premium cuts of ham roast beef and turkey breast still have some type infusion of processing nitrates sodium preservatives and flavorings to varying degrees I think.

I am by no means an expert on the subject .... just sharing my thoughts

Old 09-27-2017, 01:40 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,752,950 times
I guess I was hoping that the Boars Head was just like the roast you would pull out of your oven. So there is no way to get non processed meat unless you just cook it your self. Maybe I need to go that course.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:25 PM

983 posts, read 1,186,205 times
Quote:
I guess I was hoping that the Boars Head was just like the roast you would pull out of your oven. So there is no way to get non processed meat unless you just cook it your self. Maybe I need to go that course.
I would wait for greater minds than my own to chime in before I came to that conclusion

As I stated above... that's just my hunch

Old 09-27-2017, 02:50 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,924,738 times
Quote:
I guess I was hoping that the Boars Head was just like the roast you would pull out of your oven...
That roast you pull out of your oven has been processed. First, it had to be processed by a butcher to get the cut you purchased. Then, you applied your "additives" to the roast and placed it in the oven to be further processed through application of heat.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:54 PM

56 posts, read 98,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Seriously? I can't imagine any deli just abandoning a 4 pound chunk of meat because they opened a new one. At the very most they would slice it and sell it for a buck cheaper than usual.

What possible reason should you have for tossing out over $1000 a week of cheese and meat ends? Do you not have refrigeration? What makes these pieces valueless? Is it because you were selling $10,000 of product per day and it didn't matter much, percentage wise?

I am not saying that it is abandoned. The problem is that you have an open 4 pound chunk, and now a brand new opened 9 pound chunk (or whatever the case may be). The likelihood of now selling 13 pounds of X ham before it expires, especially if it is not a popular variety, has been greatly reduced. Then take into account that the next day or so another customer has the same request with the same ham, and there you go...

Between the store brand and Boars Head we have around 100 different varieties of meats and cheeses. The first few slices and last few slices of all these are discarded because no customer wants the end pieces. This is why they are valueless.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:07 PM

56 posts, read 98,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Thank you for your post, funeral979, but it made me curious - please see the bolded part:

"We hear these comments all the time, so of course we have to comply (usually begrudgingly). And that ham that still had 4lbs. left on it that you didn't want me to slice a half pound off of will likely go to waste. Once any of these meats are opened, you have just reduced the shelf life by a few weeks, and we will have to eat the costs. On an average day we throw away between $150-$200 in cheese & meat ends. Most deli slicers will not sell you the ends anyway, so these requests are unnecessary and are a factor in prices going up..."

...... are you telling us that opened meats/cold cuts are sitting on the deli shelf for several weeks??? And you wonder why customers ask you all those "annoying" questions?
When I go to a deli counter, and want to buy some of your double-digit priced high-end ham or roastbeef, I want to make sure that it was not resting on the display, OPENED, for several weeks already....

BTW: most business conscious deli places use the ends to make various salads, or repurpose them in other ways. Many places put the ends into small containers and sell them cheaper to frugal customers.
Why is your place throwing away between $150-$200 in cheese & meat ends a day?

Our store policy is to not sell end pieces to customers, unless of course they want to pay full price for it. Some stores in our chain used to sell end pieces of cheese at a discount, but I don't think they do that anymore so it may be a company policy now. The exception to this would be parmesan rind ends, but nothing behind the deli counter.

To answer your first question, opened meats are not sitting around open for more than a week. Once any meat is open, it must be discarded in 7 days (3 weeks for cheese). For example, if a Boars Head turkey has an expiration of say November 10, when you open it the turkey now must be sold 7 days from today, regardless of what the expiration says on the package. This is what I meant by reducing the shelf life by a few weeks...

Old 09-27-2017, 03:35 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,493,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
I'm pretty sure all customers are already trained their whole lives to look for discounts.
Discounts also create a moments of opportunity that can change when and how much something is purchased... a "buy only when cheap, and don't bother otherwise" mentality. If people know product X can get cheaper, then they'll just wait.

For example, I only go to McDonalds if a get a worthy coupon. Otherwise, I'll go to a local eatery since they never do discounts.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:00 PM

828 posts, read 697,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I no longer believe the supply and demand statement. I see it thrown out a lot, on a lot of different products. It seems in many cases what we see today is price goes up, demand goes down, price goes up even more. As business have gotten so large in comparison to purchase power of the typical customer, the old rules of supply and demand, and competition have broken and some new rule set has taken over. The individual purchase power is so low in comparision to corporate size that they don't have to provide competitive value -- more a case of "where you gonna go?"
^^Spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink