Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:10 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,454,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
In the US sugar is used on almost everything, even savory dishes ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
This is true and most unfortunate. Sugar, unless used properly, absolutely ruins a dish. Jarred pasta sauce is my pet peeve. I do not want to eat my spaghetti with what tastes like tomato-flavored applesauce.
Hmm - IME, as far as HOME MADE savory food, I can think of only one recipe that uses sugar - the rest (I'd ALMOST say all but I can't go through that many recipes right now) do not. Processed food, yes, I agree. In fact, it has become so prevalent, I'm finding I dislike MORE foods that are processed than I used to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 01:12 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes. Any substance that is derived from plants and used as a flavouring agent can be considered a spice...
Rosemary isn't a spice, sage isn't a spice, cilantro isn't a spice, thyme isn't a spice...

Old 10-06-2017, 02:11 PM

876 posts, read 813,950 times
I've been using my own spice blend to use on everything from eggs, pasta dishes, buttered toast, hamburgers, etc.

Just buy separate bottles of onion and garlic powder, cayenne, paprika, chili pepper and ground black pepper and salt. I also use a small amount of sugar, it's not a significant amount calories used as a condiment and flavor enhancer.

You can experiment with different ratios, but at first go probably 50% salt, then use roughly equal amounts of the peppers, and much smaller amounts of onion and garlic powders which are strong tastes. Blend well and shake onto your favorite foods.

The benefit is you cut down on the amount of salt used to season your food and it adds a lot of flavor.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,476,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Hmm - IME, as far as HOME MADE savory food, I can think of only one recipe that uses sugar - the rest (I'd ALMOST say all but I can't go through that many recipes right now) do not. Processed food, yes, I agree. In fact, it has become so prevalent, I'm finding I dislike MORE foods that are processed than I used to!
Yeah I don't get this sugar is in all American food. I am born and bred in America. The only sugar I ever use in savory is brown and then only in BBQ rubs. My mother (horrible cook) and my father (a pretty good cook) never used it. My MIL from middle America never uses it. I do not taste it in my friends and family's food.
Is this just a sterotype?

Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
...The only sugar I ever use in savory is brown and then only in BBQ rubs...
Yep, me too. However, I do use a lot of onions in my cooking, and they tend to sweeten a dish.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:07 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,006,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Have you tried smoked paprika? It's a new favorite of mine.
Isn't it strange... I loved smoked meats & paprika, but I tried smoked paprika & tossed it after a couple of tries cuz I found it inedible. I can't explain why this happens... I love coffee but coffee flavored "things" aren't to my liking (candy, ice cream) & I could go down the list of many other things.

An exception is onion & garlic potato chips (not sour cream, chive & onion, cuz those taste terrible to me)... but, I haven't seen them since I was a kid. Guess it's not a sought after flavored chip.

Glad you enjoy it, though.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Garam Masala goes well with lots of things, surprisingly. From sweet to savory.

Old 10-06-2017, 04:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Cayenne or aleppo peppers can be used almost everywhere, I use that all the time.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
...I tried smoked paprika & tossed it after a couple of tries cuz I found it inedible...
Ha!!! I did the same thing. I just didn't care for the type of smokiness it added, and I'm an avid BBQer.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:51 PM

23,544 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I like spicy food, so cayenne pepper for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink